Nissan Pathinder, Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot (2016) - Which Way Do I Go?

I am in need of a new car this month.  In trying to make a decision I have narrowed my choices down to these three SUVs and have read pros/cons about each that are making my choice extremely difficult.  I have also test driven (?) all three.  In summary:

Pathfinder: Pros-Love the design, roomy 3rd row, comfortable interior, least expensive, more eager to deal.  Cons-have been reading about quality issues, limited aux ports in car, rear entertainment system (if I get this option) only located in back of 2nd row head rests.

Highlander: Pros-Ok design, Toyota quality, intuitive touch screen. Cons - tight 3rd row, not many deals/more expensive.

Pilot: Pros-Honda quality, ok 3rd row. Cons - Least liked exterior design, NO DEALS, tight inventory.

I was willing to try a Pathfinder, having owned both Toyota and Honda vehicles in the past.  I keep cars a long time and drive quite a bit to/from work every day, so longevity is key.  I also have kids with stuff, so I am debating whether to get the rear entertainment system.  If not, I need a car with multiple aux ports so they can plug in their devices.

Any feedback you may have, especially re: experiences owning a Pathfinder would be greatly appreciated.  I need to make a decision and purchase a car by the end of January.

Consumer Reports rates Toyota Highlander best (84), then Honda Pilot (80), then Nissan Pathfinder (72).   I agree that the Highlander design looks dated.  But the predicted reliability of the Highlander is best and owner satisfaction is best.  I don't know that the Pilot reliability will be better after a new redesign.  

It all depends what is most important to you.  

Thanks for responding so quickly.

We have owned the 2016 Pilot for 9 days and we're still getting used to it.  Generally, we are pleased.  The number of electric features requires an extended "getting to know you" period. 

We test drove, and sat in every seat of both the Pilot and Highlander.  The Pilot had a more spacious 3rd row and the interior felt more refined.

My impression is that most trim levels of the Pilot include active safety features (blind spot warning, lane keeper, etc.) that seemed to be added accessories for similarly priced trims in the Highlander.  Therefore the Pilot felt like a better value.

I totally agree there isn't much room to negotiate with the Pilot due to limited supply.  If I could have, I would have waited until the 2017 model year to by the Pilot since I'm always learry buying the first model year after a major redseign.  I think the second year is preferable since any kinks will have hopefully been resolved

Thanks Alias.  Good luck with the car.  Can you advise where you purchased it?

VIP Honda.  The decision was largely based on in-stock inventory.

I'm surprised to hear the Highlander still has a tight third row. We test drove back in 2012 and thought the same but they've redesigned it since then so I had hoped that changed. 

buying or leasing? Reliability of vehicles has so improved - short term they're probably all fine - quality of dealer service probably more important (loaners, large service shop, easy access).  

Longer term (if you're buying) - with new designs there could be hiccups, of course.  I have a couple friends who recently have found their long term warranties pay off - between cvt/many speed transmissions, electronics, complex engine management systems - there's a lot more to go expensively wrong.  

Been a couple years since I looked, but at that time gas mileage for Highlander was surprisingly low.  But that may no longer be true.

Good luck!

The Toyota Highlander is the first car that I have leased two times. Except for the tight third row which I don't use, it is a very roomy vehicle. I have the LE V6 model. I chose the V6 because I prefer the extra power to get me up and down the hills around here. Plus it's nice to get on the highway and not get run over. Lots of other nice features as well.

All,

Thanks for your comments.  To answer peteglider, I purchase my cars as I drive too much to lease and I tend to keep my cars for a long time (7-8 years), so reliability is key.

Can anyone weigh in on ground clearance?  I REALLY hate getting stuck in the snow.  I don't envision this being an issue with a 4WD vehicle, however, which is why this is a requirement.

Thanks

Look for 2015 Pilots.  You will get a good deal.  The 2016 Pilot is a total redesign.

2015 Pilot is impossible to find, we searched a few months ago. We did go with the Highlander, very happy.

windycity said:

All,

Thanks for your comments.  To answer peteglider, I purchase my cars as I drive too much to lease and I tend to keep my cars for a long time (7-8 years), so reliability is key.

Can anyone weigh in on ground clearance?  I REALLY hate getting stuck in the snow.  I don't envision this being an issue with a 4WD vehicle, however, which is why this is a requirement.

Thanks

8 inches on the Highlander. I drove in a lot of snow last year and never had a problem. i also have a 60 foot inclined driveway and never had a problem going up or down.

We bought a Honda Pilot in 2004 from Madison Honda. Had it for 11 years, loved it. Then sold it for about $7,000 -- remarkable preservation of value. Now own Honda Accord and Honda CrV. All great quality.

I was researching these exact same vehicles last month. We wound up with the Honda Odyssey. Sigh. We traded awd for enough space for 3 kids. BUT, before that, we felt that that Pilot was the best option. Long-term reliability on the Pathfinder seemed questionable, and the pricing on the Pilot with the options we wanted was better than the Highlander. Had a good experience at DCH Honda in Paramus. We used TrueCar. 

Awesome!  Thanks All for making my decision a little easier.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!