Wind Chill Advisory Thurs - Sat, Jan 4 - 6 (Winter Storm Warning CANCELlED)

callista said:

Delayed opening for SOMA tomorrow.

SOMSD now closed tomorrow (Friday).

tom said:

As I understand it, the cold air plays tricks with your cardiovascular system. Your blood flow constricts in ways it doesn't in warmer weather and that's why people have heart attacks. Your lungs hurting could be another symptom of the same thing. 

I don’t think so, but I’ll keep it in mind. I’ve had slight adult-onset asthma in the past and suspect that’s what it is... 

I was more tired out from the shoveling I did than has been the case in the past. I thought it might have been because of the extreme cold, but I'm not getting any younger.  

Scully said:

joan_crystal said:

Started shoveling at 11:30 this morning.  Just finished clearing a one shovel width path over 225 feet of sidewalk and a narrow path from the house to the sidewalk.  Still need to do at least one of the four cutouts to the street.  Snow was too heavy for me to do more today.  Will colder temperatures make it easier to move tomorrow???

Gracious!!!

What happened to your regular guy from last year?  Give me the word and I’ll help you schedule someone for the next storm. Some exercise is okay but you shouldn’t overdo in this record cold!

Joan!  Next time you can use a hand, PLEASE send me a message on FB, and I’ll pop over and take care of it.  That’s a lot of linear feet to do in such terrible weather. 

4’9” is a monster, would love to see ehat that looks like. Pics please.

I'm in my 70s.  I was able to dig a shovel wide path and hope to expand on it this morning.  Snow was heavy and kept drifting back over sidewalk I had cleared.  Hopefully conditions will be better today.

ctrzaska said:

Scully said:

joan_crystal said:

Started shoveling at 11:30 this morning.  Just finished clearing a one shovel width path over 225 feet of sidewalk and a narrow path from the house to the sidewalk.  Still need to do at least one of the four cutouts to the street.  Snow was too heavy for me to do more today.  Will colder temperatures make it easier to move tomorrow???

Gracious!!!

What happened to your regular guy from last year?  Give me the word and I’ll help you schedule someone for the next storm. Some exercise is okay but you shouldn’t overdo in this record cold!

Joan!  Next time you can use a hand, PLEASE send me a message on FB, and I’ll pop over and take care of it.  That’s a lot of linear feet to do in such terrible weather. 

Thank you!  I really appreciate the offer.  Unfortunately, it really wouldn't have helped with this storm.  I cleared the sidewalk in front of the house yesterday, I really did.  There were witnesses.  This morning, when I went out to check, it was all covered with snow as if nothing had been done.  Surface is crunchy, not slick, so plenty of traction.  I will wait until the wind dies down to try again.  In the meanwhile, persons passing in front of my house should wear high boots and they will be fine.

Copihue said:

4’9” is a monster, would love to see ehat that looks like. Pics please.

The post said 4.9 inches, as in less than 5 inches.  Not 4 feet 9 inches.

I think we actually got closer to 6 inches.

Shoveling snow in 30 degree weather is one thing.... temperatures such as now, are a different matter. Don't do it, regardless of your age.

Because of exertion, we inhale cold air deeper and faster. This causes the sacs in lungs to freeze and burst. They don't repair themselves.

Today is no day for shoveling.  Yesterday was not bad, at least before sundown. 

How are the local roads today?  Anyone been out?

Today is actually better than yesterday.  A  lot less drifting and wind is not as bad.

roads are plowed. Secondary toads heave been salted.

Did they ever plow Ricalton Square parking lot? As of yesterday evening, no plows had been through there.

If I ever have another band, I think I might call it The Secondary Toads.  smile 

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Secondary toads heave been salted.

How cruel.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

How delicious.

10 million thanks to the anonymous person who shoveled access to the crosswalk at my corner so pedestrians could get safely off the block this morning.  You consideration is so very much appreciated.

ridski said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

How cruel.

oh oh 

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

roads are plowed. Secondary toads heave been salted.

Thankfully the slugs were not.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.