Clinton Pride archived

Sitting at the SOMS 8th grade graduation and have to point out that the awards for academic excellence, academic excellence/writing, most improved student, and outstanding work in drama ALL went to Clinton School alumni. A clean sweep.

For all the misconceptions that persist about the little school that can, I hope some of our stone age realtors take note.

*Edited to add Most Improved Student.

+1

Im not surprised. Looking at the fifth graders this year at the Moving Up ceremony (particularly in light of what they looked like 5 years ago!), it was clear that the school really could do no more for these kids, all of whom were ready to chew up 6th grade and spit it out. You couldn't help but feel proud for these kids, even those you didn't know well or at all. Kudos to the admin and teachers--they were justifiably beaming over a job quite well done.

so excited to see this thread!!!! and can we deconstruct the #'s the district (state?) puts out about clinton? because my experience with the school leads to the above observations (its special). why are their test scores so low? is esl considered special education (I'm wondering because if not it might explain why they are low despite special education percentages being considered). Thanks & yay to those honored in 8th grade!

Amen Ctrz!!!

My two SOMS kids have had great success so far. It's quite evident that they were MORE than prepared for middle school when they left Clinton. Clinton's administration and teaching staff are top notch!!

Realtors, update your spiels!! Tell your clients how AWESOME our school is!! And please...we BEG you...get yourselves educated on test scores!

Congrats to the graduating Clinton 5th graders!

hope4u, if you look at the disaggregated NJASK scores, the graduating Clinton gen ed 5th graders outperformed the district (during 10-11 when they were 4th graders) both in LA and math.
http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc11/rcreport.php?c=13;d=4900;s=060

The thing about Clinton is that, even in our diverse district, it is the MOST diverse elementary school (in terms of race but also in wealth, special needs and national origin).

CHS Class of 2019 oh oh.

How cute was that.

It scared the crap out of me.

ctrzaska said:

It scared the crap out of me.

I have a 2017!!! Yipes!!!

Eeek. At least you don't LOOK like you do. :-D

Clinton class of 2005- now going off to Bucknell in the fall- Love Clinton now (second child moved on 2 years ago) and then- -

xavier67 said:

The thing about Clinton is that, even in our diverse district, it is the MOST diverse elementary school (in terms of race but also in wealth, special needs and national origin).

To drive this home - the SOMS (Clinton) award winners represent this from pretty much every angle.

Eliz...love to hear that!! Congrats to all the kids on their hard work!!

Clinton School is Aces ... and that Principle O'Neil runs a tight ship (in the good sense.)

I recall being outside one evening either just before or after an event and some older 7-9th gradeish boys were slowly walking down the street in front of the school and making a bit of a ruckus. Principle O'Neil yelled at them saying "That's quite enough boys, you know we can hear you right?" and they moved along quickly and quietly. As she spun around to run off back into the building to do yet more principley things she looked at me and said in passing, "now those boys did not go to Clinton School I can assure you."

Very funny.

My daughter will be attending Clinton next fall, and when I saw Clinton's presence during the Memorial Day Parade I thought "this is definitely the place for her." It was loud and proud . . . it made me extremely happy.

yes, I think the diversity at Clinton is the best part! I can't imagine anyone feeling out of place there. I'll have to look at the test score again. it's definitely possible that I read them wrong before. SO happy to know that the sense I have of the school shows up in later years.

I love this thread and think it should be copied and distributed to every person who has maligned our terrific school. Take that all you naysayers!!!

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!