Starting a social club?

noFuture

Does anyone know of restrictions around starting a social club in Maplewood where members could purchase alcohol in a "clubhouse" location? I'm thinking like a new club, not a branch of the Moose, Elks, or Sons of Italy kind of deal.



joan crystal

Check with Liz Fritzen at town hall.  She should be able to answer your questions.  I do know that you would be needing a club license. 


Morganna

Hmmm, Victorian bar,  cool music, all politics all the time, what's the membership fee?


Kim
als4532 said:
Does anyone know of restrictions around starting a social club in Maplewood where members could purchase alcohol in a "clubhouse" location? I'm thinking like a new club, not a branch of the Moose, Elks, or Sons of Italy kind of deal.



 Join MCC?


noFuture
tomcat said:


als4532 said:
Does anyone know of restrictions around starting a social club in Maplewood where members could purchase alcohol in a "clubhouse" location? I'm thinking like a new club, not a branch of the Moose, Elks, or Sons of Italy kind of deal.
 Join MCC?

 No thank you. Part of the goal is get away from that kind of stuffed shirt, $$$ attitude. Looking for more of a dive bar, neon sign kind of feel.


Morganna

Why doesn't MOL have its own social club?


drummerboy
Morganna said:
Why doesn't MOL have its own social club?

 well, based on the posts in this thread, it's because no one knows how to form one. cheese


Kim

You don't want the 'stuffed shirt' environment, and you don't want the Elks/Sons of Italy.  

I am having some difficulty understanding what type of place (and where you would meet), let alone who would want to come?


conandrob240

why not just go to a dive bar, neon sign type of place? Why would you require this all the timeor to make your own? And why would need to be a social,club vs just buying a bar if you really want this? Try Riverside Inn in Cranford, Garwood Rest in Garwood, maybe Liberty Tavern in Maplewood. Bunny’s is pretty close (maybe is a little too clean and nice since the re-model). 


Morganna
conandrob240 said:
why not just go to a dive bar, neon sign type of place? Why would you require this all the timeor to make your own? And why would need to be a social,club vs just buying a bar if you really want this? Try Riverside Inn in Cranford, Garwood Rest in Garwood, maybe Liberty Tavern in Maplewood. Bunny’s is pretty close (maybe is a little too clean and nice since the re-model). 

 Perhaps because new liquor licenses are hard to get in NJ. And if you're going to a bar to drink do you really want to be driving home from as far away as some of those locales. I know I would love a cool local spot. I like Bunny's but there is always a loud sports event on.


conandrob240

it seems a really odd approach to finding somewhere to drink. Uber to the diviest bar of your choice or settle for the local one that may not be perfect for you. Starting a social club, finding real estate (adjacent to your house) , getting people to come- all seems like a ton of work, high probability to fail approach to a simple task like going out and drinking. 


joan crystal

Clubs generally charge a lot less for drinks than commercial bars do.  They have the ability to control who can drink at their facility (limited to members and a limited number of guests).  Most also have a social and community support component.  Very different from going to a commercial establishment.


Kim
joan_crystal said:
Clubs generally charge a lot less for drinks than commercial bars do.  They have the ability to control who can drink at their facility (limited to members and a limited number of guests).  Most also have a social and community support component.  Very different from going to a commercial establishment.

 True, but als4532 doesn't seem to approve of any of the existing clubs.  Thus, trying to get his/her clarification.


joan crystal
tomcat said:


joan_crystal said:
Clubs generally charge a lot less for drinks than commercial bars do.  They have the ability to control who can drink at their facility (limited to members and a limited number of guests).  Most also have a social and community support component.  Very different from going to a commercial establishment.
 True, but als4532 doesn't seem to approve of any of the existing clubs.  Thus, trying to get his/her clarification.

 Comment was in response to conandrob240's post.


conandrob240
joan_crystal said:
Clubs generally charge a lot less for drinks than commercial bars do.  They have the ability to control who can drink at their facility (limited to members and a limited number of guests).  Most also have a social and community support component.  Very different from going to a commercial establishment.

