The Uncaged Bird - Ready for Spring!

Picture from previous year just to add to the new title. That's my favorite feeder, The Humzinger.

Attaching 2 articles on the sugar water ratio and a few other facts. I'm trying the 1 to 3 mixture today but continuing to do research.

https://thegrownetwork.com/hummingbird-sugar-water-ratio/

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/birding-basics/sugar-water-101/

Morganna said:

Attaching 2 articles on the sugar water ratio and a few other facts. I'm trying the 1 to 3 mixture today but continuing to do research.

https://thegrownetwork.com/hummingbird-sugar-water-ratio/

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/birding-basics/sugar-water-101/

My ability to read this thread in chronological order is wonky…are hummingbirds really here already? Feeders out? This has been the best spring so far at my feeders. After a dirth of goldfinches, my feeders are covered with them! They seem to love the sunflower seed kernels (the ones with no shells). Never had luck with nyjer seed. So many woodpeckers too. Has everyone else had good luck so far this spring? 

birdwatcher said:

My ability to read this thread in chronological order is wonky…are hummingbirds really here already? Feeders out? This has been the best spring so far at my feeders. After a dirth of goldfinches, my feeders are covered with them! They seem to love the sunflower seed kernels (the ones with no shells). Never had luck with nyjer seed. So many woodpeckers too. Has everyone else had good luck so far this spring? 

Yes Hummingbirds have arrived in New Jersey. I will post as soon as I see one. You can check on the interactive map above to see which towns have been reported. Males with their ruby throats will arrive first some on their way further north some who will start preparing nests for the females.

Hmm, so nyjer seed not working. I thought it was just me. Well today I put echinacea seeds in peat pods after cold stratifying for a month in the fridge. My first time trying to start the flowers by seed, The flowers really attract Goldfinches. Problem is the Woodchucks like them as well and finished them off in the past. This year by attempting to grow them from seeds I won't get hurt financially if they get consumed by the furry critters. Smaller investment other than time. Here's old photos of them on the flowers.

Morganna said:

Yes Hummingbirds have arrived in New Jersey. I will post as soon as I see one. You can check on the interactive map above to see which towns have been reported. Males with their ruby throats will arrive first some on their way further north some who will start preparing nests for the females.

Hmm, so nyjer seed not working. I thought it was just me. Well today I put echinacea seeds in peat pods after cold stratifying for a month in the fridge. My first time trying to start the flowers by seed, The flowers really attract Goldfinches. Problem is the Woodchucks like them as well and finished them off in the past. This year by attempting to grow them from seeds I won't get hurt financially if they get consumed by the furry critters. Smaller investment other than time. Here's old photos of them on the flowers.

I have two big bags of the sunflower kernels. I buy it in bulk from Tractor Supply.  I would be happy to drop off some if you’d like to try it out. I think you are also in SO? My feeders are covered in goldfinches and I am happy to send some your way

Many goldfinches at our feeders here near Underhill Field as well. Also, had a brown thrasher as well for the first time.

Sadly, just read an article about the bird flu which is upon us. Will be removing our suet and feeders and our hummer feeder which we just put out recently.

birdwatcher said:

I have two big bags of the sunflower kernels. I buy it in bulk from Tractor Supply.  I would be happy to drop off some if you’d like to try it out. I think you are also in SO? My feeders are covered in goldfinches and I am happy to send some your way

This appears to be something different from last years thing.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/news/2022/04-19_avian_influenza.htm

Guidance for homeowners

As this virus does not typically affect songbirds, there is no change in the recommended feeding guidance.

What should I do if I find a sick or dead bird?

If you find a sick bird, contact either your local animal control or one of NJ’s permitted wildlife rehabilitators. Do not attempt to care for these animals on your own.

You can find a list permitted wildlife rehabilitators by county here.

