The Uncaged Bird -Hummingbird feeder is up!

A friend who’s a docent at the arboretum tells me when first installed, that bird had blue blooms on its head as an homage to the blue-capped hummingbird, which is endangered. I now want my own succulent sculpture. Blue or not!

Off at a slight tangent ... it seems that 300 billion birds call this planet home (not that there are birds as we know them anywhere else, of course)!

An interesting article from earlier this year - 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-05-26/50-billion-wild-birds-across-the-world-new-study-finds/100161900

There is behaviour that's in the genes - inherited from your parents who inherited it from their parents who, in turn etc ..

And then there's behaviour learned from watching others, as researchers have discovered sulphur-crested cockatoos doing.  The birds have learned how to flip open the lids of household wheelie bins when they're put out for rubbish collection.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-07-23/cockatoos-open-wheelie-bin-lid-social-learning-suburbs/100306786

marksierra said:

There is behaviour that's in the genes - inherited from your parents who inherited it from their parents who, in turn etc ..

And then there's behaviour learned from watching others, as researchers have discovered sulphur-crested cockatoos doing.  The birds have learned how to flip open the lids of household wheelie bins when they're put out for rubbish collection.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-07-23/cockatoos-open-wheelie-bin-lid-social-learning-suburbs/100306786

Love those birds!

I'm seeing so much Hummingbird activity this year. There must be quite a few. Too much to be coming from just one bird.

Yes! Ms. bikefixed managed to get a photo of one at our feeder. I sure wish I had more beebalm. It likes to visit them, too.

Your lilies sure look healthy too - wish I could grow them. Just manage to get a few weak shoots and a sickly bud then nothing. Sigh. cheese

joanne said:

Your lilies sure look healthy too - wish I could grow them. Just manage to get a few weak shoots and a sickly bud then nothing. Sigh.
cheese

I grew those as quickly as the deer could eat them.

Morganna said:

I grew those as quickly as the deer could eat them.

The deer miss those because they're actually hidden behind a big grass, right up next to the deck. I occasionally have them survive deer and groundhogs elsewhere but those always thrive. Not that I should have ever said that...

bikefixed said:

The deer miss those because they're actually hidden behind a big grass, right up next to the deck. I occasionally have them survive deer and groundhogs elsewhere but those always thrive. Not that I should have ever said that...

A Woodchuck has been comfortably close to the back door. To borrow a description from Woody Allen, he was "the size of a Buick."  In Annie Hall he was, however describing a lobster.

I've watched Hummingbirds chasing each other. Busiest summer yet.

Stunning pic. Truly, I’m in awe of the pics in this thread, and JerseyJack’s. (I’m not quick enough, and shake too much)

Morganna said:

I've watched Hummingbirds chasing each other. Busiest summer yet.

great shot!

joanne said:

Stunning pic. Truly, I’m in awe of the pics in this thread, and JerseyJack’s. (I’m not quick enough, and shake too much)

I have the Honeysuckle and feeder outside my kitchen window. I keep my camera handy. When it's very sunny you can increase the shutter speed. My shakiness occurs when I have to mix a vaccine for a kitten. Aiming a long needle into tiny bottles held upside down. Now that's a challenge.

I've had a family of young magpies visiting me over the past few days.

They're serenading me and waiting for me to come out with a few tasty morsels for their morning tea...

I had no idea the geese flew so far!! Canadian geese creating trouble in New Zealand:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/07/the-rabbit-of-the-sky-flocks-of-canada-geese-plague-new-zealand-countryside 

ETA: Ah! I see they’re not migratory, but introduced a century ago, for hunting. 

marksierra said:

I've had a family of young magpies visiting me over the past few days.

They're serenading me and waiting for me to come out with a few tasty morsels for their morning tea...

Good looking crew! 

Back a few years ago, when we lived a street away from here, we had a powerful owl that nested in the big tree on our nature strip (the grassy part of the pavement). I must remember to see if there are any around us here cheese They’re so majestic and breathtaking in flight.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-08-08/powerful-owl-chicks-emerge-from-the-nest/100334196

Mostly seeing females but I spotted the tiniest male today. That Honeysuckle was the best birder investment.

Morganna said:

Mostly seeing females but I spotted the tiniest male today. That Honeysuckle was the best birder investment.

What beautiful photos! 

birdwatcher said:

What beautiful photos! 

Thank you!

What species of honeysuckle?

I have to say... I do think the bird illness is still around. I feed unsalted roasted peanuts in the shell (they're very cheap at Shop Rite) by just throwing them onto my deck and in the driveway. There is a family of blue jays that just looks drab and shabby, even the males. I just have the hummingbird feeder out and a hanging metal suet feeder to keep the crowds down but I'm wondering if I should even cut that out for a couple months.

PeterWick said:

I have to say... I do think the bird illness is still around. I feed unsalted roasted peanuts in the shell (they're very cheap at Shop Rite) by just throwing them onto my deck and in the driveway. There is a family of blue jays that just looks drab and shabby, even the males. I just have the hummingbird feeder out and a hanging metal suet feeder to keep the crowds down but I'm wondering if I should even cut that out for a couple months.

I removed the main feeder but more because I rescued a feral from Newark. My friend put out an alert that people were trying to hit her with cars as she lived in a parking lot and the building manager forbade the feeder to give her any more food. But she is young and the first hunter I have ever cared for. So I took a few precautions. Putting large rocks under shrubs or plants that she could hide under and took the feeder down to discourage unwary squirrels and chipmunks. An eartipped male showed up but he is chubby and only interested in 4 squares a day with long naps in the garden. 

I'll probably hand the feeder again in late fall.

As for the Honeysuckle I'm not sure. I bought it at Metropolitan plants several years ago. Here's a shot of it. The deer nibble the base so it is a heavy crown at the top of the arbor.

This year's birdbath visitors have not been as well attended from the usual mix of visitors and regulars. At first we thought it was because we weren't quick enough to get a replacement out. But then I concluded it was a combination of the wetter weather and mystery bird disease. The past few days there has been a huge increase in the volume and variety of guests... many too small to identify, flocks of younger ones like robins. It seems early for migrations. What else could it be?

krnl said:

This year's birdbath visitors have not been as well attended from the usual mix of visitors and regulars. At first we thought it was because we weren't quick enough to get a replacement out. But then I concluded it was a combination of the wetter weather and mystery bird disease. The past few days there has been a huge increase in the volume and variety of guests... many too small to identify, flocks of younger ones like robins. It seems early for migrations. What else could it be?

Been quiet at my bird bath too but I slowly removed the feeders about a month ago so I thought that might have been the issue. 

A friend gave me several suet cages. Does anyone want any?

well back to the birds

hummingbird heaven in cape may 

my daughter just took the second photo  she has a better camera 

oots said:

well back to the birds

hummingbird heaven in cape may 

my daughter just took the second photo  she has a better camera 

Wow! Great shots.

This is my first year putting out a hummingbird feeder. When do the generally stay until before they migrate south? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!