Welcome to Cooperman-ville

bub said:

The man may be a mixed bag but there's nothing mixed about 100 million bucks.  Take his money.  He'll die and pretty soon, like with all of these things, the name will simply be the name of the place and nobody will think of the benefactor.  

maybe someone else will come along and donate a billion bucks and replace his name. I’m sure we won’t see Bezos name on any medical center…

Why do so many super rich people think Obama is the second coming of Hitler? They would rather give the money to a building than give it to the greater good of the nation? It sure looks like that doesn’t it? What about the tax write off for these huge donations? I’m sure university hospital in Newark could use 100 million right about now. 


sbenois said:

The man is paying his taxes.  Go complain to everyone in Congress if you don't think he is paying his fair share.  

You seem to be pushing on the wrong end of the string.

please. he's part of the cohort that pulls the Congress's strings.

besides, my complaint is not about taxes. it's about his ego and his shoving his name in my face.

he's got more than 2 bil to give away. If 100 mil renames Barnabas, what's the other 2 bil gonna do?

Cooperman-ville might not be a joke.


No matter how you look at it...

-s.


yeah, maybe not if the hospital doesn't really need it.

Cooperman doesn't want his name on a hospital in Newark.

that's the problem with philanthropy. the rich often just get richer, if the donor's motives are just self-aggrandizement.


would you feel the same if Meryl Streep donated the same and called it Streep Barnabas?


jamie said:

would you feel the same if Meryl Streep donated the same and called it Streep Barnabas?

similarly, but not the same. a lot of it has to do with my antipathy towards Cooperman and the fact that his name is cropping up all over as a result of his giving. Obviously I have no antipathy towards Streep ( though I doubt she has 100 mil to toss around). But if she was just buying her name for selfish reasons, as I believe Cooperman did, I wouldn't look kindly on it.


drummerboy said:

jamie said:

would you feel the same if Meryl Streep donated the same and called it Streep Barnabas?

similarly, but not the same. a lot of it has to do with my antipathy towards Cooperman and the fact that his name is cropping up all over as a result of his giving. Obviously I have no antipathy towards Streep ( though I doubt she has 100 mil to toss around). But if she was just buying her name for selfish reasons, as I believe Cooperman did, I wouldn't look kindly on it.

perhaps Cooperman should spend his money helping protect synagogues from what we saw in Texas instead  of Helping saving lives in hospitals. But even if he did that I’m sure drummer boy would still have issue with him. 


I hope the dislike of people naming things after themselves doesn't apply to JamieSpace.


nohero said:

I hope the dislike of people naming things after themselves doesn't apply to JamieSpace.

if only Cooperman had a jingle. 


drummerboy said:

jamie said:

would you feel the same if Meryl Streep donated the same and called it Streep Barnabas?

similarly, but not the same. a lot of it has to do with my antipathy towards Cooperman and the fact that his name is cropping up all over as a result of his giving. Obviously I have no antipathy towards Streep ( though I doubt she has 100 mil to toss around). But if she was just buying her name for selfish reasons, as I believe Cooperman did, I wouldn't look kindly on it.

Where is his name cropping up all over other than the hospital and the JCC (where I think you play squash)?


ml1 said:

And here I was hoping we'd become Pottersville.

drummerboy said:

Cooperman-ville might not be a joke.

Now I get it.


cramer said:

drummerboy said:

jamie said:

would you feel the same if Meryl Streep donated the same and called it Streep Barnabas?

similarly, but not the same. a lot of it has to do with my antipathy towards Cooperman and the fact that his name is cropping up all over as a result of his giving. Obviously I have no antipathy towards Streep ( though I doubt she has 100 mil to toss around). But if she was just buying her name for selfish reasons, as I believe Cooperman did, I wouldn't look kindly on it.

Where is his name cropping up all over other than the hospital and the JCC (where I think you play squash)?

the other place I noticed recently is on Eisenhower Parkway. I think it's called the JSDD Cooperman Family Campus.

so 4 (that I know of) in one town = all over the place. 

for me  anyway.

