Why do people talk during concerts?

I didn't pay to listen to your conversation.  I did tell them to shut up this time.  Usually I just glance over annoyingly - sometimes this works- no so much tonight.


Unfortunately, many modern audience members seem to treat performance venues as an extension of their lounge rooms, and behave accordingly.


can I ask how old they were?


.drummerboy  said:

can I ask how old they were?

50-60s.
another time I was at a Billy Joel show a couple in their 20s were talking the whole time / sounded like s first date


I have to say it depends on the context. If it's chamber music, maybe you don't need to speak. An acoustic singer-songwriter in a bar? I expect chatter. Heck, I played bass in a rock band in the 90s and one gig we played in a bar the lights were on all on and I could hear my girlfriend talking over our entire set. 


I notice this at the Rent Party shows, in particular.  The people in the back near the bar are yapping like they re just in a bar and not at a show.  I think, why would you buy tickets if you're not interested in the music and are just hanging out?  There are bars, mostly with no cover charges



Not sure I would categorize a band at a bar a "concert".  Those are more social situations.

I was at the Wellmont - Genesis cover band - sure it's a rock show - but when I can hear a conversation that's as loud as the music - I'm not happy.  grin

And for anyone who is into old Genesis - The Musical Box is fantastic!


Couple of years ago I went to see David Broza at sopac, group of teenagers behind us were giggling and criticizing how weird the music was….that’s the last time I went to sopac. 


bub said:

I notice this at the Rent Party shows, in particular.  The people in the back near the bar are yapping like they re just in a bar and not at a show.  I think, why would you buy tickets if you're not interested in the music and are just hanging out?  There are bars, mostly with no cover charges


People go to support the charity, they buy tickets, they buy drinks, and they want to hang out with their friends there. Sometimes the bands are secondary to the social facet of the experience.

I've gone to see friend's bands play at places like Pickett's, and it's part of a party atmosphere. And that's the thing... Sometimes you're getting a gang together to go see a band that haven't hung out together in a while so they have a lot of catching up to do. If The Musical Box gig was a sit-down affair, and I was with friends like that and needed to be as loud as the band to have a conversation, I'd leave and hang by the bar on the second floor instead rather than ruin it for everyone else, though. No need for me to blow my voice box out for early Genesis.


As someone who sees lots of live music, mostly in small clubs, I think it often depends on the size and type of venue. At the Beacon or Wellmont theaters, you can talk and probably not disturb too many folks. At a small jazz club, like Drom, or Blue Note or Birdland, the music can be quiet and/or subtle, and it demands focus and silence on the audience's part. Maybe that's just my bias showing. 


This happened to me at a Mens Glee Club concert.  Th people talking behind me were guest performers whose set was later in the show.  I spoke with the choral director for the group.  No more problem.


jamie said:

Not sure I would categorize a band at a bar a "concert".  Those are more social situations.

I was at the Wellmont - Genesis cover band - sure it's a rock show - but when I can hear a conversation that's as loud as the music - I'm not happy. 
grin

And for anyone who is into old Genesis - The Musical Box is fantastic!

Peter prog Genesis or Phil pop Genesis (or a mix)? 


All Peter - with all the poetry and costumes.



The Rent Party tix are cheap but the acts are first rate and known.  They're not bar bands.   


My thought is if you go to a bar or a club when a band is playing, then talking is okay if there is no reserved seating to watch the band.  If you go to a bar or club and there is reserved seating to watch the band then be quiet if you are in those seats.


I live in a city where few venues have reserved seating and audiences tend to be rowdy. My thought is that if it's a local bar band, make all the noise you want. If it's a touring act and everyone has to buy tickets to get in, shut up and listen.

yahooyahoo said:

My thought is if you go to a bar or a club when a band is playing, then talking is okay if there is no reserved seating to watch the band.  If you go to a bar or club and there is reserved seating to watch the band then be quiet if you are in those seats.


kthnry said:

I live in a city where few venues have reserved seating and audiences tend to be rowdy. My thought is that if it's a local bar band, make all the noise you want. If it's a touring act and everyone has to buy tickets to get in, shut up and listen.

yahooyahoo said:

My thought is if you go to a bar or a club when a band is playing, then talking is okay if there is no reserved seating to watch the band.  If you go to a bar or club and there is reserved seating to watch the band then be quiet if you are in those seats.

Kinda agree with this.  I think a lot of people who are only casual music listeners don't appreciate the quality and reputation of the performers that Rent Party has hosted.  Granted, they are usually past their big years but are respected and known and first rate musically. 


bub said:

Kinda agree with this.  I think a lot of people who are only casual music listeners don't appreciate the quality and reputation of the performers that Rent Party has hosted.  Granted, they are usually past their big years but are respected and known and first rate musically. 

Other than the outdoor party they threw in July last year, I can't remember the last time there was a Rent Party. Will there be some this year? In the Woodland, or back to the Elk's Lodge?



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Featured Events

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!