Online shopping at Walmart & Best Buy (don't EVER do it again)

Our bedroom TV died a couple of weeks ago.  Replacement has to fit into a restricted space, so I got busy searching online.

Found a suitable model at Walmart and ordered it (on a Sunday).  

  • Order was confirmed for Tuesday delivery.  Nothing arrived.  
  • When I tracked the shipment online, the status showed up as 'In Transit', delivered to Bellville, but not out for delivery yet.
  • Same thing Wednesday.
  • Same thing Thursday.
  • When I went online to chat with customer service (CS), I learned that it had been damaged in transit and returned to the source.
  • Only then did the CS rep ask, whether I would like to order another one?  In other words, they effectively cancelled the order without making any attempt to supply another unit.
  • I said yes, and was told it would arrive on Tuesday.  
  • Tuesday nothing arrived.
  • On Wednesday I receive a message, that the order has been cancelled as this model is no longer available (no attempts at guiding me to another model).

So, on Thursday I spend considerable time researching what Best Buy, Target & PC Richards have available.  I found a suitable model at Best Buy, and they had one unit at a special 'Open Box' price, which I then ordered.  It was supposed to be ready for pick-up in 1 hour.

  • When I start tracking it 2.1/2 hours later, I get a mail that it is no longer available.
  • There is no offer of substituting:anything from another store, or a new unit at prevailing price.
  • I tried to get help via a chat.  However, as I paid with PayPal, the payment phone number did not match my actual phone number (which I typed in for pick-up details), so the CS rep is not allowed to help me in any way (not even cancel the order).
  • I ended up filing a non-delivery claim via PayPal.  They have confirmed it, and have returned funds.

My third choice was a TV from Target.  

  • Online it was shown as being in stock at Union North (= the Sprinfield Avenue store).  
  • When I went there to buy it, they had no stock.  
  • I finally went to the Route 22 store.  
  • Not only did they have it, but they already put a 'Black Friday' price on it, so I saved15% on the price!

Wallmart & BestBuy will remain on my **** list forever!


tomcat said:

Our bedroom TV died a couple of weeks ago.  Replacement has to fit into a restricted space, so I got busy searching online.

Found a suitable model at Walmart and ordered it (on a Sunday).  

  • Order was confirmed for Tuesday delivery.  Nothing arrived.  
  • When I tracked the shipment online, the status showed up as 'In Transit', delivered to Bellville, but not out for delivery yet.
  • Same thing Wednesday.
  • Same thing Thursday.
  • When I went online to chat with customer service (CS), I learned that it had been damaged in transit and returned to the source.
  • Only then did the CS rep ask, whether I would like to order another one?  In other words, they effectively cancelled the order without making any attempt to supply another unit.
  • I said yes, and was told it would arrive on Tuesday.  
  • Tuesday nothing arrived.
  • On Wednesday I receive a message, that the order has been cancelled as this model is no longer available (no attempts at guiding me to another model).

So, on Thursday I spend considerable time researching what Best Buy, Target & PC Richards have available.  I found a suitable model at Best Buy, and they had one unit at a special 'Open Box' price, which I then ordered.  It was supposed to be ready for pick-up in 1 hour.

  • When I start tracking it 2.1/2 hours later, I get a mail that it is no longer available.
  • There is no offer of substituting:anything from another store, or a new unit at prevailing price.
  • I tried to get help via a chat.  However, as I paid with PayPal, the payment phone number did not match my actual phone number (which I typed in for pick-up details), so the CS rep is not allowed to help me in any way (not even cancel the order).
  • I ended up filing a non-delivery claim via PayPal.  They have confirmed it, and have returned funds.

My third choice was a TV from Target.  

  • Online it was shown as being in stock at Union North (= the Sprinfield Avenue store).  
  • When I went there to buy it, they had no stock.  
  • I finally went to the Route 22 store.  
  • Not only did they have it, but they already put a 'Black Friday' price on it, so I saved15% on the price!

