What series should I watch next?

galileo said:

I’ll just wait.One of these days it will be on PBS or Netflix. I refuse to pay for anymore . Thanks for responding.

If you live in Maplewood, you can get Doc Martin through BCCLS.  

Thank you. Lived in Maplewood all my life. Will try this out.

foxychica - I just ordered the DVD for Doc Martin. I order books all the time from the library but never thought of this. Again, thanks.

cramer said:

shanabana said:

A French Village 

@shanabana -  A French Village is excellent. I can only get Seasons 1, 3 and 4, and not all episodes of those seasons, on Amazon Prime for free. To get the other seasons and episodes I have to pay for MHzChoice. How did you watch it?

Since we were binge-watching the series, I signed up for the "one week free" of MHzChoice. Worked out okay because they have other foreign stuff on there.  Didn't much care for the final season of AFV, though.

Rivoli said:

I’m loving “Call My Agent.” Although I’m fairly fluent in French, I’d be lost without the subtitles - the characters speak really fast! So I don’t think you need to understand French to enjoy the show. It’s a great break from the annoyances of life as we know it in the US.

Also loved “Schitts Creek,” which could serve as a teaching tool for how to become a better person. Thanks, MOL, for surfacing both shows for me. 

Yeah, Call my agent is super fast.  So funny tho. Sometimes I rewatch and just try to listen for practice. I don't even know all those famous french actors and I still loved the show. TV usually is fast, a little more so than movies, and way more so than real life. 

Oh, I forgot to mention my other favorite French series, the hilarious spoof on Cold-War spy shows, A Very Secret Service. Kind of helps if you've experienced the beurocratic side of Fench culture, but still very funny if you have not, or so my husband says. Loved how they dealt with French imperialism, decolonization, etc. review of series

Wish The Hunters was on HBO or Showtime. I'd like to watch it.  I have awful luck with Amazon. My account has attempted hacks all the time. Once from an address in Russia if you can believe it. And Prime started charging me a monthly fee for quick delivery which I never ordered so I'm wary of getting Amazon Prime for the series.

Al Pacino will have to find me elsewhere.

For the Better Call Saul fans, season 4 was just released on Netflix. One of my favorite series.

wedjet said:

For the Better Call Saul fans, season 4 was just released on Netflix. One of my favorite series.

And Season 5 drops on Feb 23.

Finally finished season 4 of The Expanse. Not my favorite season, but still brilliant. Moving onto season 2 of Lost In Space next.

ridski said:

Finally finished season 4 of The Expanse. Not my favorite season, but still brilliant. Moving onto season 2 of Lost In Space next.

What the hell is The Expanse?

I'm so behind....

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

What the hell is The Expanse?

I'm so behind....

Possibly the best sci-fi show ever made. Canceled by SyFy channel, then rescued by Amazon.

Oh, Amazon?  I've got that one.

I've been hearing about YOU and finally watched the first episode. I found it creepy and unsettling. Neither pleasant nor engaging. Can someone convince me to watch more? Or should I just not bother?

I made it through the first season of You. It's not horrible but I couldn't get into the second season. The writing is not strong, and the plot twist you hope for . . . well, let me just say that I couldn't get into the second season. Not worth another six hours of your time IMO.

I got 20 minutes into Lost in Space season 2 before someone did something so patently stupid I had to switch it off.

The first 4/5 episodes of season 1 were like that, before it became obvious that someone on the production team had read The Martian and realized they could use actual science to resolve problems instead of technobabble, handwavium and deus ex machina, but apparently they've gone back to the beginning again. What a shame.

I'm well into season 2 of Lost in Space.  It has its flaws. Too much reliance on them getting into and out of cliched perils with almost no effort to advance and reveal the central mystery (the robot etc.).  Plus, the Robinsons' inexplicable nonchalance about the danger you know who poses, combined with her  seeming ability to game all situations, gets on my nerves.  Still, its an earnest Sci fi show with a likable cast (except for her).  I'll finish out season 2 and move on.       

I started watching HIGH FIDELITY on Hulu last night and couldn't stop. I loved the original book and the movie with John Cusack, Now this. With Zoe Kravitz.

I'm enjoying Press, a BBC series about two rival newspapers in London starring Charlotte Riley (and with brief non-Poirot appearances by David Suchet!). The series was released in 2018 so some of the headline topics aren't as fresh as they must have seemed then, but it gives a reasonable portrayal of ethical issues and the rise of online news.

I'm late coming to Schitt's Creek. Just finished Season 1. That is a very funny show.

bub said:

I'm well into season 2 of Lost in Space.  It has its flaws. Too much reliance on them getting into and out of cliched perils with almost no effort to advance and reveal the central mystery (the robot etc.).  Plus, the Robinsons' inexplicable nonchalance about the danger you know who poses, combined with her  seeming ability to game all situations, gets on my nerves.  Still, its an earnest Sci fi show with a likable cast (except for her).  I'll finish out season 2 and move on.   

I've made it to episode 4. These people's lives would be so much easier if they just told each other what's going on. They have radios. It's utterly infuriating. I'm literally hate-watching this show because I like the cast and it's so beautifully shot (except the foreground signage that should be background signage).

unicorn33 said:

I'm late coming to Schitt's Creek. Just finished Season 1. That is a very funny show.

I've tried to watch it 2 or 3 times based on raves like yours. But I could never get into it. Catherine O'Hara just creeps me out and the whole set up is so skeevy. My loss, I guess.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I've tried to watch it 2 or 3 times based on raves like yours. But I could never get into it. Catherine O'Hara just creeps me out and the whole set up is so skeevy. My loss, I guess.

Humor is very subjective. What one person thinks is hilarious doesn't even bring a smile to someone else. What is somewhat unusual for us with this show is that both my spouse and I find it funny, which is not always the case with comedies.

Watched two episodes of Dexter because I love the actor from 6 Feet Under etc. also was impressed the series lasted several seasons. HOWEVER, it is so gross, even the blood splatter science is too bloody IMO, is there redemption in Dexter’s future?

Cheer is well done!

Hmm, in regards to Dexter - I never though of it as gross.  I'm now curious to see how gross it was in the first 2 episodes.  Blood splatter science sort of needs blood as a visual - no?

It was a great series - I would say stick with it.

Anyone watching the new Amazon series Hunters? (That's the one with Pacino.)

unicorn33 said:

Anyone watching the new Amazon series Hunters? (That's the one with Pacino.)

No, but I'm hoping to start it tonight....

jamie said:

Cheer is well done!

Hmm, in regards to Dexter - I never though of it as gross.  I'm now curious to see how gross it was in the first 2 episodes.  Blood splatter science sort of needs blood as a visual - no?

It was a great series - I would say stick with it.

I loved Dexter back in the day, though it probably ran for at least one season too long.

But I'll always consider the opening sequence, with the eggs and the floss and the shoelaces, to be the most brilliant opening of any show.

We just finished the first two episodes of Hunters. Startling! Timely, Terrifying! I probably don't really follow the cinematic debt this owes to The Big Lebowski and Kill Bill but WOW!!!

Hang in through an over long episode 1 for the real set up in episode 2!

Thank You, Watchmen!!!

on Prime! 

Must be "something" in the wind as Plot Against America is coming...

I'm also two episodes in on Hunters, trying to decide whether to continue. It's a very grim show, with some horrifying flashbacks to Nazi atrocities. My spouse finds the show "intriguing" and is more a fan than I, which is surprising, considering I generally have far more stomach than she for such harsh fare. I suppose I'll give it another episode or two, now that the setup has been made clear, but we'll see.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.