"The future ain't what it used to be." RIP Yogi

Yogi Berra passed. Reading his obit I both marvel at what a great player and person he was. One of a kind. His death represents the end of an era-the last great player from the Yankee teams that dominated baseball over 50 years ago.


It's over.

http://nyti.ms/1Kuknwf


Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.

RIP


"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Local author Allen Barra wrote a great biography of Yogi. I couldn't believe that I learned so much about someone who has been in the public eye for so long.


"I never said most of the things I said."


He was unique and will be missed by so many people. RIP, Yogi, and thanks.


Last of the great really old time legends. Thought he'd live forever.


What a great full life. We should all be so lucky.


I LOVED Yogi and all he was! I wanted him to live forever too. RIP sir and thank you!


I peed next to him at a banquet. It was awesome!


There was a nice NPR interview this morning with the director of the Yogi Berra Museum. Yogi was asked about what kind of funeral arrangements he'd like. His response was, "I don't know. Surprise me."


I'm not a big baseball fan, but I enjoyed my visit to the Yogi Berra Museum and thought he was a great guy. RIP.


wharfrat said:
Yogi Berra passed. Reading his obit I both marvel at what a great player and person he was. One of a kind. His death represents the end of an era-the last great player from the Yankee teams that dominated baseball over 50 years ago.

Whitey Ford?


Train_of_Thought said:


wharfrat said:
Yogi Berra passed. Reading his obit I both marvel at what a great player and person he was. One of a kind. His death represents the end of an era-the last great player from the Yankee teams that dominated baseball over 50 years ago.
Whitey Ford?

Thought of him as I was typing. My thoughts are he is/was, for a pitcher. Then I looked at his lifetime stats. ERA in the 1950s was about 1.5 runs better than league average. Winning % in games he had decisions in close to .700.


So yes. Berra second to last.


Reporter: “I understand you had an audience with the Pope.”
Yogi: “No, but I saw him.”
Reporter: “Did you get to talk to him?”
Yogi: “I sure did. We had a nice little chat.”
Reporter: “What did he say?”
Yogi: “You know, he must read the papers a lot, because he said, ‘Hello, Yogi.’ ”
Reporter: “And what did you say?”
Yogi: “I said, ‘Hello, Pope.’ “

From a WaPo article, The Best Things Yogi Berra Ever Said.


I actually wasn't 100% sure the Chairman was still with us. Had to look it up. Glad to see he is. I'm a Mets lifer, but as a kid I religiously watched Yankee Old Timer's Day and still have a great appreciation of the legends of the game.


When I had my ACL replaced a few years ago, Mr. Berra also received treatment at my therapy office. He was a regular there and treated everyone kindly. The first time I saw him there, for me it was like the Statue of Liberty had come to life and was walking around! He was truly a gentleman. RIP Yogi.


What a loss. And what a great life lived. RIP


Just heard this. In 1950, Yogi had 597 at bats and struck out only TWELVE times. He struck out a total of only 414 times in his nineteen year career (22 per season avg.). Both Mike Trout and Bryce Harper have already struck out more times in their respective four year careers.


Train_of_Thought said:
Just heard this. In 1950, Yogi had 597 at bats and struck out only TWELVE times. He struck out a total of only 414 times in his nineteen year career (22 per season avg.). Both Mike Trout and Bryce Harper have already struck out more times in their respective four year careers.

And he swung at everything.


wharfrat said:


Train_of_Thought said:
Just heard this. In 1950, Yogi had 597 at bats and struck out only TWELVE times. He struck out a total of only 414 times in his nineteen year career (22 per season avg.). Both Mike Trout and Bryce Harper have already struck out more times in their respective four year careers.
And he swung at everything.

Once Berra chided Derek Jeter for swinging and missing at a 3-2 pitch out of the strike zone. Jeter replied, "You swung at those." Berra checkmated, "Yeah, but I hit 'em."


Train_of_Thought said:
Just heard this. In 1950, Yogi had 597 at bats and struck out only TWELVE times. He struck out a total of only 414 times in his nineteen year career (22 per season avg.). Both Mike Trout and Bryce Harper have already struck out more times in their respective four year careers.

He had a total of 656 plate appearances that season.


Never a Yankees fan, but loved Yogi. It's finally over, make sure you take the right fork. RIP.


I wish I could go to his funeral cause I sure as hell want him at mine cheese


Saw interview with Ralph Branca who said that Yogi's wife said, "You are from St. Louis and lived most of your life in New Jersey....where to you want to be buried? Yogi replied, "surprise me."


Seriously, I would like to know where he is to be buried, since I grew up in M'wood and have lived in St. Louis ever since.


Carmen Berra was put to rest in Gate of Heaven Cemetery in East Hanover so I assume Yogi will join her.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/coffey-yogi-carmen-laid-rest-emotional-funeral-article-1.1718532



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!