Wallmart & BestBuy will remain on my **** list forever!

 --- ain't never tried Walmart or Target online but Best Buys online sucks.


I did Walmart online once, for a small item. Worked out ok. Never did Target or BB. Don't think I ever would. Too many alternatives.


In general we've had good luck with Walmart, but have had items canceled without notice.

I never trust Target's website when it comes to availability.  Given the general chaos at the Vauxhall store, I know they have no idea what is on their shelves.

We're trying to avoid using Amazon.  What are some recommended alternatives?


Well, TBH, my main alternative is Amazon. I'm a bit of an AZ junkie. confused

For computers or electronics, I like to use Micro Center or Tiger Direct.


I have actually had fairly good experiences with Target online (with in store/curbside  pick-up). True, the likelihood of an item being unavailable after I order it is fairly high, but they have been quick to correct the mistake with fast shipping of the replacement item to my home (no shipping charge).  I have been trying to use them instead of Amazon because of this difference in customer service between the two. 


You can confirm Target has a desired item on the shelf by ordering it online for in store pickup, and then waiting for confirmation that is ready for you to pickup. 


I too try not to use Amazon.  I am not sure if other vendors  treat their employees any better, but I try to at least spread it out.   For computers, I use HP.COM, where I have an employee discount.  I do order a fair amount from Target, no problems, Bed.Bath.Beyond, excellent service, Macy's, also excellent service.  In all instances I have had everything delivered.  I've also had CVS items delivered.  Or I try to go directly to the vendor rather than use Amazon, but sometimes Amazon has items that no one else does.  As a side point, I have at least half the time found Amazon more expensive than other options - ex. I got Kleenex at half the price listed on Amazon from Target.


I too try to avoid Amazon, but still use them for specialty items (mostly supplies for the greenhouse), which I can't get elsewhere.  Recently I have found that a number of greenhouse items are available from Home Depot (as special order items only).


We like B&H for electronics and free, fast delivery when we can’t make it into the city.


Yes, we use B&H for electronics and printer ink. Good service and fast shipping. 


i got a laptop at micro center, broke within months and tech support was aggravating.  there are a few mom and pop shops around.  one is on North Ave in westfield and another off main street i think in madison...i'd have to try to look them up...if you really need something specific, I would go with a mom and pop shop.


Didn't think of B&H.

Just checked their website.  Model I bought at Target is 20% higher on B&H web site.  Then I got 15% off at Target, so total savings buying at Target are 34.6%.


I’d pay a 50 percent premium just to avoid driving on Route 22.

Avoiding the rest of the hassles that wasted your time would all be gravy.


DaveSchmidt said:

I’d pay a 50 percent premium just to avoid driving on Route 22.


 Is there a worse road?


I agree that Rte 22 through Union is no fun.  However, if you are willing to drive like a NYC cab driver (in effect, playing Chicken with all the other drivers), it is possible to get through.  

I do not usually drive like that, but Rte 22 is a unique case.


Re: Route 22, we have always referred to its “right” side and its “wrong” side. If a destination involves a U-turn on 22, I find a different destination. 


with 22, i will drive further down to make a safer u turn to go in the other direction...for example, i will go past the Christmas Tree Shop where you can get off into Springfield and re enter the other direction, rather than go through the center u turn.   Eastbound you can get off on I think Fairfield, come out on Chestnut in Union and head back to westbound 22.


We typically purchase tvs through either amazon or Costco online and don’t have issues


drummerboy said:

 Is there a worse road?

 In NJ, no.  In the US, the Cross Bronx Expressway.  It's even won awards for its awfulness...


dianaid said:

drummerboy said:

 Is there a worse road?

 In NJ, no.  In the US, the Cross Bronx Expressway.  It's even won awards for its awfulness...

 nah - I commuted on the CBE for a number of years, I think 22 is worse. Then again, I never had to use any ramps - I just drove it straight through from one end to the other.




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.