What series should I watch next?

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I began watching Season 3 of SUCCESSION on HBO. I loved the first two seasons. Rotten people behaving badly. 1% hijinks. Corporate malfeasance. Witty plotting and entertaining dialogue. 

I think Season 3 has jumped the proverbial shark. Witty dialogue has been replaced by an endemic stuttering loss for words and a gaggle of half-witty corporate-speak, meant to be clever and typical but instead it almost out-Sorkins Aaron Sorkin in its babbling, show-offy but clearly made-up dialogue.. 

Bummer. 

Did you say something mean about Aaron Sorkin?  

Yeah, I'm not a fan of his talky talky wordy blah blah blah ain't this profound? style. 

sbenois said:

Finished Squid Game.  Most disturbing thing I have ever seen on TV.

yeah, but was it worth it?

The whole premise sounds goofy to me, but I have seen other reviews that describe it like you do.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of his talky talky wordy blah blah blah ain't this profound? style. 

Hmm, and to me West Wing was rapid fire one liners. The only series that I ever purchased the entire DVD set. 

I'm a big fan of Sorkin. I think he gets a bum rap.

drummerboy said:

The whole premise sounds goofy to me, but I have seen other reviews that describe it like you do.

Probably not. 

drummerboy said:

Since you like Sorkin and Jeff Daniels, did you ever catch HBOs The Newsroom? 

sbenois said:

drummerboy said:

Probably not. 

I didn’t get the hoopla.  I’m all for gratuitous violence but I didn’t see this as anything more than that. 

I have really enjoyed the first four episodes of The Morning Show, first season.  

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

Yeah, I saw it when it first came out. My recollection is that it was ok, but not great.

drummerboy said:

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

Yeah, I saw it when it first came out. My recollection is that it was ok, but not great.

I'm pretty tired of Jeff Daniels delivering those Sorkin speeches and powerful dialogue. I can see how one might like it, though.  

I just finished binge watching (over two days) "Mare of Easttown". I'm normally not a fan of such dark "who's the killer?" stories but this had excellent acting, cast and script, -particularly Kate Winslet who is the lead and it took me awhile to realize that her mom was played by Jean Smart who I only remembered from QUITE a different role in "Designing Women". 

jeffl said:

I have really enjoyed the first four episodes of The Morning Show, first season.  

We had to make sure we had something funny to watch after watching an episode. It's well-written, beautifully shot and benefits from some great acting.

The subject matter can be very disturbing especially since they incorporate some real-life traumatic news events. And the whole starting point of the show is the reprehensible sexual abuse that takes place around the staff of a morning news show.

For an antidote, a light and frothy comedy we enjoyed was called "Great News". It's only two seasons and on Netflix. General silliness around a TV news show, so kind of an anti-Morning Show. Andrea Martin is a hoot, and I like the lead, played by Briga Heelan.  Tina Fey is an executive producer.

steel said:

I just finished binge watching (over two days) "Mare of Easttown". I'm normally not a fan of such dark "who's the killer?" stories but this had excellent acting, cast and script, -particularly Kate Winslet who is the lead and it took me awhile to realize that her mom was played by Jean Smart who I only remembered from QUITE a different role in "Designing Women". 

Jean Smart is also the lead/co-lead in Hacks. Highly recommend it. Also excellent acting, cast and script. On HBO Max.

Anyone watching Maid? Another show with excellent acting, especially the lead , Margaret Qualley.

drummerboy said:

Anyone watching Maid? Another show with excellent acting, especially the lead , Margaret Qualley.

nope; where is it streaming? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

drummerboy said:

nope; where is it streaming? 

Netflix.  Features Andie MacDowell with her daughter as the lead.  Well done.  Andie's character was a bit over the top for me.  But her daughter was very good.  

For a much needed break from murder, mayhem, and autopsy shots, i enjoyed Brideshead Revisited on Prime. It is so easy on the eyes, sort of Downtown Abbey, with Evelyn Waugh’s complex characters. Love the time period — post WW1 to WW2. 

Saw it as a week to week show years ago, but streaming makes is so much more enjoyable. And, as I mentioned, a healing from the violence of much of what is offered as television entertainment. 

Soon enough, I’ll be watching mysteries again!

steel said:

Loved it. You might like American Rust with Jeff Daniels. Similar gritty setting also in PA. A murder. Daniels is Chief of Police. People struggling with opioid addiction. 

There was a warmth in Mare of Easttown that seems to be missing here but I'm still following it. Maybe I just liked the characters better.

drummerboy said:

It was no West Wing but helped fill the void for a bit.

