What series should I watch next?

jamie said:

I'm only 2 episodes in - but I'm liking Upload on Prime, it's cool that they're using Lake Mohonk in it.

Thank you, Jamie! I was getting that familiar, I have been here before feeling. I thought it was Lake Mohonk! Mohonk Mountain House is visible in snatches.
Do location credits confirm it?
Spent many wonderful get-a-ways there with family and friends.

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but try it. One reviewer said it's like Friends only set in Jerusalem and "good". 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srugim

It's on Amazon

Also Netflix just started second season of "Dead to Me"

mtierney said:

jamie said:

I'm only 2 episodes in - but I'm liking Upload on Prime, it's cool that they're using Lake Mohonk in it.

Thank you, Jamie! I was getting that familiar, I have been here before feeling. I thought it was Lake Mohonk! Mohonk Mountain House is visible in snatches.
Do location credits confirm it?
Spent many wonderful get-a-ways there with family and friends.

Well, there's no doubt it's Mohonk from the outside.  And a quick search confirms it:

https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2020/05/upload-series-mohonk-hotel-lakeview-filming-location.html

Totally loving Tales from the Loop. Trying not to binge, started to watch it after a doco on urban design & Jane Jacobs (after we had binged Picard). This is so restful, thoughtful, lush, so carefully written. Lovingly gentle, dry humour hidden in clear observations and reasoned warnings. (We’ve been totally spellbound from beginning, now in ep 4)
Should be a classic. Thank you for confirming we should watch. 

If you’re looking for bite-sized joy, honestly: Shaun the Sheep or Bluey. Yep, animated and supposedly aimed at schoolchildren or young families. But truly, stress-relieving and not condescending. (I’ll watch 3 of either, doing dishes or cooking, or before bed)

Lake Mohonk was prominently featured in Billions last night.

Finished Season 3 of Fargo. What a disappointment. Seasons 1 and 2 were far superior. And while I've come to expect at least one bizarre/farfetched/unexplained event per season, the one in Season 3 was so far out and so ridiculous that it derailed the plot entirely.

Just finished this season's My Brilliant Friend. Can't wait for Season 3 but conditions in Italy will no doubt slow down production.

Don’t understand why I hadn’t watched this sooner — Hotel Adlon! Excellent if you enjoy pre WW 1 and 2 family sagas, which I do. Any Bernie Gunther detective fans out there? Philip Kerr uses this hotel in a number books. 

Just finished watching Normal People on Hulu and although I enjoyed it, in the end, I didn't think it was successful. The characters (and the acting) were dark, brooding and so sensual and at times so erotic. I won't provide spoilers, but, at the end, I had to say "after all that!? You idiots!!"

Sucker for these stories of England way, way  back in the day......Belgravia on Epix. 

For anyone who was single in their mid-twenties or early thirties and remembers dating and relationships I again recommend Srugim on Amazon.

The characters live in Jerusalem and are religious but otherwise they could be any young single people in any city. 

Morganna said:

Just finished this season's My Brilliant Friend. Can't wait for Season 3 but conditions in Italy will no doubt slow down production.

From a vague familiarity with the book series and the commercials, I didn't think My Brilliant Friend would appeal to me, but I got hooked by the grittiness of the rough Naples neighborhood in the '50s/'60s, the complex Lila/Lenu friendship, the beautiful cinematography and lush music.

chalmers said:

From a vague familiarity with the book series and the commercials, I didn't think My Brilliant Friend would appeal to me, but I got hooked by the grittiness of the rough Naples neighborhood in the '50s/'60s, the complex Lila/Lenu friendship, the beautiful cinematography and lush music.

The characters are heroic one moment and then frustratingly flawed the next. It feels like a cast of character actors. Only one male character seemed like a typical leading man, Marcello.   

Nothing about it feels typical. I think you are right to describe it as gritty.  I'm drawn to the story despite being frustrated by the actions of the main characters. It seems even more poignant with the current pandemic in Italy.

mtierney said:

Sucker for these stories of England way, way  back in the day......Belgravia on Epix. 

It was ok, overall plot was a bit thin, but the characters were decent.  Certainly filled a Downton void  A pretty limited series - only 6 episodes.   

