Update on Highland Place?

If you have a mobile phone, and few don't, you can download app like SoundMeterHD.  I showed someone at a lunch meeting that the decibel rate of the music being played was that of Power Tools and they did turn down the volume.  They actually came over to check how they were doing on my app.   

dianaid said:
If you have a mobile phone, and few don't, you can download app like SoundMeterHD.  I showed someone at a lunch meeting that the decibel rate of the music being played was that of Power Tools and they did turn down the volume.  They actually came over to check how they were doing on my app.   

I wonder if that works on leaf blowers. 

I have to admit that a loud environment would keep me away. And that's coming from someone who likes loud music and has played in bands for decades. It's one thing to go to a club to hear rock and roll. It's a completely different thing when the point is sharing a meal with friends. 

That said, I can't wait to give Luna Stella a try. (But looking at my summer calendar, that might not be until September grin )

dianaid said:
 Total agreement, with the caveat that if you ask to go into the side room at Coda, and you can get a table, you can hear everyone.

Side room is better, but if there are other people in the side room and the place is packed, conversation is still difficult.

Klinker said:

dianaid said:

Thats a good question. Does it?

Fortunately, you must not have received these earplugs:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/military-veterans-claim-defective-3m-earplugs-caused-hearing-loss/

jimmurphy said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Addendum: The O.S.H.A. standard for exposure to harmful sound: If you have to raise your voice to carry on a conversation, the sound is at a level that will harm your hearing. 
Hearing protection is required for employees.
I was an artillery officer in the Army.  Managed to keep my hearing via ear-plugs. Would be pretty sad to lose it by dining at the local establishments without them.

it was LOUD. The food was good, the drinks were not so good. But the noise level was just about unbearable. Coda seemed nice and quiet in comparison when we went there afterward. 

mem said:
it was LOUD. The food was good, the drinks were not so good. But the noise level was just about unbearable. Coda seemed nice and quiet in comparison when we went there afterward. 

were did you sit?

Elle_Cee said:
This may change.  An app for evaluating restaurant noise has been invented:  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/01/yelp-for-noise

I downloaded the app, and got this reading last Tuesday night a little after 7:00.  We were in the main dining space, along a wall. Food was good (lobster risotto a little salty) but the 45+ minute wait between apps and main course was a bit much. I'm sure they will work out those sorts of kinks over time, and it's a nice addition to the village. Hope they work on lowering the volume....

finnegan said:
 I downloaded the app, and got this reading last Tuesday night a little after 7:00.  We were in the main dining space, along a wall. Food was good (lobster risotto a little salty) but the 45+ minute wait between apps and main course was a bit much. I'm sure they will work out those sorts of kinks over time, and it's a nice addition to the village. Hope they work on lowering the volume....

Holy cow. According to this site, that’s the sound level of a snow blower. 

https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

went to the bar the third night open. We sat towards the kitchen end of the bar, which was so brightly lit, and the noise so loud that I couldn’t relax the entire time sitting there. Not sure how they would fix the kitchen brightness, so not sure I would go back to the bar there. I had a desert that was ok, nothing special. That said, it would be great if they ironed out some of these issues and were a success, I will give it another try in a few weeks. 

dianaid said:

I wouldn’t put too much stock in them just yet.  A Canadian study of ten apps tested across IOS and Android phones revealed only one which came within about 3db of actual sound levels measured by industry standard technology.  A 2017 tech review showed variances from between -10db and +28db. 

That said, they just opened... two things should likely be seen over the coming months: first, some small measures to deaden sound where they can assuming complaints become frequent enough, and second that the majority of the crowd won’t care much. Coda has always been loud and remains crowded; Pickett’s is still young and took some measures to quiet the place a bit (banquettes) and still packed; same for The Cassidy (which does have a quieter space toward the train side); Summit House is deafening toward the bar area and always mobbed; every other place I’ve been and waited at in Montclair; etc etc.  

Yes, places are loud and crowded. But might 5% or even 10% of people choose not to patronize a place because of noise level. 

There are 7 of us M/So residents and we go out several time a year. Several venues are eliminated because of noise level. Of course, the same decision is made when we go out individually.

ctrzaska said:
I wouldn’t put too much stock in them just yet.  A Canadian study of ten apps tested across IOS and Android phones revealed only one which came within about 3db of actual sound levels measured by industry standard technology.  A 2017 tech review showed variances from between -10db and +28db. 

