What series should I watch next?

Good luck with that ElizMcCord.  I have been trying for the same thing.   It isn't just Netflix ...there doesn't seem to be any thoughtful ones out there.   

check out TCM — they will run the oldies from the ‘50s onward. Best Family viewing this time of year.

I just moved the Xmas movie's question to a new thread:

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/any-good-christmas-movies

Let's reserve this one for series.  Also - we need more entertainment threads.  grin

I just finished Season Two of BIG MOUTH. It's insanely funny. And as rude and profane and you could imagine.

's wunnerful.

(And yes, I'm in the middle of season 8 of NYPD Blue.)

mtierney said:
The Russian 12 part series, “The Road to Calvary,” is amazing. An epic production on a Hollywood scale. No “Lara,” but Tolstoy’s Daria and Catherine are equally fascinating characters.

Where can I view this?

+ 1 on both Bodyguard and Homecoming. Enjoyed them both a lot.

Mrs Meisel returns Dec 5!!!

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

binged the entirety of THE KOMINSKY METHOD yesterday on Netflix. I thought it was wonderful. Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. I highly recommend it. 

Soulful, we are suddenly disagreeing about everything!   I tried 3 episodes of TKM and found it painful.  

Just finished first episode of My Brilliant Friend on HBO, and I loved it.  Stayed perfectly true, every word, to the book, and the darkness is captured.   Loved this and especially love that its in italian with English sub-titles.

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

binged the entirety of THE KOMINSKY METHOD yesterday on Netflix. I thought it was wonderful. Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. I highly recommend it. 
 Soulful, we are suddenly disagreeing about everything!   I tried 3 episodes of TKM and found it painful.  

Ah, well, we can respectfully disagree. 

I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes of FAUDA and found it engrossing, frustrating and so sad. In this show (and in reality?) both sides in this eternal struggle are short-sighted, petty, cruel and violent. 

Sigh....

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes of FAUDA and found it engrossing, frustrating and so sad. In this show (and in reality?) both sides in this eternal struggle are short-sighted, petty, cruel and violent. 
Sigh....

We’re back to agreeing.  Loved Fauda and a different, similar show I can’t recall right now.  

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Sigh....

We are back to agreeing. I really liked Fauda as well. I also liked Hostages a lot. Very similar.

bingeing the BBC George Gently Irish detective series. Such a relief from the CSI shows today. Gumshoes, cigarettes, whiskey, and complicated characters.

I've been watching 2nd season of The Patriot on Prime, and enjoying it.  I'm not usually a fan of the CIA, but it's not a positive view, the writing is great, the characters strong and the humor mesmerizingly dark.  Also, they added Debra Winger as the mother and she's great.  

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Sigh....
 We’re back to agreeing.  Loved Fauda and a different, similar show I can’t recall right now.  
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Sigh....
 We are back to agreeing. I really liked Fauda as well. I also liked Hostages a lot. Very similar.

AGree with you both about Fauda, and the second season is even better.

Jeffl - I loved Hostages, as well, but I don't find it very similar. The Israeli series that is really incredible (and upon which HOMELAND is based) is called Prisoners of War (English) or Hatufim (Hebrew title). You can search either way on Netflix. It is much better than Homeland, in my opinion.

Much has been written about the Fauda phenomenon. It is actually very popular throughout the Arab world. It is the first series that shows both sides as completely human and deeply flawed.

Counterpart - Season 2 starts on Sunday on Starz - Season 1 was pretty good - we binged it pretty recently.

I’m watching Fauda. Great show thanks for the rec. Anybody know if there’s any symbolism between the Jewish charachters ‘speaking’/dubbing in English and the Palestinians strictly speaking Arabic with English subtitles?  

jamie said:
Counterpart - Season 2 starts on Sunday on Starz - Season 1 was pretty good - we binged it pretty recently.

Really liked Season 1.  Would like to find a good efficient written recap of Season 1 before plowing into 2.  

ElizMcCord said:
I’m watching Fauda. Great show thanks for the rec. Anybody know if there’s any symbolism between the Jewish charachters ‘speaking’/dubbing in English and the Palestinians strictly speaking Arabic with English subtitles?  

Are you watching on Netflix? I've never seen that.

debby said:

ElizMcCord said:
 Are you watching on Netflix? I've never seen that.

Yes. Netflix. 

eliz said:
I should follow up and say Netflix helped me work around this and the series was excellent - highly recommend.
eliz said:

So I just sat down with a glass of wine to start Fauda and I don't think I can watch it - the Arab characters dialog is left in tact with subtitles but the Israelis have been dubbed with weird American voices... Why would they do this? It really wrecks it.

@ElizMcCord - it's your settings you need to adjust.

eliz said:

eliz said:
I should follow up and say Netflix helped me work around this and the series was excellent - highly recommend.
eliz said:

So I just sat down with a glass of wine to start Fauda and I don't think I can watch it - the Arab characters dialog is left in tact with subtitles but the Israelis have been dubbed with weird American voices... Why would they do this? It really wrecks it.

@ElizMcCord - it's your settings you need to adjust.

OMG the voices? It's impossible to match the passion of the characters to the dubbing, so annoying. Thanks sooo much for this.  I'll change it now I'm starting season 2. 

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is back. Better than ever. Watched every episode back to back. 

boomie said:
Just finished first episode of My Brilliant Friend on HBO, and I loved it.  Stayed perfectly true, every word, to the book, and the darkness is captured.   Loved this and especially love that its in italian with English sub-titles.

I'm really captivated. I've seen every episode so far. New episode tonight. Amazing character actors. Rich atmosphere. Brought back vivid memories of travels in Italy. Who are your favorite characters?

Its so brutal and real at times.   My mother comes from that area and is around the same age as Lenu so it really hits home for me.   Favorite character - I like Pasquale, that dance scene was fantastic.  The acting is just all around excellent.  I thought all the episodes were released at the same time?  I've watched 5 now.

snowmom said:

NotoriousEAM said:
Anybody into FORTITUDE? It's set in Iceland. You think you're getting into a police drama and then things get crazy. Finishing up Season 2 which is shockingly gruesome. 
 It really jumped the shark by Episode 9 or 10 in first season.  But I continued to watch and will likely suffer through Season 2 as well.   BTW it takes place in Norway, not Iceland.

Oh, really! Wow. I didn't know. Thanks!

I'm sure it has already been discussed but anyone watched "The Five?" It's a UK TV series created by Harlan Coben, the American thriller author. It's a 10-episode series and fun to watch.

If you like historical series:

The Woman in White

The Miniaturist 

Sci Fi or sci fi on other channels

I've been binging on Nightfyers. Also looking forward to seeing season 2 of Counterpart.

If you want to see Michelle Dockery doing something completely different from Lady Mary then go for Good Behavior...we only got season 1 here.

I have free HBO for 3 months. What must I consider watching before the promo ends? 

I love GOT, never seen Boardwalk Empire, I liked the SJP Divorce show etc etc. 

thank you kindly. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.