Change in High School Schedule for 2016/2017- Can anyone explain?

Can anyone explain the changes for next year?  The school/district doesn't seem willing to do so.

What are the changes??

Students asked to pick 7 classes, signaling a 8 period day.  Not sure if the 7 classes are written in stone or not. 

I wonder if this has any relationship to our district's budget?

From my reading of a writeup of the BOE budget discussion, I see frustration:

http://villagegreennj.com/schools-kids/south-orange-maplewood-board-ed-struggles-saving-jobs-vs-using-banked-cap/#prettyphoto/0/ a

My interpretation: there is no fat to cut in the budget, and we either cut positions - increase taxes - or use our rainy-day funds. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision is to do a bit of all three every year, which means we may see positions (and thus, class options) being chipped away, as our taxes slowly increase percentage-wise. 

As I recall, students were always asked to pick 7.  An 8th class was an option, but required permission from Guidance. 

I believe the day will still be 9 periods, with the average student having 7 classes and one lunch, starting either period 1 and ending 8, or starting period 2 and ending 9.  Some students will also have period 1 - 9 with lunch and a study hall, or eight classes and lunch.

I heard that first period is being eliminated and zero period added on, I think for music students.

joanauer said:

I heard that first period is being eliminated and zero period added on, I think for music students.

What does that mean?  What is zero period? 

Way back in the 1980s , my HS offered an "E" period ( started at 7:30). Often times science labs, music lessons, or performing arts groups, met during the E period. 

dg64 said:
joanauer said:

What does that mean?  What is zero period? 

Please explain it using a bar model, that way I can tell my kids I understand it, but really won't.  :-(

There hasn't been significant fat in our school district's budget for a very long time.  Much longer than many of our peer districts.  That is why it seems like we are hurting even more than most.

And it will continue to be so until some fundamental changes are made, both state-wide and in our (national) society's attitudes about education and its funding.

Dear CHS Families:
We have received some questions about the plans for next year’s schedule at the high school. 
By way of clarification, the high school selection process for the 2016-2017 school year, which is now underway, is based upon:
Graduation requirements
Electives
Just as in the past, students are selecting courses based on what they are required to take, and what they would like to take, consistent with their interests and passions.  CHS’s standard practice of scheduling students for 7 courses gives students 35 credits per year, for a total of 140 credits during their CHS career, to ensure they not only meet but surpass the state graduation requirement of 120 credits.  This basic approach has not changed.
The school district is presently working to reconcile various concerns that have been brought to our attention, including a desire on the part of a significant segment of the community to start the school day later. 
One of the solutions under consideration is for the district to shift from the current two-session day, with a total of 9 periods, to a one-session 8 period day.  One of the benefits of this potential change is that it would allow us to create academic supports, enhanced counseling, and other small group learning laboratories to support student needs.
As for the budget, and the proposed reduction of staff at the high school, this year, as in prior years, some course sections are under-enrolled. We continue to believe that students will be able to take a full complement of courses and not be adversely impacted through scheduling more efficiently.  For example, not all electives may run in every semester, but they would still be available for interested students to take during their CHS career.  Grade level class sessions and individual counselor meetings throughout the month of March, as well as any email and phone call questions, are all important points of contact for you and your student throughout the course selection process.
The incoming freshman class will be scheduled for 7 classes plus a lunch period.  While we strongly encourage upper classmen to take 7 classes and a lunch period as well, we are of course committed to ensure that upper classmen are able to meet their graduation requirements and to pursue their personal passions through electives. 
Sincerely,
John J. Ramos, Sr. Ed

It sounds like the change is not definite.

Has the District learned any lessons about communication?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.