The Uncaged Bird -Hummingbird feeder is up!

Hungry babies waiting for her return.

Excellent spotting!

Swan update: the cob has been on his own now, for well over a week. He barely even stops by for breakfast seed but he does stop by randomly throughout the day (and evening) to noisily demand manly chats with D. Rather sweet in a way. 
We weren’t sure what was all this meant, not seeing others for so long. Yesterday D walked around the complex and noticed the pen and cob building a new nest in another patch of waterlilies and sand bank around the quiet corner at the front of our street. I’m not sure she’s the same pen, but D said yes. And no cygnets around. 
it’s quite cool, temps in the low 70s F during the day and getting cooler, much cooler at night. That new nest should get more sunlight but still...gonna be a lot of work if they have eggs soon. 

Morganna - Do the robins ever use the nest again after the babies have left the nest? I have a robin's nest attached to my porch which seems empty now.

Oh wow! Eastern curlew flies almost 5000 miles, from Brisbane to Shanghai in ten days

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-06/eastern-curlew-flight-toondah-harbour-cleveland-qld/12322856 

galileo said:

Morganna - Do the robins ever use the nest again after the babies have left the nest? I have a robin's nest attached to my porch which seems empty now.

I've read that they do. I did remove a large nest from the fake balcony in front of my window as I found 2 eggs gone and one had fallen to the ground sadly almost hatched. I had thought of trying to find a safer place for it. This was something I saw:

Reusing nests Sometimes the nests are reused. One nest was built on top of a old robin's nest that was constructed three years ago. So, if you find an old bird nest it's a good idea to leave it alone. One creative robin used parts of an old nest for building a sturdy nest under the eave of a house.

I'll do a little research to see if it's worth moving an old nest.. I'll photograph it as it's quite a nice piece of construction.

Turtle update: so we’ve all got an emailed note from our complex managers, notifying us to be very aware that turtles of all sizes are on the move, all over the place!  grin They’re walking over our gardens, across our streets and laneways, peaking into our storage areas (if they can fit in), finding convenient spots perhaps in garden beds or near driveways or garden furniture trying to find a safe place for their eggs. That’s pretty exciting!

joanne said:

Turtle update: so we’ve all got an emailed note from our complex managers, notifying us to be very aware that turtles of all sizes are on the move, all over the place! 
grin
They’re walking over our gardens, across our streets and laneways, peaking into our storage areas (if they can fit in), finding convenient spots perhaps in garden beds or near driveways or garden furniture trying to find a safe place for their eggs. That’s pretty exciting!

Ooo, please get some pictures!

Thanks,Morganna. Will have to get a ladder and peak in. Think I will need to take it down as it's attached to my gutter and shingles.

So the baby robins are looking more like birds. I'm seeing activity that looks like they are preening. Saw the stretching of a wing but its tough to get a picture through a double window and through all of the leaves. If I go outside in the driveway, I'll startle them. I read that both parents feed them and I finally caught both the male and the female as they changed shifts. Trying to get a decent photo.

A few times I thought there were 3 beaks. Today I'm certain there are 3 babies and they are moving around, preening and stretching. Looks like one maybe the biggest is standing. I see wings and what looks like feathers. This morning I saw one adult chase another away. Going to try for more pictures. This is from yesterday, but very backlit.

Well, here's something you don't see every day.  Kudos to my eagle-eyed (no pun intended) daughter for spotting this red-tailed hawk who was hunting in the woods behind our house.  Lots of smaller birds including at least one brazen blue jay kept pestering it.  I was trying to get a little closer for a better picture but it flew off.

mrincredible said:

Well, here's something you don't see every day.  Kudos to my eagle-eyed (no pun intended) daughter for spotting this red-tailed hawk who was hunting in the woods behind our house.  Lots of smaller birds including at least one brazen blue jay kept pestering it.  I was trying to get a little closer for a better picture but it flew off.

Gorgeous Red Tailed Hawk.  I see them flying overhead at times and keep an eye on my feeder. I'm fortunate that it hangs on one of my several huge Holly trees.  They draw many birds because of their density. Only once did I see a smaller raptor, perhaps a falcon, fly in and grab a small bird. Applause for your daughter!

At long last, I finally got to see fledgelings leave the nest!  All of these years I have had wren houses and starling houses but never saw the day of their first flight. Yesterday because of the nest being opposite my art studio's window, I have plenty of time to watch the nest. It's in a tree like shrub, a Burning Bush, perfect for the first swoop to the ground. In seconds I couldn't see the little guy among the flowers so I grabbed my camera and went outside. He must have flown up to a small tree at the end of the driveway. One of the parents was in the street shouting instructions. I didn't hang around so as not to add to her stress. I snapped a couple of shots of him and of the two other siblings still in the nest about 20' away. Later I saw him or one of the others landing back in the nest. I see standing, flapping of wings and sitting on close branches. I think one has not tried to fly, maybe two. Mom held the food higher for that one to stretch up to get it as opposed to that scary looking process early on, when she puts her entire beak down their throats. I'll post pics later, so that people get a chance to see the beautiful Red Tail.

