The Uncaged Bird -Hummingbird feeder is up!

I'm posting this hard to see photo of a Piliated Woodpecker because it is the second time in a few years that I have seen one on my street. They are so high up and hidden that I have yet to get a decent shot so I'll post a professional shot next to it for comparison.

Morganna said:
I'm posting this hard to see photo of a Piliated Woodpecker because it is the second time in a few years that I have seen one on my street. They are so high up and hidden that I have yet to get a decent shot so I'll post a professional shot next to it for comparison.

Last year a pair of them did their courtship dance on the trunk of our large cedar tree.  It was amazing to watch.  Wish I could have filmed it.  

Sweetsnuggles said:
Morganna said: I'm posting this hard to see photo of a Piliated Woodpecker because it is the second time in a few years that I have seen one on my street. They are so high up and hidden that I have yet to get a decent shot so I'll post a professional shot next to it for comparison.
Last year a pair of them did their courtship dance on the trunk of our large cedar tree.  It was amazing to watch.  Wish I could have filmed it.  

Wow, I'm fascinated with them. I get 4 different types of Woodpeckers at my feeder. The Hairy, the Downy, the Red Bellied and the Flicker.

Edited to add the extra woodpecker.

Recent shot of Blue Jays at my feeder.

Morganna said:

Sweetsnuggles said:
Morganna said: I'm posting this hard to see photo of a Piliated Woodpecker because it is the second time in a few years that I have seen one on my street. They are so high up and hidden that I have yet to get a decent shot so I'll post a professional shot next to it for comparison.
  Wow, I'm fascinated with them. I get 3 different types of Woodpeckers at my feeder. The Hairy, the Downy, the Red Bellied and the Flicker.

The pair of Pileated woodpeckers was a rare treat!  Here’s a link to the type that visits us way too often and I’m afraid is destroying our trees: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-bellied_sapsucker

Here's another fun hummer website:  http://www.pennlive.com/wildab...

I love seeing all your pictures of birds.  I'm convinced the only birds down here are hawks and seagulls -- and the garden variety wrens.

mumstheword said:

I love seeing all your pictures of birds.  I'm convinced the only birds down here are hawks and seagulls -- and the garden variety wrens.

Thank you.

As for wrens, they will easily move into a bird house. I'm getting my houses ready. The male sets up a few locations and then sings his heart out. When the female decides to consider him, he shows her the available real estate, she picks her favorite, moves in and then tosses out most of his twigs and refurnishes according to her own taste. I took apart the house at the end of one summer and photographed it. I had watched them going back and forth building this nest, one twig at a time, maneuvering pieces through the small hole. Intrigued, I counted the pieces as I took the house apart to clean and hit about 500. That's a lot of flying back and forth.

Hummingbirds have been sighted in NJ!

Morganna said:

mumstheword said:

Thank you.
As for wrens, they will easily move into a bird house. I'm getting my houses ready. The male sets up a few locations and then sings his heart out. When the female decides to consider him, he shows her the available real estate, she picks her favorite, moves in and then tosses out most of his twigs and refurnishes according to her own taste. I took apart the house at the end of one summer and photographed it. I had watched them going back and forth building this nest, one twig at a time, maneuvering pieces through the small hole. Intrigued, I counted the pieces as I took the house apart to clean and hit about 500. That's a lot of flying back and forth.

I had 2 birdhouses in Maplewood and they were always used.  Here, I have about 8 birdhouses all around the house, including a couple of roosters -- and they remain empty.  At least they look nice!

mumstheword said:

Morganna said:

mumstheword said:

Thank you.
I had 2 birdhouses in Maplewood and they were always used.  Here, I have about 8 birdhouses all around the house, including a couple of roosters -- and they remain empty.  At least they look nice!

Did you once say that you were reluctant to put a feeder out? If so could that be part of the reason?

Morganna said:

mumstheword said:

Morganna said:

mumstheword said:

Thank you.
Did you once say that you were reluctant to put a feeder out? If so could that be part of the reason?

Yes, I'm hesitant to put feeders around the house, but this year I did put one out in the winter/spring hanging from the tree in my front yard.  I didn't have feeders up in Maplewood, because when I first moved there I did -- and my house was overrun with mice!  Stopped the feeders and the mice stopped.

I've been seeing some kind of bird flying fast across my bedroom window where 2 of the feeders are, but nothing so far stopping at the feeder.  I think I didn't see one last year until May 1st, so I guess mine have some time.

No hummingbirds yet but I have added 2 hanging plants which helped lure them last year.

As for the rest of the garden, has anyone seen these pretty cowbirds? Not a great shot but fun to spot. At first glance they may look like a typical blackbird but notice the coppery brown head in the sunlight.

It helps to have bird baths, however some critters prefer the luxury of large fountains for a nice soak even if one has to share it with guests who just want to stop by the pool bar for a drink.

I think my hummers will arrive around the same time as the soft shell crabs.  Win-win!  oh oh 

Seeing Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Cedar Waxwings today.

lynnl199 said:
Seeing Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Cedar Waxwings today.

Wow where are you located? That is exciting.

off of Prospect, near Underhill Field, in SO.

THEY'RE BAAAAACK!  Washing dishes this morning and this teeny weeny hummer came to visit one of the new feeders I put up.  Can't wait to see more!

lynnl199 said:
off of Prospect, near Underhill Field, in SO.

Wow, I've never spotted either one. Hope you can get a picture if you see them again.

mumstheword said:
THEY'RE BAAAAACK!  Washing dishes this morning and this teeny weeny hummer came to visit one of the new feeders I put up.  Can't wait to see more!

Great! Nothing sighted here. I just changed the sugar water after reading your post. I think next weekend is the date of last year's first hummer at my feeder.

Participate in Global Big Day! Join birders around the globe and count our feathered visitors.

https://ebird.org/news/global-...

the Grosbeak is still coming to our feeder, and the flock of cedar waxwings were still feasting on our holly berries. Most of the berries are now gone, so not sure if they will move elsewhere.

lynnl199 said:
the Grosbeak is still coming to our feeder, and the flock of cedar waxwings were still feasting on our holly berries. Most of the berries are now gone, so not sure if they will move elsewhere.

I had one at my feeder today! Check him out!

I can't believe this. I got 2 Baltimore Orioles, male and female! Wow.

Spotted my first hummer tonight, just as it started raining. He was near the feeder but it looked as if the rain drove him off. I'll be checking in the AM! I saw my first hummer on April 30, last year.

Morganna said:
Spotted my first hummer tonight, just as it started raining. He was near the feeder but it looked as if the rain drove him off. I'll be checking in the AM! I saw my first hummer on April 30, last year.

YAY!  One of mine has a wide red band around his neck -- which I never saw with hummers from past years.  Is that what's known as a ruby throated hummer?

mumstheword said:

Morganna said:

YAY!  One of mine has a wide red band around his neck -- which I never saw with hummers from past years.  Is that what's known as a ruby throated hummer?

Yes it is and it's the male! We only get the ruby throated hummingbird in our area. There is another bird perhaps Anna's hummingbird that showed up last year in PA.

I started my count for Global Big Day and my first bird of the morning was this big boy sipping on my newly planted red salvia.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.