What series should I watch next?

May have previously posted...

I am getting older.

Chance on Hulu. 2 seasons worth it if only for Dee. Mighty!

Murders at White House Farm

HBO Max

Which really sucks as an app!

Saw Queens Gambit and Loved it

Watching Bridgerton now.  

I am using subtitles which helps.  Definitely a romance novel turned series. That said, interesting watching black and white actors act as the British elite and the actors discussing modern themes.  Overall though-only ok

Finally finished How To with John Wilson. Incredibly interesting, especially the final episode. Also binged the new Perry Mason, which was gruesome and riveting. Incredible performances, excellent writing and score. Definitely recommend. Both on HBO Max.

Been catching up with "Atlanta." There's an episode in the second season called "Teddy Perkins," which is one of the finest, intelligently creepiest things I have ever seen on TV.  It's received huge critical praise and been compared, justly, to "Get Out."     

I just started a re-watch of Twin Peaks.

I'd forgotten how good that show was.

I could watch the automated sharpening of lumber saws all day. grin

Anyone watching The Stand on CBS All Access? 

Personally, I can't wait for CNN's Searching for Italy series to start on 2/14, w/ Stanley Tucci eating his way through Italy.

ETA: what's kinda funny is that the Tastemade channel is currently running a very similar series about Italy, hosted by David Rocco, who is a Tucci look-alike.

Just started a sci first crime one on Hulu, Paradox. Intense film, Nightingale, and Tom Hanks as the bad guy, The Circle!

rcarter31 said:

Just started a sci first crime one on Hulu, Paradox. Intense film, Nightingale, and Tom Hanks as the bad guy, The Circle!

Are you still watching Your Honor?  I'm still in but it's getting pretty outrageous. I missed the last episode.

Looking forward to the new CBS series Clarice based on the character of Agent Starling from Silence of the Lambs.

Morganna said:

Looking forward to the new CBS series Clarice based on the character of Agent Starling from Silence of the Lambs.

Wow, knew nothing about that. Loved SOTL and love JF. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

JF isn’t in it.

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

JF isn’t in it.

Yes, I know. I just wanted to give breath to my adoration of JF. (A lost cause, I know.)

The Carol Burnett Show.  

rcarter31 said:

Just saw episode 1 of Your Honor

riveting.

Showtime 

Sunday's 

Brian Cranston 

Binging this now - wow.

snowmom said:

Binging this now - wow.

I took his suggestion and stayed with it and I'm unable to guess how it will resolve so I"m tuning in each week.

Did anyone watch Superman & Lois that premiered this week?  I thought it was very promising and an interesting reworking of the story.

We just started Valhalla Murders!

Weaker but interesting is The Reckoning...

Recommend Blue Murders on Prime highly. Above Suspicion is a tad heavy on violence but has a good team of detectives on the job. Your Honor is gripping, although seems to go a little unbelievable as to a judge’s control. Cranston’s performance is incredible as always.

mtierney said:

Recommend Blue Murders on Prime highly. Above Suspicion is a tad heavy on violence but has a good team of detectives on the job. Your Honor is gripping, although seems to go a little unbelievable as to a judge’s control. Cranston’s performance is incredible as always.

Did you finish Your Honor? I didn't even realize it was ending. I felt it got very Shakespearean with quite a few coincidences and a heavy dose of death and destruction. It did keep me engaged though.

drummerboy said:

Did anyone watch Superman & Lois that premiered this week?  I thought it was very promising and an interesting reworking of the story.

I liked it a lot, actually.  It had just the right mix of old and new, and set things off in a nice way.  I'm not sure I'm buying the whole super son/skipped a kid thing, though.  Also not clear on how easy it was for two teens to say, "Sure dad, let's leave the city and work on a farm".  

Billionaire -- Showtime and Prime.  Well written, good editing, you can even follow the characters and not get confused.