First episode of the newest Curb Your Enthusiasm was perfect (if you're a Curb fan that is). 

Dopesick with Michael Keaton on Hulu is excellent.  I wish it wasn't weekly so I could binge the whole thing.

Sounds like it will be 8 episodes in total.  5 are out currently.

Curb did have a solid opener.

We're catching up on older seasons of Alone - one is on netflix - others are on hulu.  If you like survival shows, I think this is one of the best.

jamie said:

Dopesick with Michael Keaton on Hulu is excellent.  I wish it wasn't weekly so I could binge the whole thing.

Sounds like it will be 8 episodes in total.  5 are out currently.

Curb did have a solid opener.

We're catching up on older seasons of Alone - one is on netflix - others are on hulu.  If you like survival shows, I think this is one of the best.

I’m completely hooked on Alone.  Makes other reality shows look so bad. 

Midnight Mass anyone?

On EP 4 - very intriguing.

Season 5 of BIG MOUTH now streaming! 

We have ope episode left of "Only Murders In the Building" and I'm a big fan. The comic chemistry between the three leads is delightful. 

They add in just enough of Steve Martin's trademark absurdist humor and Martin Short's zaniness to liven it up, but never enough to take you out of the narrative. 

The Melba part could have easily come across as "snotty snarky millenial" but Selena Gomez gives the character warmth, charm and depth and earns your sympathy. While being sparky.

The supporting characters are well-acted and fleshed out and believably quirky. And the mystery itself has gained a lot of steam and we're looking forward to the last episode to see how it all plays out.

mrincredible said:

We have ope episode left of "Only Murders In the Building" and I'm a big fan. The comic chemistry between the three leads is delightful. 

They add in just enough of Steve Martin's trademark absurdist humor and Martin Short's zaniness to liven it up, but never enough to take you out of the narrative. 

The Melba part could have easily come across as "snotty snarky millenial" but Selena Gomez gives the character warmth, charm and depth and earns your sympathy. While being sparky.

The supporting characters are well-acted and fleshed out and believably quirky. And the mystery itself has gained a lot of steam and we're looking forward to the last episode to see how it all plays out.

Maybe I should give this another try. I watched 1.5 episodes and tuned it off. I thought Martin and Short were hamming up the place - trying way too hard.  Neither of them are actors. I thought this show made that pretty clear. But, hey, I didn't like Schitt's Creek either. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Maybe I should give this another try. I watched 1.5 episodes and tuned it off. I thought Martin and Short were hamming up the place - trying way too hard.  Neither of them are actors. I thought this show made that pretty clear. But, hey, I didn't like Schitt's Creek either. 

Well, your mileage may vary. There is still a slice or two of ham. But I think a little ham adds some flavor.

Did you get to the scene where Oliver (Martin Short) visits his son? That may change your mind about Short as an actor. (He also plays a truly vile character in "The Morning Show" and does it quite brilliantly)

We finished "Only Murders..." and enjoyed it to the end. I'm glad they're doing a new season! 

The final episode does include about 5 minutes of some old-school Steve Martin goofiness. It seemed a little out of place with the overall tone of the episode, and his character. If you like that aspect of his comedy, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, you may just have to grin and bear it. That aspect doesn't dominate the episode.

We're thinking about trying "Nora From Queens" next. 

I'm sorry that Brooklyn 99 is finished. I understand that they were struggling with how to make a light hearted comedy about the police in this day and age. The final season explored the potential for the police to abuse their power and step over lines that shouldn't be crossed. I thought they did it well and still kept the comedy going, but it definitely changed the tenor of the show. I'm also bummed because Madeline Walter, a very talented Columbia high grad, had landed a writing gig with the show. (She actually makes an appearance as a babysitter in the final heist episode.)

@jamie , saw that you mentioned Dexter and heard about it from another friend so I decided to start from the beginning. Binge-watched the first season, I'm into the second one and getting into Dexter's dark humor. 

Funny thing is the opening close-up of food preparation. The comparison is not lost on me as that was pretty much my reaction to meat and eggs as a child.

Morganna said:

@jamie , saw that you mentioned Dexter and heard about it from another friend so I decided to start from the beginning. Binge-watched the first season, I'm into the second one and getting into Dexter's dark humor. 

Funny thing is the opening close-up of food preparation. The comparison is not lost on me as that was pretty much my reaction to meat and eggs as a child.

I think that the Dexter opening is a singular, great piece of film-making. I'm still enthralled by it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.