What series should I watch next?

Wallender, starring Kenneth Branagh, on Netflix.   Detective series set in Sweden, but dialogue is in English.

ridski said:

ElizMcCord said:
Season 2 of Goliath is streaming on Prime. Billy Bob is certifiable. Also excellent in this show. 
 It took me a while to get into the character, but after a few episodes we got hooked and really enjoyed season 1. Looking forward to season 2.

We're up to the last 2 episodes of season 2. David E. Kelley is a remarkable writer. Love his characters. (Spoiler alert from season 1.)

Marcella. Wow. Just wow. That is all. 

Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth on Netflix.  The compilation of a series of interviews with Bill Moyers from 1988.  Fantastic.

We just finished watching the first season of Babylon Berlin. It took a few episodes but we really got into it. I think we're going to have a Babylon Berlin summer. 

We're enjoying two Netflix series which may have been mentioned in this thread before.

The new "One Day at a Time" starring Justin's Machado is one of our new favorites. I wish it didn't have a laugh track but there's lots of good comedy and some very powerful and relevant stuff about everything from being Latinx in America, veteran's issues (The main character served in Afghanistan and struggles with PTSD), teen sexuality and guns. Rita Moreno is a national treasure and it's a master class in stealing a show.

We also like Santa Clarita Diet. Drew Barrymore is very funny as a middle class working mom who comes down with a case of zombieism and Tim Olyphant is brilliant as her husband who struggles mightily to cope and be supportive. And I love Skyler Gisondo as the teenage nerd next door who helps them and their teenage daughter navigate the world of the undead. There are some gruesome scenes, but they're cartoonish. 

Marcella is INCREDIBLE! So glad to know of another fan.

Just finished up La Floret (The Forest). Think it's about 6 episodes, subtitled. Gripping and suspenseful. Netflix.

cramer said:
We just finished watching the first season of Babylon Berlin. It took a few episodes but we really got into it. I think we're going to have a Babylon Berlin summer. 

I was intrigued but the dubbing is so bad. Is there a subtitles version available?

j_r said:

cramer said:
 I was intrigued but the dubbing is so bad. Is there a subtitles version available?

I was able to get English subtitles on Netflix.  At the beginning where it says "Play Season 1: Episode 1," scroll down to "Audio and subtitles." 

I agree the dubbing was bad. Once I realized that I could get English subtitles, I chose German for the audio. 

Anybody into FORTITUDE? It's set in Iceland. You think you're getting into a police drama and then things get crazy. Finishing up Season 2 which is shockingly gruesome. 

NotoriousEAM said:
Anybody into FORTITUDE? It's set in Iceland. You think you're getting into a police drama and then things get crazy. Finishing up Season 2 which is shockingly gruesome. 

Netflix or Amazon?

kibbegirl said:

NotoriousEAM said:
 Netflix or Amazon?

Amazon and yes gruesome

Just watched Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Very cute short episodes.

Sharp Objects on HBO. Dark. Darker than my other favorite Big Little Lies but not as dark as the first True Detective. 

Just renewed my interest in How Green Was My Cactus, a satirical radio serial informed by Australian and international politics. 

The latest ep is on the Helsinki summit. 

Subscription is free, and you can listen online.

http://cactus.com.au/cactarians/ 

jeffl said:
I'm going to keep flogging Hostages until someone else watches it and reports back.  I thought it was one of the best shows that I've seen this year.  That and Peaky Blinders.

Hostages was fantastic - both seasons.

Even better : Hatufim/Prisoners of War. It is the original Israeli series from which Homeland was adapted...and it is SO much better.

eliz said:
I just saw that Season 2 of Fauda is out on Netflix.

Even better than the 1st season!

It amazes me just how many shows are out there that I've never even heard of! Who can keep up?  question 

After multiple recommendations from my son, last night I watched 2 episodes of NAILED IT on Netflix. If you like (or don't like) Chopped, but don't like the tone or the commercials, this show is for you. It's a dessert baking competition where every contestant fails. It's very very funny. I'm not sure I can watch more than a few episodes but the show has a great attitude and unlike other network cooking shows, no ads! you'll laugh out loud, I promise.  

From Google: "Home bakers who have a poor track record in the kitchen seek redemption -- and cash -- on this series. In each episode, three contestants try their hand at re-creating edible masterpieces. The projects don't always turn out great, but whichever amateur baker comes closest to a successful dessert by the end of the episode takes home the $10,000 prize, which they might want to use on baking lessons. Comic Nicole Byer and renowned pastry chef Jacques Torres host the culinary competition that features such challenges as painting self-portraits on cookies."

Did I say funny? 

debby said:

jeffl said:
I'm going to keep flogging Hostages until someone else watches it and reports back.  I thought it was one of the best shows that I've seen this year.  That and Peaky Blinders.

Even better : Hatufim/Prisoners of War. It is the original Israeli series from which Homeland was adapted...and it is SO much better.

How does one watch it?

I just started Ozarks, season 1. It is really, really good. 

Baldwin said:
I just started Ozarks, season 1. It is really, really good. 

Good timing. Season 2 is supposed to come out next month.  Looking forward to it.

zucca said:
Has anyone watched Killing Eve? It's not totally my kind of thing, but I really like Sandra Oh and the psychopath/assassin is fascinating.

Loved this series and can't wait for Season 2!! 

We're watching season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale - it's really good!  

jamie said:
We're watching season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale - it's really good!  

Does the sun ever come out on that show?

Marcella is ridiculous. The lead actress (and some of the others) are great but the storylines are INSANE. The end of season 2 was so completely bonkers that I'm done.

debby said:

jeffl said:

It's on Hulu. I have it on my list to watch this summer.

cramer said:

ridski said:

ElizMcCord said:
Season 2 of Goliath is streaming on Prime. Billy Bob is certifiable. Also excellent in this show. 
 It took me a while to get into the character, but after a few episodes we got hooked and really enjoyed season 1. Looking forward to season 2.
We're up to the last 2 episodes of season 2. David E. Kelley is a remarkable writer. Love his characters. (Spoiler alert from season 1.)

Goliath, seasons 1 & 2 are incredible. However, season 2 goes pretty dark - not for the squeamish. Caveat emptor.

Just finished binge watching Silk on Amazon Prime. A British legal series. Very good.

I don't know if it's been mentioned lately, Line of Duty about the British version of police internal affairs is excellent. Available on Hulu.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.