The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

DaveSchmidt said:

When Trump’s capacity for expressing imaginative empathy reaches even inanimate objects, or he writes something as minimally evocative as “tears streaming down their strong stone faces,” and I don’t believe it, yes, the joke will be on me.

Until then, it doesn’t take a Ph.D. in linguistics to listen to the different ways people write and speak.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/analysis/2018/09/08/according-to-donald-trump-a-lot-of-people-are-crying-around-donald-trump.html

it's starting to become more unbelievable that the Donald hasn't said that.

and fwiw, at least 2 or 3 times last week I had to google something the president was alleged to have said.  The items seemed unlikely, but given the stuff that Donald's actually know to have said, I had to check.  And then it turned out one of the seemingly parodical quotes was in fact real.

so you never know

ridski said:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/analysis/2018/09/08/according-to-donald-trump-a-lot-of-people-are-crying-around-donald-trump.html

Exactly.

“He had tears running down his eyes.”

“With tears streaming down their strong stone faces.”

The difference in verbal development between even those two small samples isn’t subtle. The first: Just a simple declarative sentence, and one that gets the image all wrong, because tears don’t run down eyes. The second: A subordinate clause using alliteration and concrete adjectives to paint a picture. The satirist either was intentionally distinguishing her parody from perfect mimickry, or she couldn’t help herself from sounding literate.

I’m guessing the question is, does paying attention to distinctions like these matter, beyond bickering with drummerboy and ml1? I think so.

drummerboy said:

who's bickering?

All I’m saying is I had to google it to be sure Trump didn’t say it. That means I found it believable. Or at least not unbelievable. 

I sure as hell would not have bet cash money against it without using the google first. 

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

who's bickering?

All I’m saying is I had to google it to be sure Trump didn’t say it. That means I found it believable. Or at least not unbelievable. 

I sure as hell would not have bet cash money against it without using the google first. 

agreed. Like I said, the quote was pretty much a conglomeration of stuff he's said already. perfectly believable.

don't really understand (oops) the argument against that.

“perfectly believable.” “95% believable.”

One reason to push back against those concessions is that manipulators of social media are counting on us to surrender just like that. Social media, we know, is vulnerable to misinformation. Thankfully, misinformation is vulnerable, too — because it often contains a tell. Not that Mrs. Betty Bowers’ tweet was intended to deceive, but no matter, because it had some tells. A few weeks ago on MOL, basil unwittingly shared a fake Trump tweet that did appear to be created to deceive — but it, too, had tells.

No matter how sophisticated deep fakes and other social media deceptions become, there’s a chance that tells like these remain their vulnerability, simply because it’s hard to sound exactly like other people. (For instance, the fake Orwell quotes that get circulated are usually easy to spot because nobody who can write as sharply as Orwell would waste time mimicking him. The relative hackery of the forgeries is their tell.)

Every percentage of believability that you grant to inauthentic tweets or other posts are points in favor of the manipulators. Better, I think, to work harder at listening and reading closely enough to spot the tells and take responsibility for keeping believability as close to the zero end of the scale as possible.

Anyway, that’s one of the reasons.

not even sure who or what you're arguing against anymore. are you upset that some of us think that the fake tweet was actually a plausible one? If so, you certainly haven't made the case that it wasn't.

but I will say that I'm surprised that this has gotten you a lot more agitated than, let's say, the horrible political reporting of the New York Times, which is surely more harmful than something like Ms. Bowers' tweet.

DaveSchmidt said:

One reason to push back against those concessions is that manipulators of social media are counting on us to surrender just like that. Social media, we know, is vulnerable to misinformation. Thankfully, misinformation is vulnerable, too — because it often contains a tell. Not that Mrs. Betty Bowers’ tweet was intended to deceive, but no matter, because it had some tells. A few weeks ago on MOL, basil unwittingly shared a fake Trump tweet that did appear to be created to deceive — but it, too, had tells.

No matter how sophisticated deep fakes and other social media deceptions become, there’s a chance that tells like these remain their vulnerability, simply because it’s hard to sound exactly like other people. (For instance, the fake Orwell quotes that get circulated are usually easy to spot because nobody who can write as sharply as Orwell would waste time mimicking him. The relative hackery of the forgeries is their tell.)

Every percentage of believability that you grant to inauthentic tweets or other posts are points in favor of the manipulators. Better, I think, to work harder at listening and reading closely enough to spot the tells and take responsibility for keeping believability as close to the zero end of the scale as possible.

Anyway, that’s one of the reasons.

Why are you guys arguing about something he may have said? He said way worse things on video.

drummerboy said:

not even sure who or what you're arguing against anymore. are you upset that some of us think that the fake tweet was actually a plausible one? 

I wouldn’t say “upset” or “agitated.” I’d say, “One reason to push back.” Which I think I did say.

If you’re still not sure what the rest of my comment is arguing for or against, I can’t help you there. I made it as plain as I can make it.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

not even sure who or what you're arguing against anymore. are you upset that some of us think that the fake tweet was actually a plausible one? 

I wouldn’t say “upset” or “agitated.” I’d say, “One reason to push back.” Which I think I did say.

If you’re still not sure what the rest of my comment is arguing for or against, I can’t help you there. I made it as plain as I can make it.

