South Mountain Reservation Family Campout, Sept. 13-14 (2014) - Reserve your spot now!

The South Mountain Conservancy and Essex County Parks are excited to announce the first South Mountain Reservation Family Campout on Sept. 13-14, a complete camping experience for families with young children (up to age 12).

In addition to being the only non-Scout group permitted to pitch a tent on the reservation, we will offer hikes, games, s'mores and stories around the campfire, morning yoga, a scavenger hunt, and more!

Space is limited. Sign up by visiting The South Mountain Conservancy's website at http://www.somocon.org.

Cool! Is there any flexibility to come a little late Saturday? My son has a birthday party that day until 6pm but I know he'd love this. I'm just not sure how structured the event will be. It sounds wonderful!

Sure, you can join us late. You'll miss some activities during the afternoon but will arrive while folks are eating dinner. You'll make the evening walk and games, as well as the campfire activities, plus Sunday's activities. We are trying to strike a balance by providing some structure, but also by giving people flexibility to go do their own thing.

Hope you can come!

So if you have children older than 12, you have to leave them at home?

The bee family paid - sending in the registration form shortly!

Do we need to bring sleeping bags and tents? If not, where do we sleep? Also would it be a big deal to leave early on Sunday for Hebrew School?

There's a PDF on the somocon.org site that says to bring tents, sleeping bags, etc as well as other details.

@RossesPoint- Thanks. I missed that somehow.

@callista - All the activities in this event have been geared toward younger children.

@melandmike - Yes, no problem packing up and leaving early.

It's set to be a fun time - hope you can make it!

We're signed up and psyched to go! Just wondering how close to capacity the event is, before I talk it up to others.

Any chance this event is happening again this year

Yes - we'd love to do it again. Even got a new tent oh oh

This thread is a big fake out....I just went to the somocon,org site and was cursing myself for not be able to find the link to sign up.

Oh well, lets hope they do it again.

bog said:
This thread is a big fake out....I just went to the somocon,org site and was cursing myself for not be able to find the link to sign up.
Oh well, lets hope they do it again.

Oh, I'm sorry =(

Is @wellred still around? If so, it would be great if (s)he could update the thread title.

Nothing on their website about a campout:

http://www.somocon.org/

I added 2014 to the thread title

I just emailed a friend (not on MOL) who is in the Conservancy to find out if there is anyone to contact for more info and/or if he knows whether the event will be repeated. I'll post back if I learn something.

sac said:
I just emailed a friend (not on MOL) who is in the Conservancy to find out if there is anyone to contact for more info and/or if he knows whether the event will be repeated. I'll post back if I learn something.

Thanks - hopefully you let him know that a mere rumor about a repeat generated interest.

mjh said:
Nothing on their website about a campout:
http://www.somocon.org/

Yeah I didn't see it there, that's why I came here to see. It's how I learned about it last year!

Thanks @Jamie for clarifying the thread title!

Here's what I heard back from my email:

Thanks for alerting me. I do not monitor MOL. Please direct them to the website, www.somocon.org which now has preliminary information. It is tentatively scheduled for Sept. 19-20. We will not be running the program, however, unless we get additional volunteers to help out.

(The first person I got to said that whoever worked on it last year, and presumably did the MOL posting, is not involved this year. So from that and the above statement, I doubt that we will be getting further updates here.)

FYI, Looks like the campout is back on next month, details on their website.

So an intrepid South Orange family could camp in New Waterlands the night of the 18th, then in the Reservation the night of the 19th, and then attend Playday on the 20th...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.