The Uncaged Bird

I finally found a very old pair of specs that help me see clearly enough to appreciate this thread!! Woohoo!! (Cataract surgery last week; we went for distance vision, leaving me with useless near vision until I get new reading glasses well after the next surgery)

Those pix, as usual, are wonderful.  question


joanne said:

I finally found a very old pair of specs that help me see clearly enough to appreciate this thread!! Woohoo!! (Cataract surgery last week; we went for distance vision, leaving me with useless near vision until I get new reading glasses well after the next surgery)

Those pix, as usual, are wonderful. 
question

 Congratulations! 


You really can’t see very much of this practical joker, but I tried! 
At lunchtime yesterday, an enormous currawong that usually hangs out in our front yard decided to raid the hanging-basket seed blocks over our back. And of course, every time he saw me rhrough the window, he’d flit to the other block!

Here, you can just make out the tip of his tail. His body is about the same size as that small watering can hanging in front of the post. All up, he’s got to be almost a yard (3’) long, beak to tail. He has a pointy beak, and is dappled in sharp black and white patches, quite stark and startling. Has most wonderful and musical calls. 
I’ve added a stock pic from the internet

Was going to add a track of song, but this site gives several choices that covers a nice range. Currawong are also bird mimics, so we get lovely clear magpie morning calls from this chap and his friends, adding their own twist to the call.

https://wildambience.com/wildlife-sounds/pied-currawong/


Cool bird! On a different note, Vic's Aussie friend got quarantined before she could go to her house as she was coming from NYC. She's stuck at a hotel and finally got internet access.


Slow season for Hummingbirds. I' rarely seeing any. As well, my busy Wren, built a nest in the Wren house, sang a few days but didn't attract a mate to this site. I haven't given up hope but as they build in a few locations, he may be setting up household elsewhere. I'm miffed. 

But my yard is filled with a variety of fledglings. Robins, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves and I'm pretty sure some of these Red Finches might be youngsters.


Morganna said:

Cool bird! On a different note, Vic's Aussie friend got quarantined before she could go to her house as she was coming from NYC. She's stuck at a hotel and finally got internet access.

 Is she in NSW now? Or still in the US? There’ve been some serious muck ups with the quarantine hotels earlier on, some clusters forming around staff and travellers. But I think new protocols mean people feel a little safer even they are bored. 


Truly exciting research for bird lovers!

They’ve decoded magpie calls, and can now distinguish males from females, apparently researchers have learnt that females know when other magpies are ‘lying’!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/queensland-magpie-song-study-research/12389422


joanne said:

 Is she in NSW now? Or still in the US? There’ve been some serious muck ups with the quarantine hotels earlier on, some clusters forming around staff and travellers. But I think new protocols mean people feel a little safer even they are bored. 

 She arrived in Australia and was put in quarantine. She is from Australia and owns a home there as well as a place here in NYC.


Well, at least your friend can joke about not being in Melbourne, where 30 neighbourhoods have been completely locked down (reinforced with defence force personnel assisting health care workers) due to rapid rise in cases. (Sydney loves to feel superior to Melbourne)

Back to birds: have I posted this link to the outback miracle? Vision is a little fuzzy this morning (might be a migraine prodome) so hard to check. Sandpipers fly in from Siberia when this lake refills; how do they know??

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-01/peery-lake-and-paroo-river-wetlands-fill/12387172


joanne said:


 Sandpipers fly in from Siberia when this lake refills; how do they know??

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-01/peery-lake-and-paroo-river-wetlands-fill/12387172

 Travel agents?


Northern Mockingbird keeping an eye on things.


PeggyC wrote to me, and I have to share:

“We have a pair of barn swallows nesting over the main door to the house. They are so beautiful, and the nest is an engineering marvel of sticks, leaves, and mud. They stick the nest to an existing building. Why they would choose our entryway is a mystery, but I love watching them from a “blind” in our bathroom,


joanne said:

PeggyC wrote to me, and I have to share:

“We have a pair of barn swallows nesting over the main door to the house. They are so beautiful, and the nest is an engineering marvel of sticks, leaves, and mud. They stick the nest to an existing building. Why they would choose our entryway is a mystery, but I love watching them from a “blind” in our bathroom,

 Welcome PeggyC to post a few pictures here! Haven't seen her on MOL for a long time.


I keep asking her to, her pottery studio is keeping her busy. 


Not sure if this Mourning Dove is bathing or setting sail.


Posing artfully for a still life smile



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.