First picture is the brave fledgeling who left the nest and is seen in nearby tree. Second picture are the two siblings in the nest. I watched one of the nesters, yesterday evening and the breast is rust colored with black splotches. Not sure anyone is in there this morning. But as the circle of life continues I had a Birthday morning surprise over coffee on the patio, a male Wren has decided to start building in the Wren House, which has been empty this season and ignored last season in favor of a tiny house in the yard which was less safe. This year I did not offer a tiny house, they are cute but not as safe.

Happy birthday, Morganna!  question

(I deleted the birthday pic, because I want your pretty bird to stay on the contents page)

joanne said:

Happy birthday, Morganna! 
question

(I deleted the birthday pic, because I want your pretty bird to stay on the contents page)

Thank you for the birthday wish.!

My Birthday surprise, my new prospective Wren tenant. He's building away, singing choruses in between and I will be anxiously awaiting the perfect sweetheart for him and hope that she picks this house. Males set up a few nests for the female to chose from. I didn't get a male this Spring, so I"m happy that this boy decided on my yard for the Summer.  Here's a few pictures of his first day's efforts. 

I went to pull out the leaf blower when I heard chirping noises coming from it.  Thankfully I investigated before touching it, as a tiny brown bird, possibly a wren (I’m not a birding expert, but I can say with certainty that it is not a sparrow) had built a nest inside the the battery compartment.  Guess we won’t be using the leaf blower for awhile.  I just hope they don’t poop on any of the circuits 

spontaneous said:

I went to pull out the leaf blower when I heard chirping noises coming from it.  Thankfully I investigated before touching it, as a tiny brown bird, possibly a wren (I’m not a birding expert, but I can say with certainty that it is not a sparrow) had built a nest inside the the battery compartment.  Guess we won’t be using the leaf blower for awhile.  I just hope they don’t poop on any of the circuits 

Awww, Fear not, bird mom's are fastidious housekeepers and "diaper" changers. Wren's carry spider eggs which come in small white sacs, to their nests. When the spider's first hatch they eat any mites that could bite the baby wrens. Then, the abandoned white sacs are used to wrap any bird droppings and neatly carried away from the nest. 

How's that for recycling!

Robins immediately after feeding a baby, wait for the little bird to shake it's tail feathers, and they dropping is grabbed by mom or dad and carried away. I actually saw it done with this last Robin family outside my window.

Morganna said:

They pretty much like everything. I put up a nesting box for Woodpeckers but the hole size turned out to be perfect for Starlings so I had a family for the summer. Other birds will get their fill but they are pushy. Then again I have many Blue Jays who also get domineering.

I love putting up suet cakes for the Woodpeckers. 

The only seed they may not like is Nyjer which is mainly a treat for finches. You could give it a try. I'm betting the Starlings have a nest nearby.

What birds do you usually have? And what kind of feeder? Some of the small feeders may make it more difficult for the big guys.

In addition to starlings, we typically have sparrows, cardinals, blue jays, cat birds, robins and an occasional woodpecker--the usual suspects.  I have two hummingbird feeders (although I haven't seen any hummingbirds) and a few suet cakes.  I haven't put out an actual bird feeder, as I've heard they attract rats.  Do you have any suggestions?

Beth2 said:

In addition to starlings, we typically have sparrows, cardinals, blue jays, cat birds, robins and an occasional woodpecker--the usual suspects.  I have two hummingbird feeders (although I haven't seen any hummingbirds) and a few suet cakes.  I haven't put out an actual bird feeder, as I've heard they attract rats.  Do you have any suggestions?

My Hummingbird feeder has had a long lull. After the first week or so , I saw no one. Maybe I was seeing migratory males heading up to Canada. But 2 days ago I saw a tiny Hummingbird fly to my Honeysuckle. He seemed to ignore the feeder. I'm hoping this trellis full of delicious red flowers will attract more visitors. I'm changing the sugar water every 3 days. The Humzinger doesn't get as moldy and the long glass one did.

As for rats, I have not had a problem. I do have very happy Chipmunks. Do you have Mourning Doves? They are like mini vacuums for spilled seeds. Most birds that you have listed will pick up seed from the ground. I don't fill the entire feeder. I put out a small amount, you'll get a sense of how much your crew will finish. Of course I have another group of helpers.

