What series should I watch next?

Better Call Saul Season 5 started last night on AMC and it's fantastic.

unicorn33 said:

I'm also two episodes in on Hunters, trying to decide whether to continue. It's a very grim show, with some horrifying flashbacks to Nazi atrocities. My spouse finds the show "intriguing" and is more a fan than I, which is surprising, considering I generally have far more stomach than she for such harsh fare. I suppose I'll give it another episode or two, now that the setup has been made clear, but we'll see.

Sadly, my gut says the screenwriter, correctly, determined that a lot of education was required given our political climate and all the deniers...

It did make the first episode really long...

Scratch Your Back is good relief from slicing and dicing folks.

rcarter31 said:

unicorn33 said:

I'm also two episodes in on Hunters, trying to decide whether to continue. It's a very grim show, with some horrifying flashbacks to Nazi atrocities. My spouse finds the show "intriguing" and is more a fan than I, which is surprising, considering I generally have far more stomach than she for such harsh fare. I suppose I'll give it another episode or two, now that the setup has been made clear, but we'll see.

Sadly, my gut says the screenwriter, correctly, determined that a lot of education was required given our political climate and all the deniers...

It did make the first episode really long...

Now, I'm two episodes in and what bothers me is not the darkness, or the violence. It's the comic book feel of so much of it. Super heroes. Super powers. Blah, blah, blah. It seems dramatic and intense but silly (and amateurish) at the same time. As if it can't decide what's it's supposed to be. I'll try one more episode.

Better Call Saul is back on.

I feel so much better.

I watched the Pete Davidson comedy special on Netflix and i thought it was awful. Not funny. Not interesting. No presence.  No charisma. No wit at all.  This guy is a true a$$hole.  And who in the world told him he was the least bit funny? Do not waste the hour. 

Bancroft, a 2 season, 8 episode series has the scariest performance by female detective I can remember! Her mood swings were shocking. Let me know what you think.

Girlfriends on Amazon is middle age angst on steroids! Enjoying episode 2.

I have officially abandoned HUNTERS. Meh. In the end, after 3.5 episodes, I didn't like it. And Pacino's Yiddish accent got on my nerves. It sounded so much more authentic on my bubbe.

mtierney said:

Bancroft, a 2 season, 8 episode series has the scariest performance by female detective I can remember! Her mood swings were shocking. Let me know what you think.

Girlfriends on Amazon is middle age angst on steroids! Enjoying episode 2.

I haven't seen season 2 yet but I felt the same way after seeing season 1.  

foxychica said:

I haven't seen season 2 yet but I felt the same way after seeing season 1.  

Season 2 is over the top!

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I have officially abandoned HUNTERS. Meh. In the end, after 3.5 episodes, I didn't like it. And Pacino's Yiddish accent got on my nerves. It sounded so much more authentic on my bubbe.

You were wiser than I. I stayed with it through the end to see where it would lead. Bad mistake. The show was offensive, insensitive, poorly written, and relentlessly grim. If it's renewed for a second season, you could not pay me to watch it. 

After having sat through a million ads for Zoeys Extraordinary Playlist, I went to Hulu to find out what it's all about. I was a big fan of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so I figured I'd enjoy it.

Aaaaand I have to admit I turned it off after 5 minutes - bored, and hating every character they put on my screen.

Ended up watching 3 more episodes of The Chef Show instead.

ridski said:

After having sat through a million ads for Zoeys Extraordinary Playlist, I went to Hulu to find out what it's all about. I was a big fan of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so I figured I'd enjoy it.

Aaaaand I have to admit I turned it off after 5 minutes - bored, and hating every character they put on my screen.

Thank you for saving me the trouble, 

In a similar vein, I highly anticipated watching TOMMY,  - twice. And I was interested in this show because Adelaide Clemens was in it and I loved her in RECTIFY on Netflix. But I watched one and a half episodes and it was a less-than-mediocre police procedural with all the cliché and none of the fire or wit or originality that the best ones provide. Ah, well.

If you haven't watched RECTIFY, I recommend it.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

In a similar vein, I highly anticipated watching TOMMY,  - twice. And I was interested in this show because Adelaide Clemens was in it and I loved her in RECTIFY on Netflix. But I watched one and a half episodes and it was a less-than-mediocre police procedural with all the cliché and none of the fire or wit or originality that the best ones provide. Ah, well.

