Service for Appliance - dishwasher

Hi, this question will seem silly to most of you. I've never had an appliance serviced before, but our dishwasher is acting like it's been taken over by overlord machines. 

Do I just call the company? Or are there service people nearby that anyone knows that service dishwashers? 

Larry at Astre Appliance is great.

cubby said:

Larry at Astre Appliance is great.

I second Larry!  (908) 272-7744 or (908) 273-4166

He's been servicing my major appliances (dishwasher, laundry washer/dryer, refrigerator, range) for over 20 years.

He only services American brands, though. 

How old is the machine? Might it be covered under warranty?

I have used Vinnie at Orange Appliance Repair for 15 years to service kitchen and laundry appliances.

Work: 973-482-2000

Cell:  973-650-1550

I've used George's Appliances two times last year for fridge and dishwasher and more than happy with both results. 908-665-1717

Another very happy George's Appliance customer.  They recently came to repair a non-draining front loading washer and while they were here, I mentioned how noisy my dryer was.  Our laundry room is on the first floor, off our kitchen, and I intentionally had purchased machines that were sold as being extremely quiet. Two previous "authorized" repair people had been here over the years who told me the unbelievably loud noises that were coming from our dryer were normal with aging and nothing could be done.  George's said that was unlikely, and instead opined that the other repair people just didn't want to bother to open up the drum.  He took the time and repaired it for an easy and cheap repairs!  

My husband even noticed the newly quiet dryer and he never notices anything.  He was even pissed for a few minutes at the repairmen who'd claimed it couldn't be fixed, because we lived with that noise for YEARS for no reason.

Every time I notice how quietly the dryer runs, I think about George's Appliance. They literally improved the quality of life in our home.

Another vote for George's.  They repair all our appliances and when it doesn't make sense to fix one they will recommend that you forego the repair and invest in a new machine.  

@bat_chain,

Try describing the problem(s) you're having more completely.

Appliance repair brain trust, please advise :  Do you think a person could repair their own dryer when the problem is that it doesn't get hot?  The drum spins fine.  (Life in the middle ages: Can't remember exactly, but pretty sure I had a guy out to fix this exact problem in the same machine about 5 years ago.  The price was maybe half the cost of a new dryer, IIRC.)

It's a plain vanilla Kenmore gas dryer.

Thank you.

most definitely.  Probably just need to replace the coils.   If it has a control board, Google the model (look for the service manual) to find out how to put it in service mode.  Run a diagnostic to determine the problem.  Go to repairclinic.com for parts and instructions/video on how to repair.

It's usually the solenoids that need replacing when there's no heat in a gas dryer. . Easy and cheap repair. Yup, got to Repairclinic and run a diagnostic. 

Thank you. You are the best!

Well, I didn't fix the dryer myself.  I had Astre Appliance out on 5/31/16, and they replaced the thermostat and installed an exhaust duct for $267.00.   (!)

This morning, 7/21/16,  the dryer wouldn't start.  Astre said they wouldn't come out to look unless I pay another $67.00.  More than 30 days has passed.  One thing I know is that I'm done with Astre.

What should I do?  A new dryer?  What brands do you like.  I would pay a little more if it meant a break from Astre-nomical repair bills. 

Thanks in advance.

Haven't posters here ever heard of public service appliance service contracts.  For about $5 a month or less dryers would be covered.

depending on the  work involved in the exhaust duct, the cost of your repair was reasonable.  Was the dryer ducted properly before? What are the symptoms now?  No power?  No heat?  

No power, Filmcarp. Thechamp, I am calling PSE&G tomorrow.

breal said:

Well, I didn't fix the dryer myself.  I had Astre Appliance out on 5/31/16, and they replaced the thermostat and installed an exhaust duct for $267.00.   (!)

This morning, 7/21/16,  the dryer wouldn't start.  Astre said they wouldn't come out to look unless I pay another $67.00.  More than 30 days has passed.  One thing I know is that I'm done with Astre.

What should I do?  A new dryer?  What brands do you like.  I would pay a little more if it meant a break from Astre-nomical repair bills. 

Thanks in advance.

Not trying to be snarky, but were you thinking he should come out for no charge?? 

breal said:

No power, Filmcarp. Thechamp, I am calling PSE&G tomorrow.

I think there's a 14 day waiting period after the effective date of the PSE&G plan.

are you certain that the breaker is on?  Could a gfci have popped?

breal said:

Thanks in advance.

That doesn't necessarily sound unreasonable.  How much did the part(s) cost? How much time did he spend doing it?  He does warrant his work, but it sounds like you now have a different problem.  I'm pretty sure that if he came out and found that it was related to the previous repair he would take care of it.

every repair person who has worked on the dryer, and there have been at least 4 repairs by 2 different repairmen, has "repaired" the duct work. The duct work is the most "repaired" duct work in the history of dryer duct work. That is part of my frustration. Once I get on the PSE&G thing I have no doubt that the need for repeat duct work "repair" will disappear.

breal: How old is this appliance? At some point, it is no longer worth putting money into it. From your posts, its seems to be at least five years old and you have done at least one repair for over $250.

cubby, it is more than 5 years old.  And less than 10.  I don't want to get the year wrong. 

I guess I still haven't got my head around this whole planned obsolescence thing in washers and dryers.  They cost a lot.  Why don't they build them to last?

Think about the life expectance of this appliance and whether or not it really makes sense to put any more money into it.

I just replaced a dishwasher after only 3 1/2 years! I had already done one major repair on it and then the electronic board broke which was going to cost $450 to repair!

Dont confuse dryer repairs with vent repairs.  You should be able to look at your vent setup, use Google for a minute, and never pay anyone for dryer vent work again.

Norman's Appliance 973-564-9050

Norman's the best. Straight shooter. No BS. 

He's coming tomorrow.  Thanks for tolerating my vent about the vent.  Peace, all.  

Soul_29 said:

Norman's Appliance 973-564-9050

Norman's the best. Straight shooter. No BS. 

Agree - he came out and my washer drum was shot, think nominal charge - really fair. And BTW anyone will tell you at 10 yrs the washer owes you nothing. Consider it a blessing if it lasts longer. No idea of how you use it, but overloading, lots of loads every week, putting in things a home machine is not designed to do - all create accelerated wear and tear and shorten lifespan. 

We had been hand-washing all dishes and pots for a few months, putting off the repairs of our 5 year old KitchenAide; when the dryer started acting wonky yesterday with tons of vacation clothes to wash and dry, that was it! Was afraid when reading online reviews of Astre and George.  The person recommending Ed didn't go into details, so I took a chance on Norman.   question 

Got a same day appointment with Norman.  First, he started the dryer: these heat problems sometimes take a while to show up. 'Cause it was actually heating up like normal. Then he got on the kitchen floor and fixed the door springs on the dishwasher; then he evaluated the parts and the cycle: good news, CLR it and it doesn't need a new pump or sprayers. Whew!  Then he determined what parts he needed for the dryer 'cause it had stopped heating (and let me vacuum the lint out before closing it up) and took care of it. Everything is now good to go. I left a Yelp review giving him 5 stars, surprised that no one else ever reviewed him there when I've been hearing his name on MOL for more than a few threads.

smile Happy camper here!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.