Morganna said:

My Hummingbird feeder has had a long lull. After the first week or so , I saw no one. Maybe I was seeing migratory males heading up to Canada. But 2 days ago I saw a tiny Hummingbird fly to my Honeysuckle. He seemed to ignore the feeder. I'm hoping this trellis full of delicious red flowers will attract more visitors. I'm changing the sugar water every 3 days. The Humzinger doesn't get as moldy and the long glass one did.

As for rats, I have not had a problem. I do have very happy Chipmunks. Do you have Mourning Doves? They are like mini vacuums for spilled seeds. Most birds that you have listed will pick up seed from the ground. I don't fill the entire feeder. I put out a small amount, you'll get a sense of how much your crew will finish. Of course I have another group of helpers.

Great advice.  It's good to know that those birds and other, adorable helpers will eat the seed from the ground before unwanted helpers (rats, etc.) arrive.  I haven't seen rats yet, but my late aunt had a designated bird sanctuary in her back yard, and the amount of bird seed she used attracted rats.  Although she lived on the west coast in a very different climate, I still worry.

Beth2 said:

Great advice.  It's good to know that those birds and other, adorable helpers will eat the seed from the ground before unwanted helpers (rats, etc.) arrive.  I haven't seen rats yet, but my late aunt had a designated bird sanctuary in her back yard, and the amount of bird seed she used attracted rats.  Although she lived on the west coast in a very different climate, I still worry.

I had quite a mess of shells under the feeders, so I switched to the ones already shelled.  That may help too. Happy Birding!

Oh and if you have room in your yard, you may want to treat yourself and the winged beasties to a bird bath. It brings a host of travellers for a drink or a dip. As well you can attract goldfinches with Coneflowers, Hummingbirds with Honeysuckle, Petunias, and Columbine, and Robbins are drawn to Holly Berries and Wild Strawberries. And for the easiest shrub to attract Butterflies, I love Butterfly bushes. They can surprise you with the magical tiny Hummingbird Moths as well.

Morganna said:

I had quite a mess of shells under the feeders, so I switched to the ones already shelled.  That may help too. Happy Birding!

Oh and if you have room in your yard, you may want to treat yourself and the winged beasties to a bird bath. It brings a host of travellers for a drink or a dip. As well you can attract goldfinches with Coneflowers, Hummingbirds with Honeysuckle, Petunias, and Columbine, and Robbins are drawn to Holly Berries and Wild Strawberries. And for the easiest shrub to attract Butterflies, I love Butterfly bushes. They can surprise you with the magical tiny Hummingbird Moths as well.

I have only used black sunflower seeds in their shells- a complete hit with the birds. But you’re right, the dropped shells are a bit of a mess. Do you have as much success with the unshelled variety? Also- need to buy a few feeders. Have you had more success with a particular type? I’m thinking of trying an open platform feeder. I’ve never used one, but the reviews are good. 

birdwatcher said:

I have only used black sunflower seeds in their shells- a complete hit with the birds. But you’re right, the dropped shells are a bit of a mess. Do you have as much success with the unshelled variety? Also- need to buy a few feeders. Have you had more success with a particular type? I’m thinking of trying an open platform feeder. I’ve never used one, but the reviews are good. 

The unshelled are just as popular.

I used to collect cutesie feeders but the best and longest lived has been this Stokes feeder. I tried one like a hanging platform but  it got pretty messy in the rain. Here's the Stokes. It lasted for a few years it has 2 holders for suet which can be removed. It withstood rain and snow, easy to clean and fill. Too big to fill completely. Compare prices. They vary.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stokes-select-large-hopper-with-suet-holders

Morganna said:

I used to collect cutesie feeders but the best and longest lived has been this Stokes feeder. I tried one like a hanging platform but  it got pretty messy in the rain. Here's the Stokes. It lasted for a few years it has 2 holders for suet which can be removed. It withstood rain and snow, easy to clean and fill. Too big to fill completely. Compare prices. They vary.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stokes-select-large-hopper-with-suet-holders

You rock. Thank you!!

Morganna said:

Follow up question Morganna- what birds come to the suet? Is it worth it to put out? Thank you- again! 

birdwatcher said:

Morganna said:

Follow up question Morganna- what birds come to the suet? Is it worth it to put out? Thank you- again! 

We get at our suet cages:
Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers
Flickers
Red-bellied Woodpeckers
Nuthatches
Starlings
Blue Jays (occasionally)
Sparrows and finches that I cannot distinguish (colorblindness is tough on a birder)
And of course, squirrels.

bikefixed said:

We get at our suet cages:
Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers
Flickers
Red-bellied Woodpeckers
Nuthatches
Starlings
Blue Jays (occasionally)
Sparrows and finches that I cannot distinguish (colorblindness is tough on a birder)
And of course, squirrels.

I may cry tears of joy if I get a woodpecker at my feeder. Thank you so much for the tips. Buying now! 

ps- no one can really really the difference between those finches...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.