The apps may not be accurate. I sat through 30 hours of an O.S.H.A. certification course. As I stated above, the instructor said the audiometers are carried by the O.S.H.A. inspectors, followed by a fine. 

"If you need to raise your voice to be heard, you need to put "Hearing Protection Required" signage on your premises. Then you need to provide protection devices for your employees."

As I stated to our employees during the monthly safety meeting, hearing loss in a high decibel environment is gradual. It is not like getting a broken arm when you are immediately aware something is wrong.

Diminished hearing is forever. Once its gone, you don't get it back.

"It turns out these not-so-good vibrations might be on purpose. Studies show people drink more, eat faster and leave sooner when the bass is thumping, so restaurants are bringing the noise."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/30/noisy.restaurant.business/index.html

I think the soundpoint app is pretty accurate. Last night at the Wonder Bar, right in front of the band I got a reading of 105 dB. And this is the reading I got this morning at a coffee shop playing Sinatra in the background.  From a subjective point of view the readings were a good indication of my perception of the loudness. 

We call it Louda Yella now.

This quiet (even when it's packed), gracious local venue offers warm hospitality, gorgeous food, fine wine, & attentive service.

It's not only a family enterprise, it's a haven.

If you don't know its name, ask...

-s.

Not very happy right now. Tried to go to LunaStella with some family members early this evening. We got there around 5:30 and they said they weren't sitting people for 20 minutes because the kitchen was stressed and they wanted them to catch up. I didn't quite understand why we couldn't be seated and simply not order our meals, or just order drinks, but we waited. Then, the hostess showed us to a table adjacent to the bar, immediately behind a large group of about 8 or 9 people at the bar. Actually, some of the group were almost sitting on the table they showed us to. We explained that we really wanted to talk and that I have a slight hearing loss and would not be able to follow the conversation if seated in that location. There were a number of open tables for 4 away from the bar, against the long brick wall. The hostess said she couldn't seat us there because the kitchen was stressed. Again, I didn't see the rationale behind this. How did where we were sitting affect what was happening in the kitchen? We asked if that was the best they could do, and the hostess said yes, so we left and went to Basilico and had a lovely meal and perfectly audible conversation.  I had really wanted to like LunaStella, but I am not sure I am in any hurry to go back. The noise by the bar was very, very loud and they really didn't seem to care if we stayed or not.

eta: we had checked earlier in the day to see if we needed reservations and they said they weren't taking them, but that it should not be a problem around 5 or 5:30.

soda said:
This quiet (even when it's packed), gracious local venue offers warm hospitality, gorgeous food, fine wine, & attentive service.
-s.

This is one of our favorites. Delicious food, attentive service and you can actually have a conversation here!

soda said:
-s.

I can’t place it.  Where is it?

soda said:
-s.

I don’t recognize it. What is it?

I called Luna Stella on Friday for a reservation and they said they weren't taking reservations. When I showed up they said there was a one hour wait. I asked why they weren't taking reservations and the Hostess explained what I saw as a convoluted policy of taking reservations on certain nights but not others an reiterating that reservations were not taken on Fridays. I then asked about two empty tables and she told me that they were reserved!

Nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded...

-s.

Photos taken at two other places where you can usually hear yourself think & enjoy pretty decent-to-good food at breakfast, lunch, & dinner. Oddly, both are also on Springfield Ave.!

BTW: The Pete on the left in Photo #2 is a well-knows gastropod...

-s.

Klinker said:

Yes, if it is sound, it picks it up.  

ok, here's my quick review - I was there this past Thursday.  We sat in one of the tables in the bar area - it was a bit loud and the kitchen is a bit bright, not as comfy as HP was in that area.  In the main room, the brick wall looks great along with the barn doors.

As for the food - we started with one of the crostini specials -spaghetti squash with oven roasted tomatoes - very tasty.  3 pieces for $9.  A bit pricey for what you got.  Also, I would think that 4 pieces would make it easier to share.

Grilled Octopus appetizer - $15 - excellent - perfect price point.

Stella Mista salad - felt like it was mostly lettuce and dressing was underwhelming.  I would definitely try out one of the other ones next time.

The risotto special was asparagus with basil greens.  we had two orders - it was ok.  Not too much asparagus and we felt is was way overpriced for $28.  For that price, add a couple shrimp or scallops on top.

New York Strip steak was great and price was right - $29.  

agree regarding the mista salad- need more / better dressing 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.