(Cooperman Pavilion and the Barnabas rename counts as 2)


The JSDD Cooperman Family Campus is the new home of  the Jewish Service for the  Developmentally Disabled. The Cooperman's donated $2.5 million of the $10 million cost. I'm sorry that you're offended by the Cooperman name on the new facility. I'm glad that you enjoy the squash courts at the JCC in spite of it being named for the Coopermans. 

"JSDD’s history/mission began in 1984 with the formation of the Commission on Individuals with Developmental Disabilities. In 1989, the first kosher group home was purchased and renovated in Millburn, New Jersey. An additional eleven homes have been added including two supervised apartments.

JSDD's history includes developing the WAE Center

In October of 2004, JSDD opened the doors of The WAE (Wellness, Arts & Enrichment) Center, an alternative learning program providing opportunities for people with developmental and acquired disabilities to develop skills and cultivate self-esteem while tapping unknown talents and creating new possibilities for artistic pursuits, wellness endeavors and enrichment activities. Opportunities at the Center have all been developed embracing the belief that learning, creativity and spirituality are a lifelong journey which is different and unique for everyone."



cramer said:

The JSDD Cooperman Family Campus is the new home of  the Jewish Service for the  Developmentally Disabled. The Cooperman's donated $2.5 million of the $10 million cost. I'm sorry that you're offended by the Cooperman name on the new facility. I'm glad that you enjoy the squash courts at the JCC in spite of it being named for the Coopermans. 

"JSDD’s history/mission began in 1984 with the formation of the Commission on Individuals with Developmental Disabilities. In 1989, the first kosher group home was purchased and renovated in Millburn, New Jersey. An additional eleven homes have been added including two supervised apartments.

JSDD's history includes developing the WAE Center

In October of 2004, JSDD opened the doors of The WAE (Wellness, Arts & Enrichment) Center, an alternative learning program providing opportunities for people with developmental and acquired disabilities to develop skills and cultivate self-esteem while tapping unknown talents and creating new possibilities for artistic pursuits, wellness endeavors and enrichment activities. Opportunities at the Center have all been developed embracing the belief that learning, creativity and spirituality are a lifelong journey which is different and unique for everyone."

boy do you not get it.


drummerboy said:

cramer said:

The JSDD Cooperman Family Campus is the new home of  the Jewish Service for the  Developmentally Disabled. The Cooperman's donated $2.5 million of the $10 million cost. I'm sorry that you're offended by the Cooperman name on the new facility. I'm glad that you enjoy the squash courts at the JCC in spite of it being named for the Coopermans. 

"JSDD’s history/mission began in 1984 with the formation of the Commission on Individuals with Developmental Disabilities. In 1989, the first kosher group home was purchased and renovated in Millburn, New Jersey. An additional eleven homes have been added including two supervised apartments.

JSDD's history includes developing the WAE Center

In October of 2004, JSDD opened the doors of The WAE (Wellness, Arts & Enrichment) Center, an alternative learning program providing opportunities for people with developmental and acquired disabilities to develop skills and cultivate self-esteem while tapping unknown talents and creating new possibilities for artistic pursuits, wellness endeavors and enrichment activities. Opportunities at the Center have all been developed embracing the belief that learning, creativity and spirituality are a lifelong journey which is different and unique for everyone."

boy do you not get it.

What I get is that you're a hypocrite. You criticize Cooperman for having his name on the JCC, and yet you play squash there 


cramer said:

drummerboy said:

cramer said:

The JSDD Cooperman Family Campus is the new home of  the Jewish Service for the  Developmentally Disabled. The Cooperman's donated $2.5 million of the $10 million cost. I'm sorry that you're offended by the Cooperman name on the new facility. I'm glad that you enjoy the squash courts at the JCC in spite of it being named for the Coopermans. 

