The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

The letter wasn't anonymous and it was dated July 30.

That goes a long way towards explaining why nobody thinks you read the letter.

Hmm. Due process.  Like conducting a thorough investigation of the allegations?

That would be due process, wouldn't it? After all, there is no ticking clock, is there?

mtierney said:

What ever happened to due process in this country? I am really concerned how accusation and conviction are conducted today —outside a courtroom and within a news cycle. 

in this case, it's not a criminal prosecution, so due process would be a full investigation by an independent investigator and a report of findings.  Which is what Dr. Ford and the Democrats want.  The GOP doesn't want due process, they just want to sweep this accusation away.

And if there's an investigation and a finding that the charges are baseless, I'll believe that Kavanaugh is innocent.  But right now, given his lack of credibility and the highly credible nature of the accusation, my opinion is that Dr. Ford is telling the complete truth. 

mtierney said:

The old white 75 year old “comedian” Joy Bahar today denigrated the actions of old white congressmen in Washington. Good grief!  Could anyone really care what these celebrities think or say?

It's as if people watch their television program and then comment about their Views.

mtierney said:

The old white 75 year old “comedian” Joy Bahar today denigrated the actions of old white congressmen in Washington. Good grief!  Could anyone really care what these celebrities think or say?

kind of humorous coming from someone who's always linking to articles from the always fatuous David Brooks, celebrity Op-Ed columnist.  For my money Joy Behar is typically 10 times more insightful on any issue than Mr. Brooks.  And fwiw, if you meet her, she's one of the nice celebrities. 

mtierney said:

What ever happened to due process in this country? I am really concerned how accusation and conviction are conducted today —outside a courtroom and within a news cycle. 

He is not a criminal defendant facing jail or even a fine.

He is an applicant for a job. It is the second highest job in our government, only the Presidency being higher and unlike the Presidency or Congress it is for life.

If you were hiring someone for a job and received negative information would you hire that person if his or her guilt were not established through "due process" or would you look for someone else?

It's frustrating to me that everything Kavanaugh has done that's in the public record suggests he's a horrible, horrible excuse for a human being.  And no one in a position of power is bluntly stating that obvious truth.  How did our politics get to the point that one of the parties nominates such a terrible person for the SCOTUS?  Our country is going to hell, and half the country is convinced it's because we have too many Spanish speaking immigrants.  The rest of us know that we're in trouble because greedy, cruel, dishonest people are taking over all the levers of power.

We can only hope that good people get out and vote and try to stop this slow-motion takeover of our country by these amoral people.

ml1 said:
How did our politics get to the point that one of the parties nominates such a terrible person for the SCOTUS? 

That Party nominated Donald Trump for President.

Is Kavanaugh worse than Trump?

tom said:
The letter wasn't anonymous and it was dated July 30.

That goes a long way towards explaining why nobody thinks you read the letter.

I read the redacted version the letter published a week or so ago. Presumably, only Sen Feinstein read the letter back in July. You are correct in assuming that I was not up on Washington happenings at the time.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

It's as if people watch their television program and then comment about their Views.

Unfortunately, it happens. I saw that clip regurgitated on cable news. Maybe I am a tad sensitive re old people dissing. smile  You think?

you have a point.  The "old" part of it was gratuitous.  The fact that they are white men is what's pertinent.

LOST said:

ml1 said:
How did our politics get to the point that one of the parties nominates such a terrible person for the SCOTUS? 

from all appearances, he's a better looking, more polite and articulate version of Trump.

jimmurphy said:
Hmm. Due process.  Like conducting a thorough investigation of the allegations?
That would be due process, wouldn't it? After all, there is no ticking clock, is there?

Due process requires allegations made long after the SOL expired to be investigated (seems to be your POV).  Does not sound like due process to me investigating allegations some 30 years after the alleged incident where no prior contemporaneous complaint was made.  

Apparently, the accuser cannot remember where the alleged incident happened or when it happened.  How would you investigate an accusation where you don't know where or when (and the accusation arises from more than 30 years ago)?

some of you misunderstood the point I tried to make -- badly it seems — was that of late people of all stripes, miscreants, politicians, favorite actors, writers, etc, are convicted by public opinion with whatever allegations are hurled at them. Simply the accusation of wrongdoing will effectively destroy a career over a weekend of frenzy and condemnation. 

Much is hearsay, yet the penalty is killing. The media becomes the investigator, judge, juror and executioner.

We are the witnesses in the arena.

No charges are filed, they aren't going to court. "Due process" is not required here. We all know that, right?

Had Kavenaugh already been caught lying and had the Republicans opened his files he might get the benefit of the doubt. But everything about him suggests obfuscation, and he was nominated by the Sexual Assaulter in Chief. 

mtierney said:
Simply the accusation of wrongdoing will effectively destroy a career over a weekend of frenzy and condemnation. 

Trump is on tape bragging about sexually assaulting women and he was elevated to POTUS. It's a feature, not a bug, to many of you on the right.

mtierney said:
some of you misunderstood the point I tried to make -- badly it seems — was that of late people of all stripes, miscreants, politicians, favorite actors, writers, etc, are convicted by public opinion with whatever allegations are hurled at them. Simply the accusation of wrongdoing will effectively destroy a career over a weekend of frenzy and condemnation. 
Much is hearsay, yet the penalty is killing. The media becomes the investigator, judge, juror and executioner.
We are the witnesses in the arena.

This is really not the case 99% of the time.  Who would you say has been unfairly accused and punished?  If anything, until recently many of the famous people who have committed sexual assaults haven't had to face any consequences at all.  And many of those who have faced consequences like Cosby, Weinstein, Moonves, and the Catholic Church to name a few, managed to dodge responsibility for a very, very long time.  Some, like Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump have never had to face up to any negative outcomes for the things they've done.  People being unfairly accused of assaulting women is a relatively rare event, while women actually being victims of assault is unfortunately very common.

