1898 time capsule found in old Maplewood Church

Just heard about it on channel 2 news @ 6. Didn't say if it was found due to say construction that might have caused it to be unearthed. Ostensibly township will put the items on display somewhere... maybe the library? If anybody hears about where the display will be placed, please post here.

The time capsule was found in the corner stone of an old church that was torn down to make way for a new multi-family building.

The time capsule was opened today in a very public and publicized event at the Hilton Branch library to an overflow crowd. My wife tried to go but couldn't get anywhere near to park.

I hope it went well, very often time capsules end up with water damage.

No water damage. One of the coins was too oxidized to read the date but everything else looked pristine.

There's quite a bit of media coverage of the event.

http://s.nj.com/w4Myz1c

Just google "Maplewood Time Capsule".

Looking at the front page story of the Newark Evening News; Admiral Sampson to Commence Bombardment from the Outer Harbor. For quite a few years we rented Admiral Sampson's home at Hancock Point,Maine. It was owned at that time by his grandson. It was a delightful home with a wide open porch and just a short walk to the shore.

I can never see the excitement about time capsules. Usually, they're filled with rotten old stuff that no one would give a damn about if found on a street or some attic.

Like worthless rotten coins where numismatists can get the same coins in much better condition. Or some moldy old newspaper.

BG9 said:

I can never see the excitement about time capsules. Usually, they're filled with rotten old stuff that no one would give a damn about if found on a street or some attic.

Like worthless rotten coins where numismatists can get the same coins in much better condition. Or some moldy old newspaper.

They are an indication of what was going on at the time the building was erected. A copy of the Newark Evening

News in near perfect condition contained a headline from what I think was The Spanish American War.

We are, to a large extent what we have left behind.

galileo said:

Looking at the front page story of the Newark Evening News; Admiral Sampson to Commence Bombardment from the Outer Harbor. For quite a few years we rented Admiral Sampson's home at Hancock Point,Maine. It was owned at that time by his grandson. It was a delightful home with a wide open porch and just a short walk to the shore.

Not that far from Bar Harbor............now a delightful part of Coastal Mine

Did they have lobster rolls in those days?

I think they're cool. I've just seen too many stories where the contents were destroyed. I'm glad this didn't happen this time.

author said:

BG9 said:

They are an indication of what was going on at the time the building was erected. A copy of the Newark Evening

News in near perfect condition contained a headline from what I think was The Spanish American War.

I can do that by looking in the internet or a newspaper morgue.

BG9 said:

author said:

BG9 said:

You would put a zillion archaeologists and anthropologists out of work. Maybe they should have gone into

computer training

I think most of us have some curiosity and interest in history. None of us were alive in 1898.

author - Until recently we visited Hancock Point every summer. From my childhood days I honestly don't remember the lobster rolls. We would make a fire within the rocks by the shore and cook the lobsters there. Picnic on the rocks.Maine definitely has the absolute best lobster rolls. I've tried them everywhere in n j and have yet to find a great lobster roll.

BG9 said:

author said:

BG9 said:

My perspective is that it's about the experience: What people from the past give those in the present in the form of a time capsule is a moment for many people at once to peek back in time. This may spur thoughts, ideas, recollections, connections, conversations, and even relationships and actions in the present.

So, it is different than just reading an old paper on one's own.

galileo said:

author - Until recently we visited Hancock Point every summer. From my childhood days I honestly don't remember the lobster rolls. We would make a fire within the rocks by the shore and cook the lobsters there. Picnic on the rocks.Maine definitely has the absolute best lobster rolls. I've tried them everywhere in n j and have yet to find a great lobster roll.

The woman in my life insists that any where you go in Maine you can find a good lobster roll

However, like anything there has to be a best. In Wiscasset on coastal one, just before you cross the bridge

on the left side is Red's. Serves lobster rolls and only lobster rolls. Uses an entire lobster per each roll.

Rarely less than a half hour line to get yours............worth every minute of it

Whether of not any of us will get to Heaven I don't know............but a lobster roll from Red's is the next best thing

Time capsules are a letter written to the future. The point is that connection, not the monetary value of the contents.

author said:

galileo said:

The woman in my life insists that any where you go in Maine you can find a good lobster roll

However, like anything there has to be a best. In Wiscasset on coastal one, just before you cross the bridge

on the left side is Red's. Serves lobster rolls and only lobster rolls. Uses an entire lobster per each roll.

Rarely less than a half hour line to get yours............worth every minute of it

Whether of not any of us will get to Heaven I don't know............but a lobster roll from Red's is the next best thing

We got to Red's about 15 minutes before they opened. No line. They are the best.

McDonalds did or maybe still does lobster rolls in summer. They ain't bad and about 1/2 the price of any others.

BG9 said:

Can you? Huzzah!

jerseyjack said:

McDonalds did or maybe still does lobster rolls in summer. They ain't bad and about 1/2 the price of any others.

The only reason you go to McDonald's for the lobster roll is so you can ask for a "McLobster" (not what it is called) and piss off the person behind the counter. Admit it. oh oh

jerseyjack said:

author said:

galileo said:

We got to Red's about 15 minutes before they opened. No line. They are the best.

Red's is other worldly. But if you want a sit down restaurant with a fair to middling menu and a wonderful view

So, what has become of the Methodist Episcopal Church? Have they relocated?

GoSlugs said:

So, what has become of the Methodist Episcopal Church? Have they relocated?

Hilton Methodist Church (not Methodist Episcopal) was closed. Some of the congregants now come to Morrow.

Interestingly the current pastor at Morrow, Brad Motta, was pastor at Hilton some years ago. He's in a couple of the pictures on the NJ.COM article.

Out of curiosity, what is the location of the old church?

Directly across the street from Seth Boyden school.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.