What series should I watch next?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Watched American Factory on Netflix. I can’t recommend it highly enough. We talk about China all the time and it’s tRump’s obsession. Watch this fascinating, sad and brutally-real documentary to see what China, and America, are really about and how profoundly and fundamentally different they are.  It’s a must-see if you want to understand the worlds economy and America’s place in it. 

And please share your reaction here. I’m curious what others think. 

yeah, watched it tonight. Highly recommended.

The Family on Netflix is pretty good - 5 parts.  We should probably start a thread about it in the politic section.

There was a Peaky Blinders Festival in Birmingham this weekend: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49687187

Just started watching Diagnosis on Netflix which is based on the NYT column written by Lisa Sanders, MD. Sort of a mystery diagnosis show that gets crowd sourced. Each episode is a new case.

cubby said:

Just started watching Diagnosis on Netflix which is based on the NYT column written by Lisa Sanders, MD. Sort of a mystery diagnosis show that gets crowd sourced. Each episode is a new case.

I've been watching that as well and enjoying it but the episode about the military veteran with no happy ending was quite depressing. 

Morganna said:

nan said:

I thought the story was wrapped up with the ending, but I'm sure they might continue if lots of money is involved.

I will check out My Brilliant Friend.  My sister keeps telling me to watch Gentleman Jack, which I think you also recommended.  I need to get away from politics a bit with escapist TV.

Love Gentleman Jack. There's that wink at the camera in the style of old Woody Allen movies. Intelligent, sensuous, witty and artistically designed. Suranne Jones portrays the real life story of Anne Lister In a way that can best be described as dashing. I can't imagine any other actress pulling off this role with such appeal. The back story is fascinating as she wrote her personal journals in code. Yes listen to your sister! I pulled out an old top hat and actually decided its time had returned. If you love Steampunk you will covet  her entire wardrobe.

As a fellow political Road Warrior, I can't wait to hear your response to My Brilliant Friend which takes place in Southern Italy with passions revolving around communism. It has a certain Lena Wertmuller quality whose films such as The Seduction of Mimi, Swept Away, Seven Beauties and Love and Anarchy explored the politics of the era with romance and humor.

I generally can’t stay awake for British period pieces like Gentleman Jack...but after dozing off and on through episode 1, I immediately watched episode 2 and I’m all in.  I may just have to watch first thing in the morning!

I think BIG MOUTH on Netflix may be the funniest animated thing I've ever seen on TV. Maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen ever. Period.

If you're a prude, skip it. But if you can laugh at the most profane sexual  humor, about middle-schoolers and their insecurities and their not-so-imaginary hormone monsters (over-sexualized shoulder angels, one of whom is the ghost of Duke Ellington), puberty, insecurity, masturbation, parental malfeasance, racial, sexual and social satire (to the MAX!) and more, then I suggest you jump in. Unbelievably funny. And yes, crude.

But truths arise!

Start with Season One. Season Three is available now i think.

I dare you to not laugh out loud.

The Durrell’s and Poldark are back, so that’s nice.

I have over 10 pages on this thread to catch up on...

If you haven't caught The Bikes of Wrath, do so! You can download it, or watch it at a cinema (I'm not sure when it comes to you next), and there'll be a 6-part series. 

A different kind of travelogue, a different view of the US, and one heck of a way to read a book. Especially watch it if you're sick of politics, or feeling lonely or depressed, or want to move to Canada or a safe tropical island.

Bikes of Wrath. Brilliant.

Currently watching Hell on Wheels, just into Season 2 out of 5. I enjoyed Deadwood so much, I thought this would be a poor relation. But, it is not. I totally missed it when it ran on AMC. Thank you, Netflix.

Enjoying so far:   Bless the Harts (Fox/Hulu) and Letterkenny (Hulu).   Letterkenny is pure comedic brilliance with fast paced writing that you may need to re-wind to fully enjoy. I think of it as the rural Canadian version of  "Derry Girls"  - subtitles encouraged.

I'm disappointed there was no summer season of My Brilliant Friend.

Does anyone recommend Unbelievable on Netflix? Thanks.

mem said:

Yes, it was well done. We enjoyed it.  

mem said:

Excellent!

Morganna said:

I'm disappointed there was no summer season of My Brilliant Friend.

That mini series is incredibly intensive to film.  I believe I read a Winter release for the next one.

mem said:

Yes!

Just finished Succession last night. Wow. What a crazy trip. Some pretty awful people doing some pretty awful things. But entertaining as hell. 

I truly enjoyed Fleabag and also recommend Derry Girls.  Lets not forget Maigret with 

Rowan Atkison.

I just finished bingeing Better Call Saul.

Now it's over and I'm sad.

drummerboy said:

I heard they made a sequel.

The actor who plays Saul (Bob Odenkirk?) was in an episode of the Kominsky Method.

Into the sixth of nine seasons of Doc Martin British series. Very restful after an overload of murder and mayhem

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

I heard they made a sequel.

The sequel is to Breaking Bad, a full-length movie called El Camino. If you liked Breaking Bad, you'll like El Camino. 

cramer said:

The sequel is to Breaking Bad, a full-length movie called El Camino. If you liked Breaking Bad, you'll like El Camino. 

Um...

I loved the original El Camino. 

I liked El Camino. Its as if they added 2 episodes on to Breaking Bad all about Jessie.

My husband and I have just finished the 7th episode of Modern Love on Amazon Prime.  The series is based on essays that have been published in the New York Times under the general title Modern Love. The episodes are only 30 minutes long and we have found each one to be heartwarming and beautifully done. Definitely worth taking a look at. We’re sorry to see that we only have one more episode to watch. 

Just discovered Penny Dreadful reruns on Showtime in time for Halloween and the rest of the year. Very Industrial Revolution, a bit Steampunk, with a intense dose of horror. Great sets, costumes and special effects.My new hobby will be catching up on a few seasons of this Gothic Horror series.

Mema said:

My husband and I have just finished the 7th episode of Modern Love on Amazon Prime.  The series is based on essays that have been published in the New York Times under the general title Modern Love. The episodes are only 30 minutes long and we have found each one to be heartwarming and beautifully done. Definitely worth taking a look at. We’re sorry to see that we only have one more episode to watch. 

The one with Anne Hathaway was stunning.   I am shocked at the star power involved in these stories.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.