Important SO Planning Board Meeting Monday Night at SOPAC

There will be a meeting of the South Orange Planning Board tomorrow night (Monday) at 7:30 at SOPAC. While several items are on the agenda, the one that is of most concern is a proposed 22-unit apartment building at 320 Valley Street. 

This will be the third Planning Board meeting about this building. In the previous two meetings, in October and December, there was significant community concerns and opposition to the proposed building. Specifically, the building will be constructed right along the backyards of several private houses along Academy Street, with an underground parking garage ending five feet from several homeowner's properties. 

In addition, there are serious concerns that the ultimate intention of the builders is to sell or lease the property to Seton Hall for use as student housing (there is a building used as SH student housing right next to it) as the building does not appear to be designed to be a "high-end" rental such as Third and Valley. 

At the December meeting, in addition to loud community opposition to the building, there was also a lot of resistance from the Planning Board itself, as the architects made changes to the building without notifying the PB in advance, as they are required to do. 

It is very important that as many residents attend this meeting as possible. If no one shows, the Planning Board may interpret that as people being okay with the construction of 320 Valley. Even if you don't live in the area, this still concerns you, as construction of this building will set a precedent in South Orange that it is okay to building large apartment buildings right on top of people's homes, and that it is also okay to have more Seton Hall student housing in town, despite the many issues that already exist with student-dominated buildings in SO.

I've been listening to the October PB meeting and will be posting a story about this shortly on Village Green. I'd love to quote your post here; can you email me with your name for attribution? villagegreennj@gmail.com. Thank so much!

Just sent you an email

marybarrmann said:

I've been listening to the October PB meeting and will be posting a story about this shortly on Village Green. I'd love to quote your post here; can you email me with your name for attribution? villagegreennj@gmail.com. Thank so much!

Village Green article about tonight's meeting and 320 Valley

http://villagegreennj.com/uncategorized/south-orange-planning-board-continues-hearing-22-unit-valley-st-apt-building-replace-abandoned-victorian/

I'd like to note that, also on the agenda, is 184 valley street. We live next door. We did not receive the required public notice and just found out it was on tonight's agenda this weekend, so I have not had a chance to see the plans. Thank goodness we were going to the meeting anyway over 320! Anyway, I am assuming it's an update of the previously denied proposal to build a 3 story building with deficient setbacks, parking, etc on a 20 FOOT WIDE lot. A foot or two from our house (all the houses in our row are close & on narrow lots - circa the 1890's). The lot is currently a surface pkg lot used by Monty Motors. We are deeply concerned with such overbuilding. We are not against development on this lot - rather, we anticipated it - but this is just too much. Last time around, the developer proposed 3 900-1000sf units plus a store on a seriously deficient lot. To note, our one single family home is 1600 sf....on the same size lot. They were deficient in parking by 40%. To note, there is seriously limited parking here (and who knows how bad it will be after 3rd & valley opens) - already, 5 adjacent houses park on 4th street (with town parking permits) because we have no driveways.  There is just no room to handle extra cars. Granting variances here sets a terrible precident.

We hope people can also stay for this case and speak up. This would negatively impact several adjacent residential homes, exacerbate a parking shortage, plus we think it's simply too much crammed on a tiny lot. 

The town can do better than this

Thanks in advance!

Not receiving notice is reason to request the board delay hearing the matter until a future meeting and for the board to do so. So you might want to bring it up.

yes, we'll let the board know. I imagine this matter wouldn't be settled tonight - but I want to let people know that 184 valley is also an issue i'm hoping they'll pay attention to. 

The town needs to take the time to devise some sort of game plan for Valley. 

Bee said:

yes, we'll let the board know. I imagine this matter wouldn't be settled tonight - but I want to let people know that 184 valley is also an issue i'm hoping they'll pay attention to. 

Wait, they want to build a 3 story on that small corner where some random cars park now? Really? And they did not inform the neighbors next to the site?

Definitely request the board to delay hearing on this project. That is so WRONG.

phenixrising said:
Bee said:

Wait, they want to build a 3 story on that small corner where some random cars park now? Really? And they did not inform the neighbors next to the site?

Definitely request the board to delay hearing on this project. That is so WRONG.

Yes - a 3 story apartment building with a store....on a 20' wide lot. Correct - we received no notice. We will be there and speak up about it tonight.

Bee,

Can you start a petition with your neighbors and surrounding area residents if they try this under-the-table ish ?  Most of those home are no more than 2.1/2 stories if I'm not mistaken. SMH!

a petition won't work.  The lawyers and developers are giving sworn testimony to the board at these meetings, so if you want to be heard you have to go in person.  You can be asked questions in return if they want to ask you questions.  I tried to send a letter for one meeting which was rejected for that reason.  I must add, though, that the board is not the bad guy.  They try very hard to hear everyone out, including people who stand up and babble.   They have forced these developers to answer our questions and do not seem to be rushing to approve projects.  Go and be heard.

Dan Dietrich

so far it looks like there are more developers here than residents.

Philip Noyer, appearing for 184 Valley developers, said that the plans will be presented next month (Feb. 1) and that he will now be sending out notices to neighbors. 

(In response to FilmCarp) this is the problem ^  barely anyone showed up for the last meeting we were dealing with. It's very frustrating.

My hubby is there tonight, btw (I'm home with the kids). Good luck, FilmCarp!

320 Valley approved with a LONG list of conditions. I'll post something soon.

Here it is. Please feel free to excerpt. http://villagegreennj.com/uncategorized/south-orange-planning-brd-approves-22-unit-apartment-complex-valley/

@marybarrmann, Thank you for covering the meeting.

Planning Board member Daniel Allen said, “I think we should slow down projects in South Orange. There are too many.”

Amen to that statement!

"Gradually, construction is overtaking net absorption by a wider margin, putting increasing upward pressure on vacancy."

This quote is from a respected commercial real estate research firm, regarding national trends in Q4 2015. SOMA should bear these trends in mind when considering any future proposals.  

Time to prioritize owned condo/townhouse development vs rentals in our area, imo. 

Read more here if interested

phenixrising said:

@marybarrmann, Thank you for covering the meeting.

Planning Board member Daniel Allen said, “I think we should slow down projects in South Orange. There are too many.”

Amen to that statement!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!