What series should I watch next?

I really like Accused - Fox/Hulu.  I think someone may have mentioned it here.  The nice part about it is that each episode is it's own story.  No carryover characters between the episodes.  

I'm enjoying Perry Mason on HBO. Very gritty early 30s L A. The 2nd season just started and the 1st is On Demand. Very compelling characters. Anyone watching it?

Morganna said:

I'm enjoying Perry Mason on HBO. Very gritty early 30s L A. The 2nd season just started and the 1st is On Demand. Very compelling characters. Anyone watching it?

Loved the first season. Incredible attention to detail, LA in the 30s looks wonderfully sleazy. Matthew Rhys is brilliant, as is the supporting cast, and the writing is top notch. Might start season two tonight now that History of the World Part Two is over.

ridski said:

Morganna said:

Loved the first season. Incredible attention to detail, LA in the 30s looks wonderfully sleazy. Matthew Rhys is brilliant, as is the supporting cast, and the writing is top notch. Might start season two tonight now that History of the World Part Two is over.

How was History of the World Part Two? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I thought it was really funny, in a contemporary way. The three main people involved are Nick Kroll from Kroll Show, Ike Barinholtz from MadTV, and Wanda Sykes. As it's a TV show, instead of a movie, it keeps the skits short, and hops back and forth between self-contained short skits about world events and some others that are spread over different episodes. So if you can imagine the French Revolution bit in Part One spread out over 6 episodes, with other skits in between - it's a bit like that. I do want to see it again, because I think there were jokes in the background I missed first time round.

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I thought it was really funny, in a contemporary way. The three main people involved are Nick Kroll from Kroll Show, Ike Barinholtz from MadTV, and Wanda Sykes. As it's a TV show, instead of a movie, it keeps the skits short, and hops back and forth between self-contained short skits about world events and some others that are spread over different episodes. So if you can imagine the French Revolution bit in Part One spread out over 6 episodes, with other skits in between - it's a bit like that. I do want to see it again, because I think there were jokes in the background I missed first time round.

Thanks! It's now on my list!

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Thanks! It's now on my list!

I watched 3 episodes last night and I laughed out loud 2, maybe 3 times across the 2 hours. It's really not funny. It's Mel Brooks doing his thing. Predictable and same old same old. It seems quickly thrown together even though some of the pieces are elaborately staged. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I watched 3 episodes last night and I laughed out loud 2, maybe 3 times across the 2 hours. It's really not funny. It's Mel Brooks doing his thing. Predictable and same old same old. It seems quickly thrown together even though some of the pieces are elaborately staged. 

Yeah, to each their own.

On a different note I'm really bummed that Disney+ isn't renewing Willow for season 2. I really grew to love that show and those characters.

Yeah, I've been hesitant for history of the world pt 2- reviews were really bad overall.  I watched a little of the first episode - pleasant to watch and they keep the skits short, but nothing extraordinary.

I'm a huge Mel fan - but I wasn't really crazy about Men in Tights either.

I'm dying to watch Ted Lasso but want to finish SHRINKING and DEAR EDWARD first. I'm enjoying the former very much, but the latter is running out of steam. I'll finish them both first. The cast of Shrinking is so good. Jessica Williams as Gabby is terrific, and Jason Segal and Harrison Ford are clearly having a ball. The other supporting cast members are all great. 

ridski said:

Enjoying Season 2! I love Matthew Rhys and was totally surprised by the Welsh accent in an interview. Each cast member is impressive. Love Juliet Rylance in the role of Della Street. Interesting to watch Hope Davis in her role, while I'm watching her in the new season of Your Honor, equally gritty and addicting. The sleazy atmosphere in 30s LA is matched by the New Orleans of Your Honor.

Don't forget to post the streaming service that your shows you are recommending are one. Not all of us subscribe to all of these either based on economics (do not get Showtime) or religion (will not get Apple). Glad Perry Mason is on HBO.

By the way I did watch all seasons of New Amsterdam (Netflix except for the last season which is still just on Peacock so yeah I did do that for a month). Loved it and plan to at some point try to watch all of HOUSE if it's on a network I get. Also am thoroughly enjoying Extraordinary Attorney Woo. Not too cute for me. (Netflix)

Oh by the way Mel Brooks has his memoir out and does the audio version. It's the one time I think I'll listen as opposed to read. LOVE that guy. Alan Alda does a lovely interview with him on his Clear and Vivid podcast. 

What is the religious issue with Apple TV? 

wendy said:

Don't forget to post the streaming service that your shows you are recommending are one. Not all of us subscribe to all of these either based on economics (do not get Showtime) or religion (will not get Apple). Glad Perry Mason is on HBO.

By the way I did watch all seasons of New Amsterdam (Netflix except for the last season which is still just on Peacock so yeah I did do that for a month). Loved it and plan to at some point try to watch all of HOUSE if it's on a network I get. Also am thoroughly enjoying Extraordinary Attorney Woo. Not too cute for me. (Netflix)

Religious was an overstatement. I will not support anything Apple. I have my reasons and do not feel like sharing here. TIA.

wendy said:

Oh by the way Mel Brooks has his memoir out and does the audio version. It's the one time I think I'll listen as opposed to read. LOVE that guy. Alan Alda does a lovely interview with him on his Clear and Vivid podcast. 