OK, I'm seriously in a streaming crisis (I know, so trivial).  I'm literally staring at my Netflix list and wondering why it's so big and I'm not interested in watching anything on it.  I will tell you it's not in any sort of order and I have a very serious question to ask - Does anyone else feel there is someone controlling what is presented to me on Netflix, similar to all social media?  I need a second cup of coffee, but something is 'Rotten in Denmark' here.  I'm tired of what they recommend to me, how that "Top 10" list seems to be only what is current or 'new release'.  It seems my 'choices' are very limited and the formula is boring.  I don't think Amazon Prime has caught on yet, but they are probably not far behind.  I have so many streaming choices, but they are all boring me at the moment (except WandaVision, of course).....

I'm going to go read 1984 and be very depressed.....

Is anyone watching Searching for Italy on CNN? As an Italian and an eater, I'm liking it big time.

TheJmon said:

OK, I'm seriously in a streaming crisis (I know, so trivial).  I'm literally staring at my Netflix list and wondering why it's so big and I'm not interested in watching anything on it.  I will tell you it's not in any sort of order and I have a very serious question to ask - Does anyone else feel there is someone controlling what is presented to me on Netflix, similar to all social media?  I need a second cup of coffee, but something is 'Rotten in Denmark' here.  I'm tired of what they recommend to me, how that "Top 10" list seems to be only what is current or 'new release'.  It seems my 'choices' are very limited and the formula is boring.  I don't think Amazon Prime has caught on yet, but they are probably not far behind.  I have so many streaming choices, but they are all boring me at the moment (except WandaVision, of course).....

I'm going to go read 1984 and be very depressed.....

I have exactly the same problem (and I'll bet that you keep trying to see if something different pops up but no such luck and spend a lot of time doing so.)   What I have to do is to know what I want to watch, from recommendations or reviews, and then use the search function to find it, either on Netflix or Amazon Prime. My wife is good at cutting out reviews of things that sound good or interesting and keeping them in a file.  But finding something that is listed on Netflix or Amamzon Prime, no. 

eta - We've become fans of Austalian tv - they reallly know how to do it. 

cramer said:

I have exactly the same problem (and I'll bet that you keep trying to see if something different pops up but no such luck and spend a lot of time doing so.)   What I have to do is to know what I want to watch, from recommendations or reviews, and then use the search function to find it, either on Netflix or Amazon Prime. My wife is good at cutting out reviews of things that sound good or interesting and keeping them in a file.  But finding something that is listed on Netflix or Amamzon Prime, no. 

eta - We've become fans of Austalian tv - they reallly know how to do it. 

Thanks, I think maybe we should start another thread and really do some research on this.  You know what I'm watching right now? Unforgettable, with Poppy Montgomery.  She is a detective in Queens who is from Syracuse NY and has an amazing memory that helps her solve crimes.  Before that I was watching old Buffy and Angel Episodes and resisting all the current offers on every streaming channel I have right now. 

I'm so excited CBS All Access has changed their name to Paramount, NOT.  (I never fell prey to that particular one, but I have Peacock and am not clear why).  

Because of the sheer volume of stuff, something like Rotten Tomatoes is essential to me as a filter though I think it tends to overrate things on a regular basis so I don't get too carried away about missing or delaying viewing of any particular show or movie.  The idea that there are 50 or 100 movies or shows even worth seeing in any given year is ridiculous but you get that impression from RT's best lists.  

Oh, to have Roku stock during the pandemic. But I digress. 

bub said:

Because of the sheer volume of stuff, something like Rotten Tomatoes is essential to me as a filter though I think it tends to overrate things on a regular basis so I don't get too carried away about missing or delaying viewing of any particular show or movie.  The idea that there are 50 or 100 movies or shows even worth seeing in any given year is ridiculous but you get that impression from RT's best lists.  

Yeah, I would agree with that.  Reviews are just that - someone is getting paid to promote something.  It's all very 'Short Attention Span Theatre', if you ask me.  The sheer volume is what no one seems to question, and it has deteriorated the content by the amount of competition for what we watch.  When something really good comes out, we don't even question why it's one out of hundreds of others that are really bad.  

I wish I could go back in time to see what you had a hard time renting at Blockbuster on a Saturday night because all four copies were out of the VHS or Beta video.  We seem to have lowered the bar in terms of what we watch or don't watch.  The reason for this? We are all 'bored in the house, bored in the house, bored'.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.