What series should I watch next?

drummerboy said:

Yeah, I just finished season 2 and I thought the finale was pretty great too.

Didn't know it'll be two years though. That sucks.

Just basing that on the gap between seasons 1 and 2.

Watched the 1st 2 episodes of "Mare of Easttown" (what a terrible name) and  I'm enjoying it. My only beef is that it introduced too many characters in episode 1. I struggle to keep them all straight.

(Of course, I have this beef with EVERY show I watch. I wonder why...) 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Watched the 1st 2 episodes of "Mare of Easttown" (what a terrible name) and  I'm enjoying it. My only beef is that it introduced too many characters in episode 1. I struggle to keep them all straight.

Yeah, I'm confused too. It's like watching Game of Thrones, writ small. I need a diagram of all of the character relationships.

Mare of Easttown is taking an interesting turn. The sets are so gritty and drab that it's quite a contrast to the lush and colorful The Nevers.

Enjoying both of them.

drummerboy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yeah, I'm confused too. It's like watching Game of Thrones, writ small. I need a diagram of all of the character relationships.

It's probably easier to wait until the end and binge it.  I saw the first - then just binged the last three.  It was still a little confusing, but I think it helped a little.

jamie said:

drummerboy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

It's probably easier to wait until the end and binge it.  I saw the first - then just binged the last three.  It was still a little confusing, but I think it helped a little.

So it's a 4-episode series? and all the episodes are or are not available now? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

So it's a 4-episode series? and all the episodes are or are not available now? 

no - I just meant - I happened to binge the last 3 and it was easier to follow.  Looks like it may be 7 episodes all together.  

Morganna said:

ridski said:

I love steampunk so it intrigues me, but I’m tired of stories of people with “special” powers, so I haven’t fired it up yet.

Agree on both. I'm all things steampunk but I usually associate the special powers thing with super heroes which is not my thing. Special powers as I associate it with super heroes, is usually pretty GP but this is dark. Keep me posted. I don't know anyone who is watching it and it doesn't fit in any category that I can think of. A  good cast, great costume and set design.

So I meant to watch The Nevers, but accidentally started watching Shadow and Bone instead. 2 episodes in and I’m 50/50 about continuing. It’s an alternative earth fantasy setting (basically 19th century Russia but with a different map and magic) and it looks fantastic. Weirdly, the main character and her plot line is the least interesting part. The actress is good, but the set up is hackneyed from pretty much every YA novel in existence. The other non-magical characters, especially that of an up and coming gangster, are much better. Snappy dialogue and gorgeous steampunky set and costume design, though, so I might keep going just for that. 

I’ll get to The Nevers at some point, I promise.

I am in Season 3 of the Adulterer on Prime. The first two seasons were very well done and riveting. Whether the show is as good going forward remains to be seen. The actors and the Netherland setting are all reasons to watch.

Halston was well done on Netflix.  It's only 5 episodes.  Great performance by Ewan McGregor!  It did earn its "smoking" warning,  I don't think there was one scene where Ewan wasn't smoking a cigarette.

ridski said:

So I meant to watch The Nevers, but accidentally started watching Shadow and Bone instead. 2 episodes in and I’m 50/50 about continuing. It’s an alternative earth fantasy setting (basically 19th century Russia but with a different map and magic) and it looks fantastic. Weirdly, the main character and her plot line is the least interesting part. The actress is good, but the set up is hackneyed from pretty much every YA novel in existence. The other non-magical characters, especially that of an up and coming gangster, are much better. Snappy dialogue and gorgeous steampunky set and costume design, though, so I might keep going just for that. 

I’ll get to The Nevers at some point, I promise.

Shadow and Bone sounds interesting. The Nevers is preparing for a mid season break. A very odd recent episode threw me off. Still, happy with the acting, cast is well chosen and as it is shot in the UK, I'm happy with the sets.

I'm really enjoying "Mare of Easttown" on HBO?  It's a 7-episode police detective drama with Kate Wnslet and Jean Smart (who's been getting lots of press of late) with 5 episodes released so far. Each episode seems to end with either a major cliff-hanger or a major reveal or plot development and epi 5 was no exception.  .

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'm really enjoying "Mare of Easttown" on HBO?  It's a 7-episode police detective drama with Kate Wnslet and Jean Smart (who's been getting lots of press of late) with 5 episodes released so far. Each episode seems to end with either a major cliff-hanger or a major reveal or plot development and epi 5 was no exception.  .

