What series should I watch next?

hmmm, not sure if I mentioned this yet - The Good Fight on CBS All access.  It's a spinoff from the Good Wife.

You can get CBS all access free for a month.  It's soooooo worth it.  Just choose  the plan without commercials.  You will probably zip through it within a month.

Utopia in the end was just OK.

jamie said:

This saddens me. I’m still gearing up to watch it, though. I caught the 1st two episodes of the British version on a plane years ago, and it was compelling and terrifying. I never managed to track down the rest of the show, but was excited to hear about a David Fincher produced version. Of course he left the production.

ridski said:

jamie said:

This saddens me. I’m still gearing up to watch it, though. I caught the 1st two episodes of the British version on a plane years ago, and it was compelling and terrifying. I never managed to track down the rest of the show, but was excited to hear about a David Fincher produced version. Of course he left the production.

Yeah, but this isn't my genre - so I may not be the best critic of it.  I little of my research into this and fans liked the British one better - I wish amazon would stream that version here on prime.  It was still a fun enough ride.  Lagged a little at the end, mainly to allow room for future seasons.

Binged all 3 seasons of Borgen, a show about a female Danish political leader, which is now on Netflix. There's nothing more affirming to watch right now, especially in contrast to the circus that is US politics unfolding out there. 

Loving Zero Zero Zero!!   Anyone seen it?

Queen's Gambit was really good.

I have to check out Zero Zero Zero - thanks for the reco!

Everyone caught up on all of the NXIVM related shows?  They were pretty well done.

jamie said:

Everyone caught up on all of the NXIVM related shows?  They were pretty well done.

I really liked Queen’s Gambit.  I should have said that Zero Zero Zero is on AppleTV. 

jeffl said:

jamie said:

I really liked Queen’s Gambit.  I should have said that Zero Zero Zero is on AppleTV. 

Based on comments here, I started watching ZeroZeroZero. Whoa! Intense mob-driven drug smuggling and attached pan-global chaos. 

And it's on Prime, BTW. 

So much stuff to watch, and I watch Andy Griffith and The Office reruns.

drummerboy said:

So much stuff to watch, and I watch Andy Griffith and The Office reruns.

My daughter says 30 Rock reruns are spirit lifting. 

I'm hooked on The Undoing on HBO. Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland.

Beautifully filmed moody thriller. After Big Little Lies, I was anxious to see her again. As the mystery unfolds, I am unable to guess the outcome. 

The Undoing was pretty good.

Soulmates on AMC is pretty decent.  A little Black Mirrorish, each episode is a one off.  The premise is pretty straightforward - it's the future and people can take a test to find their soul mate.  First one had the red head from Succession. Second one had the guy with the goatee from Billions.

Other then that - Netflix had a new British Baking Show which was good as always.

We're watching The Flight Attendant on HBO Max which is decent.

Liked The Hand of God on Prime. It’s from 2014 and didn’t get the greatest critical acclaim. However, the two seasons were made to order for COVID streaming. Totally distracting with good performances by every cast member. 

Just saw episode 1 of Your Honor

riveting.

Showtime 

Sunday's 

Brian Cranston 

When Season 2 of His Dark Materials started I gave it a look. I decided it was worth going back and watching Season 1.

The film The Golden Compass told part of the story. This HBO series covers Philip Pullman's fantasy trilogy.

It has a science vs. religion concept. Love Lin Manuel Miranda in this.

We watched Season 1 and enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Season 2 Dark Materials. 

bub said:

We watched Season 1 and enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Season 2 Dark Materials. 

I wasn't sure I liked the cast with the exception of Lin Manuel Miranda but I got hooked on the special effects and the complicated  story line. Great set design. Some great costumes..

The best characters are the daemons.

I read the Golden Compass and thought it was better than the series but the series is better than the movie, which was not well received.

Queens Gambit is very good.

How To With John Wilson is great.

The Murders at White House Farm on HBO Max was good.  It was tricky to find in the normal - onDemand area - had to log into HBO on laptop.

You'll recognize a few Game of Thrones actors in the trailer:

I'm about to give "Broadchurch" a try.  Just finished "The Queens Gambit", "Endeavor" before that, and I'm awaiting the next season of "Outlander" (Can't come soon enough!)  I do like the mysteries while I wait....I only have Prime, Netflix, Peacock and some stray others I haven't discovered yet to choose from.  (Covid has introduced me to binge-watching.... .)

Season 4 of "BIG MOUTH" has begun! The funniest and most lewd cartoon show you've ever seen! 

rcarter31 said:

Just saw episode 1 of Your Honor

riveting.

Showtime 

Sunday's 

Brian Cranston 

After your endorsement, I decided to give it a look. I'm intrigued. I'll follow this one.

I'm having casting issues lately. Finding it hard to sympathize with many characters. Not sure how I feel about the son. Might not be the actor, might be the character. But the story rolled out quite dramatically so I'm in.

_Small Axe_, a series of films directed by Steve McQueen, of _12 Years a Slave_, about the West Indian community in London.  The first film concerns a thriving cafe in Notting Hill called the Mangrove, which became a community center and a target of police violence.  Ultimately, nine community figures, including the owner, were arrested and charged with serious offenses.  They became known as the Mangrove Nine, and a famous court case ensued.  This is what this extremely powerful film depicts.  Looking forward to the rest in the series.  

Re-watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad.   Knowing what happened and what follows, it becomes a comedy with Pinkman as the foil.

Watching Breaking Bad a second time is an entirely different experience from the first time, and is as good if not better.  You see and hear things that didn't register with you the first time.  I really came to admire the genius of Gilligan's storytelling.  Crap, now I want to watch it a third time.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

jamie said:

Based on comments here, I started watching ZeroZeroZero. Whoa! Intense mob-driven drug smuggling and attached pan-global chaos. 

And it's on Prime, BTW. 

We got through zero zero zero - well done!

The docuseries on HBO max about the Heaven's Gate cult was well done.

Enjoying an British oldie from 2003, The Last Detective, on Prime. 

Elle_Cee said:

_Small Axe_, a series of films directed by Steve McQueen, of _12 Years a Slave_, about the West Indian community in London.  The first film concerns a thriving cafe in Notting Hill called the Mangrove, which became a community center and a target of police violence.  Ultimately, nine community figures, including the owner, were arrested and charged with serious offenses.  They became known as the Mangrove Nine, and a famous court case ensued.  This is what this extremely powerful film depicts.  Looking forward to the rest in the series.  

It's excellent. Small Axe refers to a West indian proverb that means together we are strong.  The series takes place from the late 1960's to mid-1980's and we lived near Notting Hill in 1969. 

Not suggesting anyone get Apple TV, but if you can get your hands on someone who can give you access to Ted Lasso, do it immediately. We binged the whole first season yesterday and it’s utterly brilliant. Every character is brilliant, it’s funny, it never goes the way you expect, it’s heartwarming, you just have to see it. Can’t recommend it enough.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.