Looooved Dispatches from Elsewhere - thank you for confirming we should keep it on the downloads list!  We thoroughly enjoyed every episode, carefully kept from bingeing (it was difficult, because we felt very caught up in long conversations the production team were having with us), and the last couple of episodes were atmospherically evocative of some of Daniel Galouye’s writing. (Well, if he’d been writing this century)

Thank you again, everyone, for your comments on this series.

Just started watching Luther, season one. Four episodes in, not sure about staying with it. That woman who killed her entire family, and got away with it, gives me the creeps.

Mtierney, I suspect Luther is a bit too dark for you. It’s not Midsomer Murders.

You might enjoy Shakespeare and Hathaway, or Agatha Raisin much more.

Thanks to Morganna for the "My Brilliant Friend" recommendation.  It's wonderful - beautifully done.  We just finished season 2 last night, and now feel sad and adrift.  Looking forward to its return next year. 

joanne said:

Mtierney, I suspect Luther is a bit too dark for you. It’s not Midsomer Murders.

Dropped Luther the detective — engrossed happily in my third season of Luther— the Devil himself. Just as dark, perhaps, but my cup of tea. 

mtierney said:

joanne said:

Dropped Luther the detective — engrossed happily in my third season of Luther— the Devil himself. Just as dark, perhaps, but my cup of tea. 

Have you seen Good Omens yet? David Tennant and Neil Gaiman play opposite each other. I suspect you’ll enjoy that too.

Can someone please write a series as good as West Wing by Aaron Sorkin? I'm once again relying on my DVD set to get my fix. I did like  Sorkin's HBO series The Newsroom as well. So I'm waiting for his next project, we have a great deal of raw material out there.

Morganna said:

Can someone please write a series as good as West Wing by Aaron Sorkin? I'm once again relying on my DVD set to get my fix. I did like  Sorkin's HBO series The Newsroom as well. So I'm waiting for his next project, we have a great deal of raw material out there.

I'd guess anything by Armando Iannucci would do. I'd start with his film IN THE LOOP, a very funny satire of international relations. And if you haven't watched VEEP, it's great and fits the bill. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'd guess anything by Armando Iannucci would do. I'd start with his film IN THE LOOP, a very funny satire of international relations. And if you haven't watched VEEP, it's great and fits the bill. 

I caught VEEP in the final season and binge watched. I tried to fill in the missing episodes. I'll look for In The Loop. I only have HBO so I miss out on a lot of series recommended here. By the way T, have you found My Brilliant Friend? I'm pretty certain you would like it.  It's not often such interesting female roles are written. Set around Naples, both the location and the language transport you.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I caught VEEP in the final season and binge watched. I tried to fill in the missing episodes. I'll look for In The Loop. I only have HBO so I miss out on a lot of series recommended here. By the way T, have you found My Brilliant Friend? I'm pretty certain you would like it.  It's not often such interesting female roles are written. Set around Naples, both the location and the language transport you.

My wife would say "I can't wait to watch it again" just as we started watching an episode.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I have not but I'm looking for something to watch. I'm watching Shameless, and it's fun, but it's mostly hijinks, with little else, so I may move on from that.  I'll check out My Brilliant Friend. 

just started a German film in Amazon’s Prime, which indicated it had captions. “Beat” started off great, and although the action hardly needs translation, the finer points soon get confusing. I tried choosing English captions, but it didn’t work. is there something I am missing?

joanne said:

Looooved Dispatches from Elsewhere - thank you for confirming we should keep it on the downloads list!  We thoroughly enjoyed every episode, carefully kept from bingeing (it was difficult, because we felt very caught up in long conversations the production team were having with us), and the last couple of episodes were atmospherically evocative of some of Daniel Galouye’s writing. (Well, if he’d been writing this century)

Thank you again, everyone, for your comments on this series.

Loved it up until the ending...then it fell apart completely.  Loved all the scenes of Philly too.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

The dialog is phenomenal.  The last two seasons less compelling the second time around, but so great to rewatch and see a presidency (albeit fictional) with committed, intelligent people.

Morganna said:

The dialog is phenomenal.  The second time around the last two seasons were not as compelling, but I loved seeing a white house (albeit fictional) filled with committed, intelligent people.  I may rewatch Newsroom next.  Or Sports Night if available...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!