Extending internet/wifi to an outbuilding

I have AT&T fiber service at my house. I'd like to have wifi in the workshop, which is about 500 feet away from the house. Can this be accomplished, either wirelessly or hard-wired?


You could certainly dig a trench, lay conduit, and pull ethernet cable out there. I’d do an oversized conduit for future expansion possibilities. There is also direct burial cable, but then you’d lose that flexibility. Hopefully not a rocky area.

Unless DIY, this will be pricey from an electrician. Extra pricey if rocky.

I’ll leave it to others to opine on wireless, but 500’ seems awfully far for wireless.


Looks like wireless range is 235 to 300’.  Wired it is.


Would an extender work? They seem to only give the specs in square feet, rather than line of sight.


Kthnry,

Did you end up running the wire?  Did you get someone else besides an electrician to dig the trench?


Regard,

RCH


jimmurphy said:

Looks like wireless range is 235 to 300’.  Wired it is.

 maximum run of an Ethernet cable is 328 feet (100 meters)


drummerboy said:

 maximum run of an Ethernet cable is 328 feet (100 meters)

 and coax is?...


kthnry said:

I have AT&T fiber service at my house. I'd like to have wifi in the workshop, which is about 500 feet away from the house. Can this be accomplished, either wirelessly or hard-wired?

 Is there power in the workshop?


I was surprised to see this thread come back to life! It is actually new construction of a multi-family community. The data wiring will be installed throughout the site by the provider while the site is already trenched for electrical service. I'm waiting to hear back from the provider about the logistics of hard-wiring the workshop (if feasible). I will report back when I know more.




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.