What series should I watch next?

New season of True Detective is excellent, featuring the actor from Green Book.

Has echoes from the West Memphis 3...

HBO

binged Breaking Bad. I feel so bad. Think it would have worked out better over four seasons instead of five.

Acting was the best I have seen in a long time — the old adage “money is the root of all evil” is right on the money.

rcarter31 said:

Incredibly talented film star and Academy Award winner Mehershala Ali.

mtierney said:
binged Breaking Bad. I feel so bad. Think it would have worked out better over four seasons instead of five.

Acting was the best I have seen in a long time — the old adage “money is the root of all evil” is right on the money.

Actually the quote you’re thinking of is:

‘The LOVE of money is the root of all evil...’

Got a free week of HBO on Amazon Prime and am watching "Barry"--it's so good!!

+ 1 on Barry and Breaking Bad. Also really enjoyed Shameless.

A couple of friends recommended the Kominsky Method, but I have mixed feelings about it. Arkin and Douglas are excellent, but in order to find the show "funny," you have to be able to laugh at some mighty rough content--death, disease, drug use. It's also a sad portrait of getting older.

Comedies sure have changed from years ago. Now so many of them are "dramedies." Barry, for example, is about a hit man, and Orange Is the New Black has gotten darker and darker every season. I kinda miss the more innocent humor of Seinfeld, Cheers, and the like.

Grace and Frankie Season 5 on Netflix!   

unicorn33, try Rosehaven. 

The accents will be a bit of a challenge - Luke has a tendency to mumble anyway and he plays it up for this character - you can always turn on subtitles until you get used to the real Aussieness (Strine) of the accent. 

Don't worry, some of us wondered a bit in the first couple of eps! 

Luke and Celia have been writing and performing for years and years. Live, and sketch.  They've also worked on a really funny exposé of bureaucracy called Utopia, and I think we're involved in parts of The Games. 

If you like quirky with a teeny twist, look for anything with Josh Thomas. Please Like Me can be delightful, but is sometimes painful - I gather it's reflective of parts of the youthful cast's real lives, especially his. 

joanne said:
unicorn33, try Rosehaven. 
The accents will be a bit of a challenge - Luke has a tendency to mumble anyway and he plays it up for this character - you can always turn on subtitles until you get used to the real Aussieness (Strine) of the accent. 
Don't worry, some of us wondered a bit in the first couple of eps! 
Luke and Celia have been writing and performing for years and years. Live, and sketch.  They've also worked on a really funny exposé of bureaucracy called Utopia, and I think we're involved in parts of The Games. 
If you like quirky with a teeny twist, look for anything with Josh Thomas. Please Like Me can be delightful, but is sometimes painful - I gather it's reflective of parts of the youthful cast's real lives, especially his. 

I believe that's on Sundance, which I don't think is part of my package.

youtube has a few fun scenes, but I can’t find much else to point you to. LOL I know our libraries have access to popular TV series like this that you can access with your ordinary membership card; maybe your local library has similar arrangements?

Season 3 is about to start over here. 

joanne said:
youtube has a few fun scenes, but I can’t find much else to point you to. LOL I know our libraries have access to popular TV series like this that you can access with your ordinary membership card; maybe your local library has similar arrangements?
Season 3 is about to start over here. 

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Escape at Dannemora. 7 episodes. Really entertaining.

Just finished season 1 of Broadchurch. Excellent.

joanne said:
UK or USA version?

Didn't know there were two versions. The one on Netflix. Very well written. Kept me guessing till the end.

David Tennant is in both, so it's confusing. cheese

Has anyone seen Netflix' The Casketeers?

Just finished Better Call Saul (streamed Breaking Bad earlier). Both meshed together so well. Lovable huckster/scheister, Saul, made it tough to hate him. 

If anyone forgot how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman, I caught the line explaining his choice....

‘It’s ..all ..good ...man

just between you and me, I’ve watched a few episodes of Dr. Pimple Popper on TLC. It’s pretty disgusting but it’s hard to look away. 

Need a suggestion for something light and funny like ...Mrs. Maisel.

Any suggestions? 

jimmurphy said:

Any suggestions? 

I've been meaning to watch Russian Doll. Has anyone watched it?    

I started Russian Doll.  I'm on the fence about it.  Not wowed but it's watchable.  We'll see if it gets better.

I recommend a Britcom on Amazon Prime called "Family Tree," directed by Christopher Guest.  The main character is played by the Irish actor who was Kristen Wiig's love interest in Bridesmaids.  His father is played by Michael McKean (Guest's Spinal Tap "bandmate" and Lenny from Laverne and Shirley).  

bub said:
I started Russian Doll.  I'm on the fence about it.  Not wowed but it's watchable.  We'll see if it gets better.

I agree. I like the characters but it's not going anywhere. It's repetitive in a Groundhog Day sort of way, but without the Bill Murray antics. Plus, Natasha Lyonne, who was so good in Orange Is the New Black, struggles to carry the script and plot on her shoulders. (Plus I don't like her hair or makeup.) I'll keep watching, though. I think it's only 8 episodes or so.

Somebody described this show to me as The Kominsky Method for the  downtown crack set.

jimmurphy said:

Any suggestions? 

American Wife, Blackish, The Kids are Allright, Brooklyn 999, Life in Pieces.

Russian Doll is absolutely worth sticking with.

rcarter31 said:
Has echoes from the West Memphis 3...
HBO

Hooked on True Detective. My favorite was the first season. They lost me on the second but this season has me.

T Bone Burnett so cool

Watched most of the first season of A Million Little Things....

daveturnley said:
Russian Doll is absolutely worth sticking with.

Stuck with it. Wished I hadn't. Not a fan. Not sure why the critics were so high on it.

From my DVD collection I am once again watching West Wing.  Fast funny still current and of course I wish we had President Bartlet instead of what's his name.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertisement

Advertise here!