For deceased birds, it is recommended that while wearing gloves and a mask (as this is a respiratory disease) you double bag the birds and dispose of them. NJ Fish and Wildlife is not currently testing birds for surveillance purposes as it has been established that wild birds are a natural reservoir of the virus (namely waterfowl), and it has already been identified in those populations in New Jersey.

For more information on detections of highly pathogenic avian influenza in wild birds visit the USDA APHIS website for updates.

If multiple birds are found dead in a small area over a short period of time, please contact either 1-877-WARNDEP or Dr. Nicole Lewis (nicole.lewis@dep.nj.gov) for assistance.

birdwatcher said:

Very cool! I'll message my address.

Happy to share some of my nyjer in case you want to try it.

PeterWick said:

Geez, this site has really really up-to-date reporting. 

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian/avian-influenza/hpai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks

I'm searching all kinds of sites. Here is a list of confirmed outbreaks. I does seem to be hitting the poultry factories hardest, I guess because of the intense confinement. Wild bird are mostly asymptomatic. 

The 24 states with bird flu outbreaks are Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Morganna said:

Very cool! I'll message my address.

Happy to share some of my nyjer in case you want to try it.

Perfect! Thank you! 

birdwatcher said:

Perfect! Thank you! 

Couldn't send message? Didn't recognize birdwatcher.

Want to try to message me?

15,000 birds flew over NJ last night. Check out this interactivr Migration Map.

https://birdcast.info/

This picture was taken on this day last year, my first Hummingbird of that season.. So, people get ready there's a Hummingbird a comin'. (with a nod to the Chambers Brothers.)

Morganna said:

Couldn't send message? Didn't recognize birdwatcher.

Want to try to message me?

Just messaged you. 

Taking down the feeders. Ooh, that was tough. I'm waiting until all the suet is all gone before those feeders go into a leave of absence. I'm keeping the hummingbird feeder out.

On the other hand, it is gratifying to see the cotton I've put out getting taken away for nesting. Kinda funny when a bird has a tuft that they can't quite carry so they have to land and pick it apart a little more.

It's a boy! Too fast for me to grab my camera but he was sitting at my feeder at about 5 PM. Hummingbirds will have to weather a few chilly nights and very little blooming. Hang in there little guy!

Saw my little Hummingbird in the Holly last night. Can't wait for Sunday's warm up.

Morganna said:

Saw my little Hummingbird in the Holly last night. Can't wait for Sunday's warm up.

Had a female hummingbird at my feeder just now! I was so excited! I happened to have my binoculars in my hand looking at a different bird. 

KarenMarlowe said:

Had a female hummingbird at my feeder just now! I was so excited! I happened to have my binoculars in my hand looking at a different bird. 

Wow early for a female! Do you have anything flowering that they drink? My Honeysuckle has unopened buds. I started trays of seeds inside and I'm anxious to start planting.

Morganna said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Wow early for a female! Do you have anything flowering that they drink? My Honeysuckle has unopened buds. I started trays of seeds inside and I'm anxious to start planting.

I am not sure if we do. We have a viburnum near the feeder. Not sure if it attracts them or not.  

Yay!!! I caught a glimpse of our first hummingbird! I've taken down all our other feeders for a while and it was getting lonely over here at Fallen Oaks Manor. 

I also planted a new Lonicera sempervirens, a Major Wheeler trumpet honeysuckle. From what I understand it isn't the invasive nightmare that Japanese honeysuckle can be. Is that right? Anyway, The rose of sharon tree in the middle of this one stretch of garden that was annoying as hell and kinda dying anyway was converted into a natural trellis. I clipped off most of the still living stuff and kept it standing. I planted the honeysuckle at its base and hope to train it to go up into it. Eh, it could happen. Hopefully it will attract lots of interesting visitors this summer.

Way back in my childhood I remember my mother telling me the old joke about how father bird was very late coming home from work one day. When he did finally arrive home, mother bird asked him why he was so late, to which he replied that it was such a nice day that he decided to walk!