My observation is that you are way too quick to dismiss credible allegations of sexual harassment or sexual assault.  Exactly why, I can't imagine.  

Exactly why? I can answer that one. Because she’s a partisan hack for the Rs and the Church.

ml1 said:

LOST said:

ml1 said:

from all appearances, he's a better looking, more polite and articulate version of Trump.

It is my understanding that he coaches teenage sports and does some charitable work.

Name one positive thing Donald Trump has ever done in his life. Is there even one example of a charitable contribution? 

Apparently there are some examples but they come with caveats.

LOST said:

ml1 said:

LOST said:

ml1 said:

It is my understanding that he coaches teenage sports and does some charitable work.
Name one positive thing Donald Trump has ever done in his life. Is there even one example of a charitable contribution? 

Apparently there are some examples but they come with caveats.

I suppose we're splitting hairs at this point.  Kavanaugh is smart, well-educated, sane and apparently religious.  In some ways I consider his type to be worse than a man like Trump, who appears to be a damaged person with a likely personality disorder.  

the unredacted letter...

one of the “perks” of retirement is being able to spend a day watching events such as today’s marathon in Washington. Riveting performances. Dr Ford won me over with her demand for caffeine at the opening of her testimony, and her testimony rang true. Where she lost me is when she began to speak with such professional, technical knowledge of how memories are stored, processed and recalled. She also had no answer as how, after she had left the house, she managed to get to her home, some 6-8 miles away. No recollection of getting into a car, taking public transit, etc. Dr Ford has stated she has a fear of flying, is claustrophobic, suffers from PTSD, yet she flies regularly for business and pleasure, traveling as far as the South Pacific to pursue diving. She excelled in school, earning two masters degrees and a doctorate! Her home in California (near Google ) demonstrates financial success.

Did something happen to her? I believe she recalls such an experience but I it was not with Kavanaugh. 

Remember the movie, Network? The I can’t take it anymore rant? I thought about it watching Kavanaugh, fired up and angry, respond to questions for some three hours. He was emotional when speaking of what he and his family have endured and really furious responding to the same questions asked over and over asked by the Democratic senators. There is nothing sinister about righteous indignation.

Winner today? Sen Graham for sure. Watch his speech this evening. An indictment of our political system.

Loser? Sen Feinstein for totally mishandling Dr Ford’s allegations from the get go, setting the stage for today’s farce and political embarrassment.

mtierney said:
one of the “perks” of retirement is being able to spend a day watching events such as today’s marathon in Washington. Riveting performances. Dr Ford won me over with her demand for caffeine at the opening of her testimony, and her testimony rang true. Where she lost me is when she began to speak with such professional, technical knowledge of how memories are stored, processed and recalled. She also had no answer as how, after she had left the house, she managed to get to her home, some 6-8 miles away. No recollection of getting into a car, taking public transit, etc. Dr Ford has stated she has a fear of flying, is claustrophobic, suffers from PTSD, yet she flies regularly for business and pleasure, traveling as far as the South Pacific to pursue diving. She excelled in school, earning two masters degrees and a doctorate! Her home in California (near Google ) demonstrates financial success.
Did something happen to her? I believe she recalls such an experience but I it was not with Kavanaugh. 
Remember the movie, Network? The I can’t take it anymore rant? I thought about it watching Kavanaugh, fired up and angry, respond to questions for some three hours. He was emotional when speaking of what he and his family have endured and really furious responding to the same questions asked over and over asked by the Democratic senators. There is nothing sinister about righteous indignation.
Winner today? Sen Graham for sure. Watch his speech this evening. An indictment of our political system.
Loser? Sen Feinstein for totally mishandling Dr Ford’s allegations from the get go, setting the stage for today’s farce and political embarrassment.

Delusional...Kavanaugh's BS answers, specifically his refusal to endorse a FBI investigation, not to mention his crocodile tears.

This is surely the end of our culture and polity.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

mtierney said:
blah delusions blah

Delusional...Kavanaugh's BS answers, specifically his refusal to endorse a FBI investigation, not to mention his crocodile tears.

Well, she did vote for Trump after all, so her reality is a bit skewed.

mtierney said:

Kavanaugh's demeanor was akin to a big sign around his neck that screamed "I'm Guilty!"  Two words came into my mind as I watched him barking out his opening statement -- rabid dog.  His performance yesterday should itself be disqualifying for a seat on the SCOTUS.  He was unhinged, combative, openly partisan, and worst of all deeply dishonest.  Some of his lies were so absurd that they insulted the intelligence of the audience.  "Devil's Triangle" is a drinking game?  Please.  Not the kind behavior that should be expected from a Supreme Court justice.  He confirmed for the entire world that he is a terrible, terrible human being.  The living, breathing embodiment of toxic elite white male privilege.

But I'm not surprised you come down on the side of defending someone who almost certainly was a sexual predator in his youth.  It's entirely consistent with you past comments on other rapists (as long as they are priests or conservative Republicans of course).

MaryJo and Cape Cod ring any bells? Senator Kennedy got away with murder and had a lifetime job for 50 years. I have to insert here that I was a JFK-Camelot Dem back in the day.

mtierney said:
MaryJo and Cape Cod ring any bells? Senator Kennedy got away with murder and had a lifetime job for 50 years. I have to insert here that I was a JFK-Camelot Dem back in the day.

Proving that 50 years on, rich frat boys can get away with crimes that would result in jail time for anybody else.

Didn't your mother ever teach you that two wrongs don't make a  right?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.