SOMSD Calendar 20-21

Checked the calendar and noticed a "Fall Break" November 2-6th. Is this something new? Also noticed Spring Break is a day or so.  Does anyone know why? 



I also noticed that the district has the primary links to the old 2019-2020 calendar on the website, and no easy-to-find 'contact us' link...


Tall_Mocha said:

Checked the calendar and noticed a "Fall Break" November 2-6th. Is this something new? Also noticed Spring Break is a day or so.  Does anyone know why? 

Also, I think the "Fall break" had typically been 3 days: Tues of election day, then Thurs & Fri of the teachers' convention. So it appears they threw in the Mon & Weds of that week for good measure to turn it into a week-long break.


This has been a long time coming.  We did take our kids out once on that week because it seemed like such a wasted week and it was the only time we were able to get to the grandparents that year.  I always thought that we needed a real break in the fall as well as the spring.  This year, it seems to have helped with scheduling that some of the Jewish holidays fell on the weekend.


sac said:

This has been a long time coming.  We did take our kids out once on that week because it seemed like such a wasted week and it was the only time we were able to get to the grandparents that year.  I always thought that we needed a real break in the fall as well as the spring.  This year, it seems to have helped with scheduling that some of the Jewish holidays fell on the weekend.

 Seems they took from the Spring Break to make this fall break. Well seeing as how the kids are already home, I suppose I can welcome it, will be a much needed break from the PC screen


There hasn't been a full week break in February in a few years.


Tall_Mocha said:

sac said:

This has been a long time coming.  We did take our kids out once on that week because it seemed like such a wasted week and it was the only time we were able to get to the grandparents that year.  I always thought that we needed a real break in the fall as well as the spring.  This year, it seems to have helped with scheduling that some of the Jewish holidays fell on the weekend.

 Seems they took from the Spring Break to make this fall break. Well seeing as how the kids are already home, I suppose I can welcome it, will be a much needed break from the PC screen

Spring Break is still a week as has been the case every year I recall.  As mrincredible says, they haven't had a full week for the February break in years.  Now it's just a 4-day weekend for Presidents Day, I think.  I think the main difference this year is two of the three Jewish high holidays falling on a weekend, giving them two more days to work with than in some years.  


Tall_Mocha said:

sac said:

This has been a long time coming.  We did take our kids out once on that week because it seemed like such a wasted week and it was the only time we were able to get to the grandparents that year.  I always thought that we needed a real break in the fall as well as the spring.  This year, it seems to have helped with scheduling that some of the Jewish holidays fell on the weekend.

 Seems they took from the Spring Break to make this fall break. Well seeing as how the kids are already home, I suppose I can welcome it, will be a much needed break from the PC screen

 Spring break is still a full week, it's just harder to see because it cuts across months: March 29-April 2.




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Real Estate Listings

Advertisement