I've read the book, which is great, but hearing him actually sing the songs in the audio version that he writes about in the book probably makes that the way to go. 

Started watching Rain Dogs on HBO.  A dramedy about a single mother in London struggling to support her daughter.  I don't want to spoil too much, but it's very good and the episodes are only ~25 minutes.  They are three episodes into the season.

Also tried Swarm on Amazon Prime. It's described as a "satirical psychological horror thriller."  Donald Glover is one of the creators. I'm only a couple of episodes in and haven't decided what I think yet. It is compelling and worth giving the first episode a try.

Last night, on a whim, as I had nothing else to do or watch, I put on The Watcher (Netflix). Great cast, Naomi Watts, Bobby Cannavale, Margo Martindale, Mia Farrow (!) and Jennife Coolidge. I'd watch Coolidge in almost anything. Wasn't long before I realized that this is a creepy, stalker, rattle and moan, horror series. I don't so horror. Not even a little. So I shut it down. Switched over to a L&O SVU repeat. Anyone else taken this little thriller for a spin? 

Speaking of Law and Order, the "original" L&O is back with a mostly new cast and Sam Waterson. It. Is. Terrible. And Sam, you made the pants too long. He's really bad, stiff as a board. 

I made it through "The Watcher" and found it to be fairly boilerplate Ryan Murphy for good and bad. He's always up for interesting style and fun casting as you mentioned. Who can resist Margo Martindale and Richard Kind as the lawn chair buttinsky couple? On the other hand, the series just keeps introducing kooky events and people without every really getting anywhere.

However, I got a great deal of entertainment bringing up various characters and events to people from Westfield and saying "Whoa, your town is NUTS!" even though it's pretty much all fictional aside from the letters.

Guilty pleasure - Sly Stallone in Tulsa King. Paramount Plus. 

For those following, I was in London and now I'm back. And for those wondering what that has to do with this thread, I had a bit of a pilgrimage and spent the first 4 nights of my week staying in a hotel by Richmond Green, which is one of the main locations used for Ted Lasso (season 3 just started). We met one of my oldest friends for dinner at the The Prince's Head, which is used as the exterior of the Crown and Anchor where the main Richmond fans watch the matches. The interiors are a soundstage replica, but it's fun to be in there - there's kind of a shrine to the show behind one of the tables. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

ridski said:

For those following, I was in London and now I'm back. And for those wondering what that has to do with this thread, I had a bit of a pilgrimage and spent the first 4 nights of my week staying in a hotel by Richmond Green, which is one of the main locations used for Ted Lasso (season 3 just started). We met one of my oldest friends for dinner at the The Prince's Head, which is used as the exterior of the Crown and Anchor where the main Richmond fans watch the matches. The interiors are a soundstage replica, but it's fun to be in there - there's kind of a shrine to the show behind one of the tables. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Is that town as charming as it appears to be on the show?  It looks like a dream place to live.

Here’s a random assortment of pics I took while there. Some inside the Prince’s Head, some outside, and a few of the area.

bub said:

Is that town as charming as it appears to be on the show?  It looks like a dream place to live.

The main street is kind of run-down. There's a lot of chain stores and fast food places and other weirdly British "High Street" places, but there looks like there's some investment going in there, too. Once you step off that main road, however, it's idyllic. The River Thames is 5 minutes walk away, local restaurants (even chains) are pretty good, and there's definitely a village-style atmosphere. Yes, I'm positive we spent a fortune there, but it is a very charming area of London to visit if you get a chance.

I watched the season finales last night of SHRINKING and DEAR EDWARD. (Both Apple TV)

The Shrinking finale was so much fun and so lovely, everyone finding their way, and love conquering all, or almost all. It made me love even the minor characters. I recommend this show highly. 

The Dear Edward finale attempted the same trick and the feel of it is much darker, with death always in the background, and it was less successful. I also recommend this show but with a bit less enthusiasm. 

Yellowjackets is back on Showtime. I remembered that a few people on here got hooked. Although I was looking forward to it, I admit to getting tired of the flashback flashforward routine. It feels like it is getting further and further out there but I'm sticking with it.

I had never been into Succession but I binge watched it to prepare for the new season. That is one horrible family.

I watched the first episode of the new Ted Lasso season. Is it me, or does his fake Kansas accent sound particularly forced, as opposed to in prior seasons? 

anyone watching the diplomat on Netflix?

We thought it was great!

Watching The Diplomat now and enjoying it.   Also just finished On the Verge (Julie Delpy) and that was enjoyable, as well. Fair warning: lots in French with subtitles.

Ted Lasso's accent: Some people in Kansas City have a drawl like his, but agree most don't and most of the broadcast news anchors used to have a midwestern accent that was nothing like Lasso's.

If you're into horror, I'm really enjoying the very well reviewed but not well known Spanish series 30 Coins, on HBO.  Over the top, very fast moving:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/30_coins

In the opposite direction, was disappointed in, came to hate, and gave up on The Haunting of Hill House even though it too has good reviews.  I only started watching it because I got into a Shirley Jackson reading thing and noticed that she wrote the novel, which the series has little apparent resemblance to.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!