"JSDD’s history/mission began in 1984 with the formation of the Commission on Individuals with Developmental Disabilities. In 1989, the first kosher group home was purchased and renovated in Millburn, New Jersey. An additional eleven homes have been added including two supervised apartments.

JSDD's history includes developing the WAE Center

In October of 2004, JSDD opened the doors of The WAE (Wellness, Arts & Enrichment) Center, an alternative learning program providing opportunities for people with developmental and acquired disabilities to develop skills and cultivate self-esteem while tapping unknown talents and creating new possibilities for artistic pursuits, wellness endeavors and enrichment activities. Opportunities at the Center have all been developed embracing the belief that learning, creativity and spirituality are a lifelong journey which is different and unique for everyone."

boy do you not get it.

What I get is that you're a hypocrite. You criticize Cooperman for having his name on the JCC, and yet you play squash there 

first of all, that's a ridiculous definition of hypocrisy.

secondly, it's racquetball, not squash.

thirdly, I quit the JCC years ago, because even with all that Cooperman money, they couldn't manage to maintain the courts.

let me ask you this - how many Cooperman named places do there need to be before you say, hmm, maybe this is too much?


It doesn't bother me, because I don't have a fixation on Cooperman as you do. 


drummerboy said:

let me ask you this - how many Cooperman named places do there need to be before you say, hmm, maybe this is too much?

Do you think there are too many places to which he donated money? Or are the donations okay so long as his name isn't associated with them?


I think drummer boy is trying to make the point that, if someone wants to feed the homeless they shouldn’t drive around in a van with their name on it, handing out sandwiches in styrofoam containers with their name on the containers….and a camera crew documenting the event. Or something like that… I understand what he’s trying to say.


Jaytee said:

I think drummer boy is trying to make the point that, if someone wants to feed the homeless they shouldn’t drive around in a van with their name on it, handing out sandwiches in styrofoam containers with their name on the containers….and a camera crew documenting the event. Or something like that… I understand what he’s trying to say.

I understand what DB is trying to say but if the homeless get fed, so what if Cooperman's name is on the styrofoam cups?  Do you think the homeless care?  You may not approve of it but does it effect you?  

eta - To put in the context of the present discussion, do you really think that the patients at Cooperman Barnabas care that Cooperman's name is on it?  

Do you think that the people who use the JCC care that Cooperman's name is on it?

Do you think that the clients of the JSDD Cooperman Campus care that Cooperman's name is on it?  

Do you think that anybody other than DB cares?


cramer said:

Jaytee said:

I think drummer boy is trying to make the point that, if someone wants to feed the homeless they shouldn’t drive around in a van with their name on it, handing out sandwiches in styrofoam containers with their name on the containers….and a camera crew documenting the event. Or something like that… I understand what he’s trying to say.

I understand what DB is trying to say but if the homeless get fed, so what if Cooperman's name is on the styrofoam cups?  Do you think the homeless care?  You may not approve of it but does it effect you?  

eta - To put in the context of the present discussion, do you really think that the patients at Cooperman Barnabas care that Cooperman's name is on it?  

Do you think that the people who use the JCC care that Cooperman's name is on it?

Do you think that the clients of the JSDD Cooperman Campus care that Cooperman's name is on it?  

Do you think that anybody other than DB cares?

he’s mad that Cooperman didn’t upgrade the Racquetball courts at the JCC. 


cramer said:

Do you think that anybody other than DB cares?

So, having registered objections, let him care.


I don't care if someone's name is all over buildings if he/she donated money for their construction.  It's better than building a rocket so they can invitee talk show hosts to take a ride into the stratosphere.

The larger issue for me is that we live in a country where such philanthropy is necessary.  Instead of funding health care and education adequately from public sources, we end up relying on the kindness of strangers to make donations.  And as much as people complain about government waste fraud and abuse, there is at least theoretically some measure of accountability about what gets funded, and what the spending priorities are.

