Canon ImageClass 8050 printer won't power on

When I moved to my new house this past April, the printer stopped powering up.  I have tried plugging it to different outlets, and it's always the same.  It begins to turn itself on, and then it turns off.  Has anyone encountered this problem?

Is the electric current the same in Chile as it is in NJ?  If not, are you using a compatible adapter?  

The electricity is not the same, but I bought a transformer that is supposed to be plenty big enough, and the printer had been working fine for a year, until I moved to the countryside.  It may be an electrical issue, but I have no idea how to check on that.  I have googled the issue, and it common, but I don't understand a thing that they are writing. question 

Are you having a similar problem with any other electrical appliances?

No, all the other appliances work very well.  

I just called Tech Support at Canon, the last time that I called Customer Service they refused to help me.  This time I called Tech Support directly, and they spoke to me.  Canon could not fix my problems when I upgraded to Windows 10, someone from this forum helped me on that issue.  But this technician says that a printer is much more sensitive than other appliances to the power source.  He says that if the electricity is not 60 cycles/sec and 900 watts, it's not going to work.  So now I have to find a good electrician which is a very tall order.  A very tall order, very tall, tall, tall, tall.

copihue, please look at the power supply for the printer. It's either a brick-shaped plug or a brick in the middle of the power cable or internal to the printer. If it's the first or second thing, please read (or take a picture of) the writing. It might tell us that it is built to accept 220 volts. If it is, it's better not to use your adapting transformer. If the power supply is internal to the printer, the writing is next to where the power cord goes into the printer. Let's have those specifications, wherever they are written, and we can figure out what you should be doing to get it to work. Can you do that?

Sorry, I just saw this posting.  I did find a good electrician, and he came to my house to check on the printer which lead to inspecting the electrical system in the entire house.  He discovered that the system is not grounded, and that there is electricity where it does not belong which could not only cause my printer to not boot up, but also to damage all my electrical appliances and potentially cause a fire.

They also told me that they maintain the electrical system for the Bank of Chile's computers, and they require a very narrow range of variation in the power supply.  The variation in mine was twenty times larger than what they tolerate.  I have the numbers at home, but I am not home.  The electricians said that this is most likely the problem, but I won't know until I am in another house, because my landlord does not want to fix the problem.  I am currently looking to buy a property where I can control these issues.  

Dave, thanks.  I will show them this when I move into the new home.

Your country's power is 220 volts, and the spec sheet that dave posted shows that you need 110 (also known as 120) volts. You probably ruined the printer or power supply, and it is the wrong printer for your country's electrical power.

If she used an adapter, wouldn't that eliminate the problem you stated above?

no, the sheet that dave posted has enough information to show that an adapter will not work. They don't work equally well for all the different types of appliances.

I used a 1500 watts transformer last year in Reñaca, and the printer worked just fine.  The problems began when I moved to the countryside.  The electrician I hired to check into the problem said that it was probably the fact that the electrical system in the entire house has no grounding.  When he measured the outlet in my office where I have been plugging the transformer to the printer, and they measured all the house's outlet to see if any outlets got a good reading, he got the following readings:  

neutro, fase = 220 volts

tierra, neutro = 5.3 volts, and it is supposed to read zero

tierra, fase = 220 volts

He stated that at the Bank of Chile the maximum reading that is tolerated in the tierra/neutro is 0.06, so the reading is 88 times higher than the maximum tolerance level.  He says that this is probably the cause of the problem.

I'm sure some printers are less sensitive to bad wiring than others. I'm surprised with how many warnings are in the sheet dave posted. The trouble is, I don't know how to find out which printers are sensitive and which are not.

Yes, there probably is a queue of jobs in your computer waiting for the printer to come back online. What do you want to do with them?

There is nothing I can do until I move into my new house. The house that I am in I am renting, and it has multiple serious problems of which I was not informed, and the owners don't want to fix anything.  I have no choice but to move, it is what they have asked me to do if I don't like the accomodations, and I am buying a house where I can control what happens.  

Sometimes when you live in Chile ugly things come up that you say "oh, this is the third world."  Most times, everything runs smoothly, but not at others.  That is why I wanted to rent, to see if I can live with this reality.  I am buying a house, and if I can't live with the culture, I will go back to the US.

When printing in a public computer from a file in a thum drive, if you open that file and you don't save it, can someone looking for confidential info access that info?

Printer could likely be storing the info sent to the queue. 

Copihue said:

When printing in a public computer from a file in a thum drive, if you open that file and you don't save it, can someone looking for confidential info access that info?

Really depends on how secure the computer is.   

Thanks. I don't think thst they are in the least bit secure. Ugh! Makes my stomach turn.

If you are on an unsecured internet connection, anyone using that internet connection (wifi for example) can see your file.  Even though you don't save the file, it is possible that the file will be saved to a temp file on a public computer.  It depends on how that computer is set up.

Someone could set up a public computer to capture stuff on thumb drives that patrons insert. But how likely is that? I really can't say.

I'll wait till I move.  I haven't done my 2015 taxes, and I don't want to put all that info on a public computer.  It's not a risk I am willing to take.  My cousin says he has a printer at home, and I will go to his house to print until I have my new house, but it is hard catching him at home, and when I do we chat away, and I forget.

Can you download/print the blank forms from a public computer and fill them out by hand?  If you download to a thumb drive, you could still make the calculations on your home computer and then copy the resulting data by hand onto the forms.  Waiting until you move with all the distractions you will have at that time seems far more problematic.

You are right.  I will do that just as soon as I get all my tax info.  This is a discussion I had yesterday with the bank that held my mortagage:

I haven't received my 1098 for 2015.  This is the second time that I call for it.

We sent it to "Avenue xxx #yyy" in the township of "zzz" in CH zip "aaaaa"

You sent the form to Switzerland? and my zip code has seven digits

Our computers only accept two letters and five digits in the zip code.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.