Which is the long introduction to the Kagu bird, which lives on the tropical paradise of New Caledonia, where the weather is ... tropical.

And what distinguishes the Kagu bird from other birds? It walks and, in fact, can't fly.

(Yes, okay. Penguins, emus and ostriches don't fly, either, but why let the facts get in the way of a good story?)

PeterWick said:

Yay!!! I caught a glimpse of our first hummingbird! I've taken down all our other feeders for a while and it was getting lonely over here at Fallen Oaks Manor. 

I also planted a new Lonicera sempervirens, a Major Wheeler trumpet honeysuckle. From what I understand it isn't the invasive nightmare that Japanese honeysuckle can be. Is that right? Anyway, The rose of sharon tree in the middle of this one stretch of garden that was annoying as hell and kinda dying anyway was converted into a natural trellis. I clipped off most of the still living stuff and kept it standing. I planted the honeysuckle at its base and hope to train it to go up into it. Eh, it could happen. Hopefully it will attract lots of interesting visitors this summer.

Not sure which one this is but it is not invasive. I planted it to grow on an iron trellis and the deer nibbled the lower parts so it grew into a heavy crown. Not invasive like Trumpet vine which has bigger heavier flowers. 

I kept checking locally and didn't see any alarming warnings to remove feeders. Seems like the hardest hit are poultry but I assume the severe overcrowding and stressful confinement adds to the lethal spread.

I kept one feeder up which I'm monitoring and I have 3 bird baths and a fountain which I clean frequently. Even when I emptied the fountain it filled with water due to the rain. And I frequently get other critters who belly up to the bar.

I'm removing a couple of Rose of Sharon due to the fact that the deer eat most of the flowers and it takes over the world.

Okay, so this is new. First time in the 15 years we've been here. We have wondered why there is always a robin giving us her feedback when we come and go to our place.

Three babies to watch over this spring! However, it is right by the front door. And I mean RIGHT by the door. See that yellow dot in the boxwood? That's about 3 feet from the door and chest high.

PeterWick said:

Okay, so this is new. First time in the 15 years we've been here. We have wondered why there is always a robin giving us her feedback when we come and go to our place.

Three babies to watch over this spring! However, it is right by the front door. And I mean RIGHT by the door. See that yellow dot in the boxwood? That's about 3 feet from the door and chest high.

Time to use the back door!

I saw 2 blue egg shells on the ground this past week. Somebody hatched somewhere but I don't see a nest. Last year I had a nest outside of my art studio window. It was heavenly and the first time I got to see the fledglings take their first flight.

The boxwood should be very well protected but hard to get photos. Maybe a nest cam?

Not sure how to set that up but maybe. Yeah, the backdoor is going to be our main entrance for a while but the mail and packages get delivered there. Directing them around the back isn't going to be an option.

Researchers are recording the progress of some thirty-thousand pelicans which have set up camp in central western New South Wales. It has been described as one of the largest breeding events recorded in Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-08/pelicans-lake-brewster-breeding-season/101033032

PeterWick said:

Not sure how to set that up but maybe. Yeah, the backdoor is going to be our main entrance for a while but the mail and packages get delivered there. Directing them around the back isn't going to be an option.

One daring Robin tried this at my home. A tiny iron decorative terrace outside the 2nd story window. I've also had them build nests in hanging plants. They like to live on the edge or the ledge.

I have some Canterbury Bells that I started from seed if anyone would like some for their garden. They are sprouted with a few sets of leaves, in biodegradable plugs. They need sun, protection from deer is best, they'll grow fairly large this year and bloom next year. They're biennials so a 2year life span. I've been tucking them in corners hiding them from the deer. They'll have a chance for a while as a doe just gave birth and she should keep the crowds away for the summer. Once the fawn is big enough to investigate it's every plant for itself.

@KarenMarlowe I still have Irises that came from your garden a few years ago.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!