I have major issues with HBO Max. I managed, somehow to see 3 episodes of Mare, but often i get hung up in the sign in/subscription page. I have Xfinity, but I get asked to put in a code flashed on the screen. I can oblige on my iphone, but how do you do that on a TV?

Don’t know what i hate more than calling customer service! In general, though hardly an expert, HBO seems to have a chunky platform over all.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Last episode was very good. Wish it was a little longer.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Last episode was very good. Wish it was a little longer.

Yes, very exciting, indeed. Wish I didn't have to wait a week for the next epi. Too bad about Zabel.  question

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yes, very exciting, indeed. Wish I didn't have to wait a week for the next epi. Too bad about Zabel. 
question

I hope the ending is satisfying. I felt duped when Your Honor ended without warning and left a lot of loose ends. Still, if you haven't seen Your Honor, you might look it up. I'm a pushover for anything set in New Orleans. Lots of drama, twists and turns, and mystery.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yes, very exciting, indeed. Wish I didn't have to wait a week for the next epi. Too bad about Zabel. 
question

I hope the ending is satisfying. I felt duped when Your Honor ended without warning and left a lot of loose ends. Still, if you haven't seen Your Honor, you might look it up. I'm a pushover for anything set in New Orleans. Lots of drama, twists and turns, and mystery.

I will look it up. I always enjoy Bryan Cranston although I remember it getting mix reviews when it came out. 

Who is watching The Handmaid’s Tale?   I’m into season 4 and I think it’s  reached the point of mostly gratuitous violence.  Thankfully I have a small appetite for gratuitous violence. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I will look it up. I always enjoy Bryan Cranston although I remember it getting mix reviews when it came out. 

Interested in hearing your review. It asks the question "how far will a father go to protect his son?"

jeffl said:

Who is watching The Handmaid’s Tale?   I’m into season 4 and I think it’s  reached the point of mostly gratuitous violence.  Thankfully I have a small appetite for gratuitous violence. 

We're watching.  But I feel like they're stretching the plot a bit.  I'm looking for an end.  grin  

jamie said:

jeffl said:

We're watching.  But I feel like they're stretching the plot a bit.  I'm looking for an end. 
grin

Absolutely.  But they’ve got me hooked.  I can’t turn away.  I love plots where I’m looking forward to revenge. Gotta happen at some point, right?

I’ve been watching HACKS on HBO, the relentless, bad vibes, sad sack, nonstop downer. Jean Smart is good but the character is so mean and unhappy, and the Ava character so pathetic that I think I’m gonna take a pass on further episodes. 

Just breezed through Season 1 of StartUp.  I'm a fan of Martin Freeman.  Really enjoying it.  If you like Fargo/Ozark - you'll probably like this one.

Here's the premise: A desperate banker, a Haitian-American gang lord and a Cuban-American hacker are forced to work together to unwittingly create their version of the American dream - organized crime 2.0.

It's on Netflix - originally on Crackle.  3 seasons.

Looks like there's a Korean StartUp series as well.

Loving the return of Lucifer on Netflix!

Season 1 finale of Mare of Easttown tonight. 

Morganna said:

Can't wit to see it tonight...

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Morganna said:

Can't wit to see it tonight...

whew. I thought last week was the finale, and all those loose ends wouldn't be wrapped up until season 2.

drummerboy said:

whew. I thought last week was the finale, and all those loose ends wouldn't be wrapped up until season 2.

It should be interesting to see if they continue it.  It was originally written to be one miniseries. There's definitely an audience for more seasons.

The Lucifer finale was epic! 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I’ve been watching HACKS on HBO, the relentless, bad vibes, sad sack, nonstop downer. Jean Smart is good but the character is so mean and unhappy, and the Ava character so pathetic that I think I’m gonna take a pass on further episodes. 

I'm still watching Hacks. Wife likes it. I don't know what to make of it. There's typically one genuinely laugh out loud moment per episode, but not much else. HBO had a show 6 years ago called Happyish, with Steve Coogan and Kathryn Hahn, which had a similar level of vitriol and snark, but it was all directed at something, and the dark humor actually landed. Only lasted a single season, but so much better than Hacks.

I celebrated the opening of Pride Month by finishing Halston last night. Really enjoyed it for the performances and script, but yeah I'll still happily watch Ewan McGregor going at it with whoever.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!