"Serial" - interesting true crime podcast from This American Life team

Duh, I didn't even think to check for an updated podcast! I need to re-subscribe on my phone.

Wait, what? There's a new Serial episode? Where?

No, no, no! It was just a post on their website. oh oh

Oh oh oh Sorry!!! She mentioned she would update so I just assumed it came in podcast form too.

Strange world:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bal-serial-shrimp-sale-crab-crib-20150209-story.html

That's really bizarre. I don't even recall the reference.

I think the "Shrimp Sale at the Crab Crib" exchange occurred in Episode 5 when SK and her producer Dana were trying to see if the prosecution's timeline could actually occur in the given timeframe.

SK is describing exactly how much time it takes to get from Place A to Place B to Place C. During a pause, Dana obliviously reads the sign out loud as they drive by it. SK then cuts into her narration, "Sometimes I wonder if Dana is actually listening to me."

I think it stuck with people because it was a welcome light moment and most of us have been on both sides of that type of exchange: the concentrating person exasperated by the non-sequitur, and the innocent person who doesn't mean any harm but can't help reading a sign along the road, particularly for a food joint. Plus the alliteration just gives it a fun sound.

"Adnan Syed’s story continues post ‘Serial’ in new podcast"

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/adnan-syeds-story-continues-new-podcast/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=newshour

This is the point at which I find out that I'm really not all that interested in this case. I was very interested in Serial's investigation of the case, which really isn't the same thing at all. In other words, I'm not going to be listening to this. (Especially given the obvious lack of impartiality.) I'm eager to see how this all gets resolved in the courts, but the idea of even more endless parsing of the specifics makes me sleepy.

@Frank that was my first instinct too. Although reading the article, it looks like it could still be an interesting examination of the criminal justice system through the lens of this case, which is what I found fascinating about Serial. I may give it a few episodes.

Ehhh. I don't know. What made Serial so good was a) the excellent storytelling, and b) the fact that it was relatively unbiased. I'll listen to this new podcast once or twice but I'm not super excited about it overall.

Just finished the entire podcast in a week. Hoping someone can help me with these nagging issues:
1. How can they convict this kid without testing the DNA evidence from the girls body- how could it not have been tested? It would have made things so much clearer? He was essentially convicted on jays testimony? And cell ping?
2. If he did it, why would he engage Jay in helping him? Jay says it's because the was the criminal element at the school. But kids who are the criminal element don't say that. It's stupid. He sounds like a wanna be thug. And why did he tell his co-worker about burying the body? They were not close, it's like he was planting this information.

I felt hopeful (and it made total sense) that some totally different killer did it and the guy the law professor suggested seemed plausible. But then what was Jays deal? I keep thinking Adnan annoyed him with his popularity and achievements and friendliness with his girlfriend. Jay to me had a touch of sociopathy, not the kid convicted. He was too well liked before and after- all those years at the prison. If he was a psychopath he would have sought power, some people would have been mysteriously hurt, etc.

Some news on the new season:

http://www.nytimes.com/blogs/artsbeat/2015/09/23/serial-podcast-to-take-up-bowe-bergdahl-case/

Fans of Serial may also enjoy the Missing Maura Murray podcast, about the search for a UMass student who went missing after crashing her car in 2004. It isn't as polished or as well-written, and the first couple episodes are kind of a mess, but it has some of the same compelling elements that made Serial addictive.

Wow, interesting that they would choose a very active current case. I know Adnan hadn't exhausted his legal channels but the case itself was pretty old.

Adnan is getting a new trial

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/us/serial-adnan-syed-new-trial.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=63990484&pgtype=Homepage&_r=0

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!