Inflationary prices - are some just hype?

So I hear egg prices are higher by 50%, 100% or even 200%.  But here is what makes  me say "what".  Chicken prices went up several months ago, but are now lower and close to the pre-inflation levels, not nearly as crazy as egg prices.  What is going on, or are we being flim flammed?

Anticipating:  Yes I have heard of bird flu, and that does not explain.


This article might answer some of the question (hint: it's what Bernie is saying).


mrmaplewood said:

So I hear egg prices are higher by 50%, 100% or even 200%.

I’m hoping that someone has firsthand experience buying eggs and can confirm.


Gas prices have been up significantly over the past year and half or so.  A lot of people screamed about inflation but in the meantime oil companies made record profits in 2022. 

Go figure....



DaveSchmidt said:

I’m hoping that someone has firsthand experience buying eggs and can confirm.

They are way up.  I bought eggs on Sunday and they were much more expensive then a few months ago.


I always think of Shoprite as having fair prices. Now  there is such a rise,especially flour items. Cereal and bread  prices have jumped. Nevertheless, you can always find something for less but it may not be what you really want. Egg prices also are higher, Again you may find something for less but wonder if they are really fresh.


Apparently some 40 million laying fowls had to be killed off because of bird flu. There’s going to be a shortage of eggs and prices will go up even more. 


We had been considering backyard chickens a while back. Were they impacted by the flu, or mostly at farms?


sprout said:

We had been considering backyard chickens a while back. Were they impacted by the flu, or mostly at farms?

It sounds like it’s the big farms that were affected. 
Here’s a link to hatcheries in New Jersey that are still selling chicks. 

https://cs-tf.com/chickens-for-sale-nj/


Thanks! I knew the couple that started https://www.mypetchicken.com/ - but they've moved to Georgia! From reading their FAQ, it appears that there are fewer baby chicks in the winter months. Not sure I'm really up for this effort... but thinking about it again...


I was at City Market at Ivy Hill recently and there wasn't many cereals below $6.


jamie said:

I was at City Market at Ivy Hill recently and there wasn't many cereals below $6.

Grape Nut Flakes at Shop Rite have gone up a lot, and other cereals that used to be 2-for-$5 are now 2-for-$7. Or more. 


Maybe ShopRite will have a can’t can’t sale this week.


drummerboy said:

here's a deep dive into egg prices

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkydd/wtf-is-going-on-with-absurd-egg-prices-corporate-greed-group-says

They had me at the price for a carton of 18 cage-free eggs in the photo.


I'm still sitting on some eggs (heh) I bought in December. Treating them as an investment.


DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

here's a deep dive into egg prices

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkydd/wtf-is-going-on-with-absurd-egg-prices-corporate-greed-group-says

They had me at the price for a carton of 18 cage-free eggs in the photo.

That photo is a bit sneakily deceptive. 


I kinda liked the disheveled look of the carton.

sprout said:

That photo is a bit sneakily deceptive. 


drummerboy said:

I kinda liked the disheveled look of the carton.

sprout said:

That photo is a bit sneakily deceptive. 

It looks very staged.


See, there you are.  An explanation for my original post.  I knew it.



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!