But by relying on philanthropy, priorities aren't set by consensus, but by fiat.  It's great that Cooperman is funding hospitals and schools.  But even then, the funding goes where he wants it to go, not necessarily where the need is greatest.

I'd prefer we live in a country where our taxes funded complete health care for everyone.  But we don't, so if we have to rely on donors, I can't complain if the donors' names end up on a newly-constructed hospital wing.


cramer said:

I understand what DB is trying to say but if the homeless get fed, so what if Cooperman's name is on the styrofoam cups?  Do you think the homeless care?  You may not approve of it but does it effect you?  

eta - To put in the context of the present discussion, do you really think that the patients at Cooperman Barnabas care that Cooperman's name is on it?  

Do you think that the people who use the JCC care that Cooperman's name is on it?

Do you think that the clients of the JSDD Cooperman Campus care that Cooperman's name is on it?  

Do you think that anybody other than DB cares?

I’m sure there are other people who care. It’s the same way some care about Trump’s name plastered all over buildings. Airplanes, university and golf courses. 
I don’t have a problem with any of that. But I can see why drummer boy is, he’s surrounded by it, because he lives and shops right there. I’m sure a lot more rich people donate to hospitals etc, but he doesn’t see their names. Plus the fact that cooperman is not liberal in his thinking…. That could be the trigger. It’s his personal opinion of the man.


If you read about Cooperman and his career, life story, and politics it's clear that he's not a nice guy.
Yes, he will give away billions but I'm guessing this is to make him feel better about all the bad stuff he's done in his life.  You don't become a billionaire hedge fund manager without screwing some people over along the way. 


While it's true that Cooperman is showing off by plastering his name all over the place, that egotistical display is tempered by all the good his charity is doing.  Certainly his attacks on Obama, and including Hitler in the same message was horrible, but on the other hand, he has pledged to give his entire fortune away before he dies.  Egotistical charity is worse than anonymous charity, but better than no charity.  People who need to call attention to themselves certainly have self-esteem issues for which they try to compensate, but that does not entirely negate the good things that they do.  I suspect even us posters show a bit of such traits sometimes ourselves.


yahooyahoo said:

If you read about Cooperman and his career, life story, and politics it's clear that he's not a nice guy.
Yes, he will give away billions but I'm guessing this is to make him feel better about all the bad stuff he's done in his life.  You don't become a billionaire hedge fund manager without screwing some people over along the way. 

I'm familiar with Cooperman's life story and as @STANV said, he was a bully in STANV's third grade ( I  think it's the same Cooperman since his age and where he's from are the same age as STANV and his birthplace, at least what he's alluded to.)  I just don't have a problem with his donations and naming places after him. Yes, he's trying to leave a legacy, but I don't have a problem with that. YMMD



Deleted. 


nohero said:

drummerboy said:

let me ask you this - how many Cooperman named places do there need to be before you say, hmm, maybe this is too much?

Do you think there are too many places to which he donated money? Or are the donations okay so long as his name isn't associated with them?

I have no problem with the donations. He said he's going to give away his money and that's fine.

I just find the egotism of plastering his name on them insufferable.


Jasmo said:

While it's true that Cooperman is showing off by plastering his name all over the place, that egotistical display is tempered by all the good his charity is doing.  Certainly his attacks on Obama, and including Hitler in the same message was horrible, but on the other hand, he has pledged to give his entire fortune away before he dies.  Egotistical charity is worse than anonymous charity, but better than no charity.  People who need to call attention to themselves certainly have self-esteem issues for which they try to compensate, but that does not entirely negate the good things that they do.  I suspect even us posters show a bit of such traits sometimes ourselves.

as is common with men (and it's always men) who make fortunes, they try to whitewash (or temper) their personal histories through philanthropy.

Someone mentioned Andrew Carnegie earlier and his wonderful philanthropy. Unfortunately, Mr. Carnegie was not a wonderful man, but that's never talked about.

Mission accomplished.


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.