Avenue Pub update

The Avenue Pub has turned down the lights and added candles to every table.  That's really softened the vibe.  

I had a Sloppy Joe sandwich, that was delicious and huge!  It came with homemade chips.  

I think they're finding their rhythm.  


I had a fish and chips sandwich.   Very good.  It may seem odd to compliment french fries, but they were very good.  


RobertRoe said:

I had a fish and chips sandwich.   Very good.  It may seem odd to compliment french fries, but they were very good.  

It is not odd at all. French fries come in a wide variety of descriptions from “soggy limp despair” to “sublimely crispy delight”. They can carry a flavor of their own which is merely accentuated by the addition of salt and ketchup (or vinegar for the imperialists out there), as opposed to some lackluster attempts at pommes frîtes which can only be made palatable with generous portions of external seasoning. The French fry is the pinnacle of human achievement as well as the downfall of humanity (some would argue bacon is a greater threat to the human race, but French fries can sneak past the defenses of everyone from Muslims to Kosher Jews to the strictest of vegans to attack the cardiac circulation). 

A hamburger on a plate?  A mere sandwich. Next to a heaping pile of perfectly fried strips of potato? A sumptuous feast. A tuna sandwich?  Sadness, best eaten alone in a darkened room. Say the magic words “and a side of fries” and you have a meal that would spark joy in Marie Kondo. When the waiter at a fancy restaurant asks what potato you want with your steak, do you say “oh what the heck I’ll splurge and have mashed potatoes?”  No!  You say “let’s throw caution to the wind … bring me fries!”

Do not dismiss the seemingly humble French fry, my friend. 


You guys are making me go get a sloppy joe later today. 
Speaking of fries, Burger King has great fries. I don’t like diner fries. I would get sweet potato fries with my tuna melt. …and Cole slaw…throw in a pickle and I’m happy! Sadness? What sadness?


I just saw, (on one of the cooking sites that pop up as I roam) the advice to "not throw our your potato skins as you peel potatoes".  Apparently they can be fried up into a tasty side dish.  Guess you have to wash those unpeeled 'tates really well, fry them at a very high temp (I'd have to be ready to fan the smoke out my windows when the smoke alarm goes off...)  But I bet they could be seasoned & fried up to be pretty tasty.  Never thought of that!


Depending on which list you reference, fries are the #1, #2, or #3 most popular food in America.

This is serious stuff.


Just had lunch at the Pub with my wife.   We both had Philly cheese steaks and they were very good and hit the hunger spot just right.   The bread is also fresh.   My wife noted that a Philly Cheesesteak is now a nationally known sandwich, not just in the Philly, NJ, NY area. I am wondering if it might now be international.   There used to be a good cheesesteak spot on Central Ave. in East Orange with the improbable name of The Kosher Irishman. 


RobertRoe said:

Just had lunch at the Pub with my wife.   We both had Philly cheese steaks and they were very good and hit the hunger spot just right.   The bread is also fresh.   My wife noted that a Philly Cheesesteak is now a nationally known sandwich, not just in the Philly, NJ, NY area. I am wondering if it might now be international.   There used to be a good cheesesteak spot on Central Ave. in East Orange with the improbable name of The Kosher Irishman. 

There's a small chain of dive bars called Passyunk Avenue in London that supposedly has the best cheesesteaks you can find outside of the States, but I haven't been there yet.

https://passyunkavenue.com/


ridski said:

There's a small chain of dive bars called Passyunk Avenue in London that supposedly has the best cheesesteaks you can find outside of the States, but I haven't been there yet.

https://passyunkavenue.com/

The name, at least, is legit South Philly. (PAH-shunk.)


Juniemoon said:

I just saw, (on one of the cooking sites that pop up as I roam) the advice to "not throw our your potato skins as you peel potatoes".  Apparently they can be fried up into a tasty side dish.  Guess you have to wash those unpeeled 'tates really well, fry them at a very high temp (I'd have to be ready to fan the smoke out my windows when the smoke alarm goes off...)  But I bet they could be seasoned & fried up to be pretty tasty.  Never thought of that!

Why would you need a very high frying temperature, and don't you usually wash your spuds before you peel them, anyway?


I'm excited to hear about the sloppy joes. We haven't been there yet, but that's what I'll be trying first. It's my favorite sandwich when done right!  (I still miss Scott's!)


Tried the Italian hot dog last night. $12.  Another winner.  


Went there with my 16 and 12 yo Friday for the first time.  My quick takes:

  • menu is unexciting / basic
  • prices are bit high but the portions are enormous so no problem with value
  • food was quite high quality - much better than expected and at most similar restaurants
  • son, who unless he's at an ethnic restaurant, will always order a burger - he said his was the best one he's had out at restaurant ever (I might agree with him).  These aren't your box-of-frozen machine-formed mass food service hockey pucks - these are fresh ground beef, hand-formed, well-seasoned and juicy (daughter also got burger and loved it) 
  • quesadilla was quite tasty, accompanying salsa not great
  • fried calamari was a huge portion of tender rings and legs - accompanying "marinara" was meh - more like plain tomato paste than marinara (thick and a bit bland)
  • chicken parm - bread and chicken were good but the aforementioned tomato paste wasn't great and the flavorless mozz didn't add much 
  • house-made chips were very good and a nice option   
  • Nice that they had 2 NA beer options: Heineken 0 and Guinness NA

Next time, we'll approach the dishes as easily split between 2 people and we'll definitely return.  They would certainly benefit from adding a simple steak frites to the menu - 10 or 12 oz sirloin would be a nice option beyond the basic sandwich and pub fare. 



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!