 Not really. We’re talking about a dollar or two a drink not tons of $. And controlling who comes seems so odd time. One of the reasons you go to a bar (unless you’re a complete alcoholic) is to meet random people, talk to friends, people-watch. If ALL the other existing bars and establishments have a clientele you don’t like, I’d suggest you’re way too picky.


nakaille

I'd suggest there are more than enough wet blankets to go around.  Why so critical of someone else's initiative?


Steven

Clearly, conandrob does not want to join a social club.

Moving on..... I think it sounds like a great idea and would love to hear more about it.


noFuture

I think the reason I'd prefer not to join an existing club is that I'd prefer to make the club more centered around my interests and ideals than an existing group. Several folks have already mentioned the benefits of social clubs over bars, almost all the reasons mentioned are basically my driving inspiration. If I had the money I'd love to own my own bar, The and maybe I will one day. The social club idea gets me close without the government taking their bite, so to speak, though I know they'll still take their chunk.


Additionally, there is the community aspect to it. Giving back in a way to organizations and groups I support, getting involved in charity etc. is desirable and deciding which groups we would support would be easier than joining a pre-existing group.


boomie

I was going to echo Als4532's comment.  Social clubs are often focused on particular interests, beliefs, and needs.   That's much different than any dive bar or hangout.


Meri

I can't answer your question as to restrictions but I think it's a great idea - don't let the naysayers get you down!  The more people can get together as a community, the better. Out of curiosity, what are you looking for in this club and are you restrictive as to who can join?  


Kim

What you are asking for (I think), died out in the 1960's.

Today the choices are VFW, Elks, Rotarians, etc.  If you can't identify with any of those groups (and don't knock them if you haven't met them), and don't want to hang at any of the licensed establishments, you are plain out of luck.

You could build a bar in your basement, and invite likeminded friends to come over.  

However, where are you going to find them if you do not frequent any of the abovementioned places?


boomie

tomcat....um, ONLINE?    Which is where so many people meet birds of a feather.  


Ridley

Getting the clubhouse before you have a club is sort of putting the cart before the horse, IMO. If you want to start a club, with your interests and ideals, find the people and have them meet somewhere currently in existence, charge a fee for membership, set up a website or a facebook group, form a board and some committees, register as a 501c3... But get the members first.


Sally
ridski said:
Getting the clubhouse before you have a club is sort of putting the cart before the horse, IMO. If you want to start a club, with your interests and ideals, find the people and have them meet somewhere currently in existence, charge a fee for membership, set up a website or a facebook group, form a board and some committees, register as a 501c3... But get the members first.

 It wouldn't be 501(c)(3) which is for charitable (vs social) organizations, but there is a 501(c) category for such clubs.  Google 501c and I think you'll find it.



Ridley
sac said:


ridski said:
Getting the clubhouse before you have a club is sort of putting the cart before the horse, IMO. If you want to start a club, with your interests and ideals, find the people and have them meet somewhere currently in existence, charge a fee for membership, set up a website or a facebook group, form a board and some committees, register as a 501c3... But get the members first.
 It wouldn't be 501(c)(3) which is for charitable (vs social) organizations, but there is a 501(c) category for such clubs.  Google 501c and I think you'll find it.

Find the people, then build the club.


Kim
boomie said:
tomcat....um, ONLINE?    Which is where so many people meet birds of a feather.  

I can't stand vague/vapid statements.  I am trying to get him/her to state what kind of people he/she would like to associate with.  



noFuture
tomcat said:


boomie said:
tomcat....um, ONLINE?    Which is where so many people meet birds of a feather.  
I can't stand vague/vapid statements.  I am trying to get him/her to state what kind of people he/she would like to associate with.  


 I don't think it's about a certain type of person. But living in the Hilton neighborhood, I imagined it as a kind of Hilton Neighborhood Social Club, not that it would be exclusive to people in Hilton, but would like to have the meetings in the neighborhood, eventually if the club happened we'd try to have the clubhouse in Hilton, make it walkable, etc. 



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Real Estate Listings

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business