Eighth Annual Market Street Mission Donation Drive in Memory of JTA~ Now to December 12th

It's time once again for the Annual Donation Drive in memory of Jeannemarie Ahrens, for the men at The Market Street Mission. This is for a wonderful organization that helps men get off of the streets, get clean, and build meaningful lives in a long-term residency program. Though I am not a Christian, and don't believe the same things they do, I do believe in the good works of this mission, and have seen with my own eyes the miracles that occur within these men's lives from their time in the Mission’s Program. http://www.marketstreet.org/ I want to say here that Jeannie has been gone a few years now, but her presence is still deeply missed. Her mother and sisters stepped up to the plate, and they carry on in her stead, and actually it was Jeannie's sister who prodded me to get a move on with the drive this year. I am so grateful to the entire Ahrens' family.

Please donate new items for the men or your gently used goods for the Thrift Store. We also accept cash and check donations. Everything is tax deductible. Contact Meg Marlowe at megemarlowe@gmail.com to donate. There are 90 men this year. Below is their Christmas List with new items that are needed.

Items we can collect for the Thrift Store: Clothing, housewares, appliances, sporting goods, and knick-knacks. The Thrift Store accepts donations of most items except toys, magazines, tires, batteries, and weapons." (I cannot collect furniture because I use my apartment as a warehouse until the day we bring all the items up to the Mission. HOWEVER, if you wish to donate furniture, call the Thrift Store at (973) 538-0427 for free pickup.)

If you are wondering why I do this, this is from the drive in 2011:"You may wonder why I chose to run a donation drive for men instead of children or families. To be honest, I tried to donate to the homeless shelter were I had stayed, and they said they didn't want anything, so I thought of the Mission and the men I met there, and what a great job the Mission did in these men's lives to turn them around completely. The graduates from this program seem to always go on to help others. It's really wonderful. I think Jeannie's sister put it best though, when she said, "They will know that people care for them and are praying for them!" I feel that everyone deserves a second chance, everyone deserves help to change their lives, everyone deserves a hand-up. I am so grateful for my second chance, and I feel so blessed to help others who need it too.

Won't you consider donating to this very worthy cause?"Thank you all for your kindness!

PS ~ There are 90 men again this year. More info to follow...

Thank you for organizing. I'll add some of the listed items to my shopping.

Thank you! You are awesome!

EBennett said:
Thank you for organizing. I'll add some of the listed items to my shopping.

Thank you Meg for keeping Jeanne's memory alive on MOL. You know we will come thru for you again. It is what Jeanne would have still been doing!

twins2 said:
Thank you Meg for keeping Jeanne's memory alive on MOL. You know we will come thru for you again. It is what Jeanne would have still been doing!

She would have! Thanks for all you do! You represent your sister so well!

Absolutely thank you, @twins2. Your family has become the heart of this drive, and we all so grateful for all you do. Yes, you keep Jeanne's memory alive...but you have transformed this above and beyond by reaching out to your organizations, etc. It's Jeanne's family that gives me the push each year now, the way Jeanne used to. "Did you get the list yet?", and I get to work. Jeanne would be sooo proud!

marylago said:
twins2 said:
She would have! Thanks for all you do! You represent your sister so well!

Donated $ online in Jeannemarie's honor and will call them about possibly picking up a furniture donation. Thanks for doing this!

Oh! Thank you...

To be clear for everyone else... With this donation drive, we pool our resources and bring it up in one fell swoop. Otherwise they do not know that it's from our Market Street Mission Donation Drive in Memory of Jeannemarie Ahrens. We are not affiliated with the mission. It's just a right thing to do, and it's overwhelming and awesome and a real treat every year for the men.

That said, thank you so much for your caring and supporting the men at the Mission.

BTW, if you DO write checks to send/bring to me to bring up all together, please make them out to: Market Street Mission, and in the memo put, "Men's Christmas". Otherwise, the funds go in the general account, which is not bad, but not what this is about. This is not about Mission work per se, this is really all about the men having a nice Christmas.

Thank you ALL for your support over the years! We, the volunteers of this drive, and the men at the mission thank you!

mjh said:
Donated $ online in Jeannemarie's honor and will call them about possibly picking up a furniture donation. Thanks for doing this!

We have received some new sweat pants, 2 checks, and some toothpaste and other dental items so far...and the drive goes until 12/12! Thank you to all who help us each year to give these guys a nice holiday!

We aren't seeing many donations this year, and I am getting worried. I really would love if we could give these 90 men a nice holiday. Won't you please consider helping? You can PM me, or write to: megemarlowe@gmail.com, if you can help with new items for the men, or gently used items for the thrift store. Thank you for anything you can do. 

Can't believe 8 years. 

I've donated to the local Blokes Lounge ( which sounds like it's part of the Shed movement, but it's not. It's a homeless mens' shelter), and will do so again.

joanne said:

Can't believe 8 years. 

I've donated to the local Blokes Lounge ( which sounds like it's part of the Shed movement, but it's not. It's a homeless mens' shelter), and will do so again.

Very glad to hear it, Joanne!

We're getting a few really great things already, but there's only 3 weeks left. Don't be the last on your block to help these guys. They are working on getting their lives together, and it's tough and strange and lonely to be away from home for the holidays. Please help them have a bit brighter time of it. Thank you! question

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Carolyn Maynard-Parisi wrote this article for us! Thank you, Carolyn!

http://villagegreennj.com/towns/millburn/donate-market-street-mission-memory-jeannemarie-ahrens/

There's less than a week to go, and we still need so much! Please consider donating to this very worthy cause! Just PM me if you are interested in helping! Here is the men's list again for your review:

Only a few days left; please donate, and happy holidays!

We brought everything up this morning, and as usual, the men were very happy! Thank you so much for everything you all donated...you are great and should be proud of yourselves! A special shout out The Ahrens Family, who continue to honor their sister Jeannemarie with a wonderful gift bag for every man. And also thank you to my sisters. If it wasn't for them (and the Ahrens sisters), I couldn't continue to do this. THANK YOU ALL WHO DONATED! YOU ROCK!!!

meggie said:

We brought everything up this morning, and as usual, the men were very happy! Thank you so much for everything you all donated...you are great and should be proud of yourselves! A special shout out The Ahrens Family, who continue to honor their sister Jeannemarie with a wonderful gift bag for every man. And also thank you to my sisters. If it wasn't for them (and the Ahrens sisters), I couldn't continue to do this. THANK YOU ALL WHO DONATED! YOU ROCK!!!

I love doing this drive. The men are so grateful and willing to share their stories. I wish them nothing but the best.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.