SO Property Reval 2016-17

We received our "fair market value" letter today, but in order to receive the property card it seems one has to Email a request. This seems unfair. We should be able to view specifics immediately. Otherwise how would one even know if the assessed value has any merit?

Also, I am unable to login to schedule an appt through the link/login and password provided. Anyone else?

Does it say what your new taxes will be?

Vivaldo said:

I *think* that if your proposed assessed value is more than 27% above the current assessed value, your property taxes should increase. If below, then it should decrease.

I don't think it is that hard to email a request , is it?

The amount of taxes you owe will only come from the Township. The company was only responsible for assessing market values.

Vivaldo said:

They provide the calculator...you can get your projected tax bill from it.

Steve said:

Vivaldo said:

I *think* that if your proposed assessed value is more than 27% above the current assessed value, your property taxes should increase. If below, then it should decrease.

Steve -Where did you get the 27%? I've been trying to get that number.

My understanding was that the letters would be sent out yesterday, Nov. 1, but we didn't receive ours in today's mail.

There's a worksheet on asinj.com website:

http://asinj.com/revaluation.asp?p=current&id=341

eta: that page also lists the past/current reval.

marylago said:

Big thanks!

cramer said:

marylago said:

Big thanks!

Big welcome! grin

Sorry - just seeing this. Also, new proposed assessed value is 127% of 2106 assessed value.

shh said:

We received our "fair market value" letter today, but in order to receive the property card it seems one has to Email a request. This seems unfair. We should be able to view specifics immediately. Otherwise how would one even know if the assessed value has any merit?

Also, I am unable to login to schedule an appt through the link/login and password provided. Anyone else?

I think most people have a ballpark idea of what the fair market value of their house is.

The property card details the specifics used to get the assessed value, so helps in determining if they are using the wrong information. My is off about 80 square feet as per the spreadsheet, and my assessment went up over 57%, I would like my property card to see other than the square footage any other discrepancies, so I am prepared when I make my appointment.

I've actually had realtors in and have a sense of what I could sell my house for, but that's different than fair market value. No matter what, for every homeowner a property card is necessary viewing to make sure there are no errors regarding property size, number of bathrooms, etc.

mary2430 said:

The property card details the specifics used to get the assessed value, so helps in determining if they are using the wrong information. My is off about 80 square feet as per the spreadsheet, and my assessment went up over 57%, I would like my property card to see other than the square footage any other discrepancies, so I am prepared when I make my appointment.

Where are you viewing the info @mary2430 re: spreadsheet? Is it in the link?

Never mind, yes, I was looking at the spreadsheet and realize my property size is off as well as my square footage, by a decent amount. (Approx 300 sq feet).

shh said:

mary2430 said:

Where are you viewing the info @mary2430 re: spreadsheet? Is it in the link?

What the market will pay for your house and your assessed value are not the same thing. Please don't compare the two.

The only thing that matters is your assessed value compared to everyone else in town.

Steve said:

Vivaldo said:

... except that the total amount of the budget increases every year, so the taxes will increase for more households than decrease. But if your proposed assessed value is exactly 27% above current then the increase should be the same percentage as the total of the budget increases.

yahooyahoo said:

What the market will pay for your house and your assessed value are not the same thing. Please don't compare the two.

The only thing that matters is your assessed value compared to everyone else in town.

Yes, I know.

has anyone been able to schedule their appt using the aisnjcom.com/schedule.htm link and the login and password provided?

sac said:

Steve said:

Vivaldo said:

... except that the total amount of the budget increases every year, so the taxes will increase for more households than decrease. But if your proposed assessed value is exactly 27% above current then the increase should be the same percentage as the total of the budget increases.

Yes, that was, I thought, understood. I presumed that the question related to the impact of the new assessment.

Steve said:

Sorry - just seeing this. Also, new proposed assessed value is 127% of 2106 assessed value.

So sell before 2105!

sac said:

Steve said:

Vivaldo said:

The purpose of the worksheet is for homeowners to know what their taxes would have been in 2016 if the 2017 assessment had been in place in 2016. This way, homeowners can know how much their 2016 taxes would have gone up or down or stayed the same in 2016. People know that taxes go up each year, but this has to be separated from the reassessment. For South Orange, the tax rate would have been 3.008 cents per $1000, instead of 3.828. I don't know what Maplewood's tax rate would have been.

I had a very difficult time trying to explain this to the VP and Trustees for the 2012 South Orange reassessment. They kept insisting that they couldn't predict what the tax rate would be. They never got the point. South Orange was a pioneer in providing a worksheet in 2008, and it helped a lot in answering a lot of questions about the 2008 revaluation. Maplewood used South Orange's example in its 2010 revaluation. I had been through several revaluations and reassessments and the 2008 revaluation was the most transparent that I had ever experienced.

Thank you VP Collum, Trustees, and Barry Lewis for making sure that this information was provided by Appraisal Systems. It is very helpful.

btw - Our new assessment is almost exactly where I thought it should be based on sales of houses in our area in the last year.

There actually is a spreadsheet on the link provided above that shows the assessments for all homes, so if you didn't get your card today and are interested to know, go to the link and click on 'Residential Assessments', near the bottom of the page.

I didn't like what I saw, but don't have all the details yet.

Ok. Did the calculations, and my property tax is $3000 more than it was last year! We have only lived in the house for 2 years, and the only major improvement made was to replace the shingles on the roof. WTF?

Steve said:

sac said:

Steve said:

Vivaldo said:

Yes, that was, I thought, understood. I presumed that the question related to the impact of the new assessment.

My observation, through several revals, is that many people do not understand this.

but the people asking the questions here do

BK2SO said:

Ok. Did the calculations, and my property tax is $3000 more than it was last year! We have only lived in the house for 2 years, and the only major improvement made was to replace the shingles on the roof. WTF?

I see that someone is up $19k in 4 years....so it could be worse.

What I don't get is how the assessed value relates to market value. If a house just recently sold, I would have thought that the assessed value would match the recent sale. But I see some that are assessed for way under a recent sale, and some that are assessed way over a recent sale. Anyone have any insight there?

Hey, it costs to keep paying off SOPAC while dealing with costs of actual services.

Has the assessor visited every residence? We are in Maplewood. And have not been contacted by anyone .

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.