Kitchen reFurb not renno

We need our kitchen/cabinets updated, new lighting, maybe sliding shelves, repaired veneer on doors.  Where would we go, kitchen place or carpenter?

We just finished a semi-reno with Ticos. Replace floor, new counter, sand/paint everything else. Went very well and felt price was very fair. They are friendly,  efficient and, most importantly,  neat. I heartily recommend them. 

We also just did this with Hubsters:

http://www.hubyourhome.com/

It's a local business that takes care of everything. For example: our project involved adding some electrical switches and light fixtures that would require an electrician. This would cause damage to the walls and ceilings which we were also planning to paint. 

I didn't have to take a day off to meet each painter and evaluate their price, then each electrician and figure out why there was a difference between the quotes. I met with the Hubyourhome people and they took care of it.

The electricians came in and re-wired the fixtures and then left. Painters repaired the wounds to the wall and ceiling and painted, then the electricians came back and installed the fixtures we had collected.

Bonus: one of the painters LOST the key to our house. The painting company paid for replacing the locks and making new keys, but the Hubyourhome people got a locksmith in to do it the same day. I got a call at work about the lost key, and by the time I was home, there were the new keys ready to be added to my key chain. Imagine how that would usually go: "Send us the bill for the locksmithing. . ."

Also, the end result of a paint and light fixture and knob change is amazing. We waited and waited to have anough $$ to completely redo the kitchen and then "cheaped out" and painted and changed the knobs and fixtures, and everyone who comes in asks about how we "redid" it.

I know it sounds like an ad from the company, but I swear I'm a genuine satisfied customer. (Trust me, I gave them constructive criticism.)

same here - new flooring, lighting, reface cabinets, some new cabinets, take out wall, new appliances   

But I simply don't get the Homeowners Hub business model.  I'd be glad to pay a project fee for my kitchen say, but $9.95/mo, makes no sense.  I'd cancel after the kitchen was done - have no need for the service ongoingly.

Am I missing something?

peteglider 
Am I missing something?

Thinking they must get referral fees from the contractors.

I was reading their website but couldn't find the fee.  I guess if your life is busy and you are home repair challenged $9.95 a month would be a great deal for the peace of mind and no hassle.

I think it's a good fit for Maplewood and surrounding areas.

That's what I planned to do also. But they end up having all kinds of deals for subscribers, like a free energy audit, and a "handyman for a day" deal. In autumn there's a chimney cleaning/furnace service/gutter cleaning, they bundle to prepare the house for the winter. I haven't cancelled yet.

peteglider said:

same here - new flooring, lighting, reface cabinets, some new cabinets, take out wall, new appliances   

But I simply don't get the Homeowners Hub business model.  I'd be glad to pay a project fee for my kitchen say, but $9.95/mo, makes no sense.  I'd cancel after the kitchen was done - have no need for the service ongoingly.

Am I missing something?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.