I understand quite well what you're arguing for. I just don't understand how you got to this point. It seems kind of off-subject. i.e. Was there any post in this thread which led you to this place? Because I don't see it.

basil said:

Why are you guys arguing about something he may have said? He said way worse things on video.

In an age of disinformation, knowing what people didn’t say is important, too. With the fake tweet you shared a few weeks ago, you’ve already made that point.

drummerboy said:

Was there any post in this thread which led you to this place? Because I don't see it.

The not-by-Trump tweet that a couple of smart readers thought was believable enough to pass for Trump. Boy, do I have an Orwell quote they’ll love.

You do understand that "thought was believable enough" is not the same as "believing it was", right? My original post didn't even present it as an actual quote. This is why I don't get your lengthy reaction.

Meanwhile, Trump actually said this, practically a straight lift from Godfather 2.

"We are the people who dreamed a spectacular dream—it was called: Las Vegas, in the Nevada desert"

Which is more ridiculous, the fake quote or this one?

It’s so entertaining to watch trump’s bullcaca being dissected...

Wtf does it matter if he said some crap somebody else who’s one of his disciples says? It doesn’t smell any different does it ??

DaveSchmidt said:

basil said:

In an age of disinformation, knowing what people didn’t say is important, too. With the fake tweet you shared a few weeks ago, you’ve already made that point.

If I share a fake tweet or picture, and someone points that out to me, I will rectify it as fast as I can.

drummerboy said:

You do understand that "thought was believable enough" is not the same as "believing it was", right?

I do.

See? I knew we were bickering.

DaveSchmidt said:

One reason to push back against those concessions is that manipulators of social media are counting on us to surrender just like that. 

If I google a "quote" to see if it's true, I don't consider it "surrendering."  It's actually the opposite of surrendering.

But before I googled it, I did think it could have been true.  As I mentioned above, I googled one Trump quote that I was sure was fake, and it turned out to be true.  I don't think it's my fault that the president says so many ridiculous, untrue and outrageous things that none of us can be sure that he didn't actually say something.  It's Trump himself who has give fodder to the manipulators of social media.  That's our reality.

basil said:

If I share a fake tweet or picture, and someone points that out to me, I will rectify it as fast as I can.

The one you shared had so many tells it’s a wonder you didn’t deal it a hand and shove $500 into the pot. The idea is to not spread disinformation in the first place, to not sit back and wait for someone to cry foul.

Gee whiz, I leave for a day or two, and you all bicker amongst yourselves!

As I commented on this or perhaps another, I warned that photoshopping or altering comments, or attributing words incorrectly, is very dangerous. Just because we can all be wise guys on social media doesn’t make it OK.

Of course there may be some folks gifted to such a degree that they can spot a  “tell” in fake news. I think many more people  will accept  what they see and/or read without double-checking.
      That is why I like cartoons — make of it what you will.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

You do understand that "thought was believable enough" is not the same as "believing it was", right?

I do.

See? I knew we were bickering.

well, now we are.

mtierney said:

As I commented on this or perhaps another, I warned that photoshopping or altering comments, or attributing words incorrectly, is very dangerous. Just because we can all be wise guys on social media doesn’t make it OK.

if it's very dangerous, why haven't you once criticized Trump when he does it?

also, thanks for yet another witless cartoon.

lol. after recent signs of intelligence, the WSJ returns to it's old wackaloon self

Things that Trump actually says and proudly disseminates are bad enough without making things up.

For example, this tweet, which says it's all the black guy's fault that we can't have that nice flag displayed any more.

Not since Jefferson Davis has an American president delivered as stirring a tribute to White Supremacy.

drummerboy said:

lol. after recent signs of intelligence, the WSJ returns to it's old wackaloon self

It's silly to rant about obviously cartoonish "photoshops", which are really just like editorial cartoons.  Even the stupid ones which still use Nancy Pelosi's freezer as something we're supposed to be upset about.

Meanwhile, the actual President of the United States gives an actual Independence Day address in which he gives a cartoonish view of American history, to stir up his ignorant and resentful voting base.

""Together, we will fight for the American Dream, and we will defend, protect, and preserve American way of life, which began in 1492 when Columbus discovered America."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-2020-salute-america/

ya think he knows that Colombus never actually made it to the American mainland?

nohero said:

It's silly to rant about obviously cartoonish "photoshops", which are really just like editorial cartoons.  Even the stupid ones which still use Nancy Pelosi's freezer as something we're supposed to be upset about.

Meanwhile, the actual President of the United States gives an actual Independence Day address in which he gives a cartoonish view of American history, to stir up his ignorant and resentful voting base.

""Together, we will fight for the American Dream, and we will defend, protect, and preserve American way of life, which began in 1492 when Columbus discovered America."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-2020-salute-america/

I can usually tell a fake Trump statement from a real one because the real ones are usually too stupid to be believable -- like the one you just posted about Columbus. Few parodists are able to strip themselves of enough self-respect to write at the level of an actual Trump statement.

PVW said:

I can usually tell a fake Trump statement from a real one because the real ones are usually too stupid to be believable -- like the one you just posted about Columbus. Few parodists are able to strip themselves of enough self-respect to write at the level of an actual Trump statement.

I'm often googling presidential "quotes" because I don't want to be taken in by fakes, and it's become difficult to tell the difference from the real ones.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.