Hoodwink ~2008-2015

This morning we said goodbye to our beautiful Hoodwink. Back in March, she was diagnosed with "lymphoma or mast cell tumor, or less likely moderate to severe IBD". We decided against more invasive diagnostic testing, tried putting her on prednisone, but found that it created an adversarial relationship that caused her to run from our presence and hide under the couch, so we chose to let her live out what time she had left in peace.

These last few months were up and down - she enjoyed sitting on our laps and small pleasures like catnip, even as jumping, climbing, and finally walking became more difficult - but the last few days were distinctly down, and with heavy hearts, we knew it was time. Thanks to Dr. Barnes and her assistant Greg for their caring and sensitive handling of a painful time for us. Hoodwink passed on her rug by the open back door, with the sun shining on her and the sounds of summer coming through the screen.

You were a top cat in your field, Hoodwink, and we will miss you greatly. You graced our lives by letting us love you after taking you in for what was supposed to be a TNR. We just never got to the R part. You made us laugh with all your antics and worked your charms to win our hearts forever.

Under the couch, and last day:

Such a beautiful girl. So sorry for your loss.

Hoodwink was an awesome cat. I'm so sad for you. She lived a happy, healthy life thanks to your family

I'm very sorry for your loss, Jasper. May you remember all the wonderful times you had together. Lovely photos. RIP, Hoodwink.

So sorry, Jasper. You did the right thing by letting this beautiful girl live out her remaining time in comfort and ending her pain when it was time. Rest in peace, Hoodwink

so sorry, Jasper! Sounds like you made caring, thoughtful decisions and did right by her! sniff.

Thanks, everyone. We're all just kind of walking around in a daze. We had such fun with her, and loved just cuddling and petting her right up to the end. Her illness was sort of a transitional period for us, but I know from past experience that it will hurt for some time to come to look in her favorite spots and no longer find her there. She's left us with lots of wonderful memories, even as her life ended too soon.

Thanks, wilk. It was an emotional day and I ended up feeling so wiped out in the aftermath that I had to take a nap. Once upon a time, Hoodwink might have joined me on the couch... : - (

So sorry Jasper. I will never forget how you helped us look for our cat when he ran out. You are a wonderful person and Hoodwiand looks so very loved. It is never easy. Wishing you peace.

Ms. Cooper

Thanks, ms_cooper, I remember that well. I have a soft spot for all the creatures, and it's my pleasure to do for them what I can.

Thanks, viva.

I just found the old thread about how we came to have Hoodwink in our lives: https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/id/33303-How-do-those-stray-cats-survive-this-cold-

hauscat, you were so helpful through that process, as I was learning the ropes of dealing with our feral population. I don't know what ever happened to Houdini - we would see her on a rare occasion in the year or so after getting Hoodwink, but eventually she disappeared. In that sense, you could say that Hoodwink fared well compared to how her life might have ended otherwise.

Hoodwink would have had a hard time out there...It seems so unfair that her time was so brief.

Sorry to hear this Jasper.

Thanks, tjohn. Amid all the concern about Hoodwink, we completely failed to remember that it was Eloise's birthday on Friday. She just turned 17. Sasha lived to 18, and Pepsi lived to almost 19. Hoodwink just didn't get a good hand for the long haul, but we sure enjoyed the time we had with her. She packed a lot of personality into those few years.

So deeply saddened to learn of Hoodwink's passing. Please accept my deepest sympathies. Know that you were her whole world, and you gave her kindness she would never have known without you. And you gave her the kindest gift of all. Peace to your family, Jasper, she will be missed by many.

Hi Jasper - I sent you a private message

Thank you, calli. You were so helpful and encouraging with our foray into feral adoption, and it has greatly enriched our lives. I love all my little friends both inside and outside, and the remaining ones comfort me in the loss of the ones that are gone. I'm grateful for you and all the MOL'ers that have created this animal-friendly community.

oh,jasper,you give me too much credit.

You are the one who took the giant step

Thank you for your kind words tongue laugh

These threads always make me cry as they bring me right back to all the times I've had to say goodbye to a beloved pet. I don't think I can ever be without a cat in my life. So I know exactly how you feel and how difficult your decision was. I'm glad Hoodwink had peace and comfort during her last moments. How lovely to be put to rest in the sun. You have my sympathy.

Me too, matb. And thanks.

One great thing about MOL is that I can go back and find the old threads about finding Hoodwink, the time she went missing for nearly 2 weeks and came home with Giardia, the mystery of the missing kitchen sink stopper, the flea scare, ... It's like a diary of her life, and so many of you helped me sort through each of those episodes. Thanks, again, to all of you.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.