Started Rectify. Halfway through E2, looks like a keeper. Thanks.

drummerboy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

Started Rectify. Halfway through E2, looks like a keeper. Thanks.

Yay! The actress Adelaide Clemens, who I mentioned above, plays Tawny. Such a great character.

How do I find the first season of Rectify? The current season doesn’t offer a link as do most shows — or I couldn’t find it. I always like to start at the beginning. grin

mtierney said:

How do I find the first season of Rectify? The current season doesn’t offer a link as do most shows — or I couldn’t find it. I always like to start at the beginning.
grin

I would expect that Netflix lists the seasons and you can go to Season 1 Episode 1. Is that not the case?

We were hoping to like Tommy - but it is horrible - the writing and the acting.  Even Edie can't save it.  She also has the perfect curse voice, you're missing that a little when you take the away from her.  grin

We also saw the first episode of Hunters and we're not too anxious to continue.

We just started watching the first episode of Don't F*** With Cats - it's really well done!  Can't wait to get back to it!

jamie said:

We were hoping to like Tommy - but it is horrible - the writing and the acting.  Even Edie can't save it.  She also has the perfect curse voice, you're missing that a little when you take the away from her. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I liked Adelaide Clemens so much in Rectify I really wanted to like Tommy.

This weekend I watched THIEF on Hulu. Starring Andre Braugher. Six-episode crime thriller from 2014. He’s great. He runs a crew In New Orleans planning a big heist. It gets complicated. Of course. Also starring Meg Whitman from Parenthood. Very intense. Very engrossing. Andre Braugher is a home-town favorite. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

This weekend I watched THIEF on Hulu. Starring Andre Braugher. Six-episode crime thriller from 2014. He’s great. He runs a crew In New Orleans planning a big heist. It gets complicated. Of course. Also starring Meg Whitman from Parenthood. Very intense. Very engrossing. Andre Braugher is a home-town favorite. 

I watched that when it was first broadcast.  It was interesting. 

Sci fi shows:

1.  Have been underwhelmed by the highly praised and cultishly followed "The Expanse."   Hammy overacting and dialog.  Nothing great about it.

2.  Started watching "The Boys," an anti-superhero series on Amazon.  This is good sci fi.  

1. Superheroes are not sci-fi, they’re urban fantasy.

2. The Expanse begs to be watched more than once, there is so much going on in the background. The first 5 episodes make no sense on initial watch, really, and I’ll admit it. And I’ll forgive people for not watching it after the first few. I stopped, but eventually pushed on through, and now think this the best sci-fi  (not fantasy) show ever made. Better than Firefly. Better than season 3 of Babylon 5. It just rocks.

ridski said:

2. The Expanse begs to be watched more than once, there is so much going on in the background. The first 5 episodes make no sense on initial watch, really, and I’ll admit it. And I’ll forgive people for not watching it after the first few. I stopped, but eventually pushed on through, and now think this the best sci-fi  (not fantasy) show ever made. Better than Firefly. Better than season 3 of Babylon 5. It just rocks.

I'm well into season 3 and still think it sucks.  Terrible heavy handed overacting, grandiose.  Not for me.    

Almost through second season of Ricochet— I am blown away, but almost sorry I am into it. “Daniel” breaks my heart. Each character is a story yet to be told. 

Mock if you like, but if, like me, you need completely mindless and mind-BOGGLING television at the same time, occasionally...90 Day Fiance on TLC or Hulu does the trick.  You can't make this kinda **** up.  Insane.

bub said:

ridski said:

I'm well into season 3 and still think it sucks.  Terrible heavy handed overacting, grandiose.  Not for me.    

ridski said:

I am a big fan of all of the books in the series. I have to say that watching the series on Amazon has been fun, but I find myself wondering if someone who has not read the books can follow what is going on.

bub said:

ridski said:

you're into season 3 of a show that you think sucks?

drummerboy said:

bub said:

ridski said:

you're into season 3 of a show that you think sucks?

sorta guilt driven.  I started watching after a good friend's relentless plugging of it.  Didn't want to offend.   I'm done now.

mrincredible said:

ridski said:

I am a big fan of all of the books in the series. I have to say that watching the series on Amazon has been fun, but I find myself wondering if someone who has not read the books can follow what is going on.

I haven't started reading them yet. While fully aware there's a lot happening behind the scenes that I don't know about, I've learned a lot by rewatching seasons 1 and 2. Those first few episodes are DENSE, though, and sometimes I wish I had the subtitles on for the belter creole.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.