The Uncaged Bird -Hummingbird feeder is up!

@Morganna I’m also still waiting for the hummers to arrive.  I will post a link here for the online store for the MGC plant sale, as soon as the website is published and open for business. All plant sales this year will be online.  Pickup of plants will be by appointment and take place behind Town Hall instead of at the town pool.  Will post more information as it becomes available.  

Saw the most startling-white juvenile ibis (bin chicken) this morning. Almost didn’t recognise the species, it was so clean - public bins are so empty, there’s nothing for them to pick through, or get grubby fighting over scraps. (Pic of house opposite: see that slender white bird? You should have seen it fly)

Have a look at those cheeky young swans this week!! Almost adolescent!

They’re developing real swan personalities now, too, you can see they’re no longer just babies following the parents but are more eager to explore on their own and try standing up for themselves (well, against smaller ducks and dead leaves anyway). 

My back yard version of "water birds" 

A female cardinal taking a dip.

Not sure who is the lifeguard. 

A robin and sparrow friend.

I spotted this visitor on my front walk this morning. I think its a Northern Flicker. Unfortunately I couldn't open the front door quietly enough to get a better picture.

mrincredible said:

I spotted this visitor on my front walk this morning. I think its a Northern Flicker. Unfortunately I couldn't open the front door quietly enough to get a better picture.

It is and aren't they beautiful. I'm always happy to see them. I saw a couple of Downy Woodpeckers this morning too far and fast to get a good shot. I've had  quite a few Woodpeckers posted here. Question is why was he strolling on your walk? Trees not up to his standards or too many birds congregating in the branches so just social distancing?

Woo Hoo, Hummingbird just spotted at my feeder, right in time for Earth Day! 

So this guy is some kind of Thrush. Trying to pin down which one. He had a speckled chest but there are similarities between the groups. Maybe a Wood Thrush. I'll try to get a front shot. He is a new regular.

Actually now I'm thinking a Swainson's Thrush. Didn't see him today.

OK spotted the male hummer both morning and evening, almost 8 PM. This was a quick morning shot.

Did I mention that we were driving to the shops a couple of days ago, and stopped for a red light... a large roo casually hopped along the main road back towards the roundabout where we’d come from? (Another normally very busy main road) This was maybe 11am on a weekday!

joanne said:

Did I mention that we were driving to the shops a couple of days ago, and stopped for a red light... a large roo casually hopped along the main road back towards the roundabout where we’d come from? (Another normally very busy main road) This was maybe 11am on a weekday!

Wow, next time you're going to have to back that up with pictures!

Morganna said:

joanne said:

Wow, next time you're going to have to back that up with pictures!

I would have that day, except for migraine and he was quick. I’m going to keep the phone on ‘camera’ now whenever we’re out cheese

Yesterday my male hummer was back and forth at the feeder most of the day. I put up a second one so that I could remove the first one for cleaning but he preferred the Humzinger. Sometimes I change and clean the feeder after dark. They do a dusk visit so if that's your strategy go after 9 or 10 PM.

Haven't seen any hummers for a couple of days. This has happened to me before. So I wonder if these were early travelers on their way up to Canada were the crew from .Florida goes. I read that our birds come from Mexico and beyond.

A chubby little Mockingbird.

A plump robin stopping by for a sip and a dip.

Morganna said:

A plump robin stopping by for a sip and a dip.

This thread makes me so happy oh oh

birdwatcher said:

This thread makes me so happy
oh oh

So glad to have a new birder with us. Did you move in yet, in the midst of this craziness?

By the way, a friend in East Hanover said she had Goldfinches last week. They rarely stay long in my yard but I have enticed them with my fountain and I tried Nyjer seed as well. Problem is it gets moldy very easily after the rain. It compacts in those mesh feeders so if you use them please make sure to change the little black seeds after summer showers.

Late in the season they visit my Coneflowers, but between the deer and the woodchucks, I have a tough time keeping those flowers. 

I see a fluffy Woodchuck waddling around today while the deer snooze in the grass.

Those birds are so cute; I’m sure their songs and calls are delightful. 
Our rainbow lorikeets are falling from trees and mid-flight, and not because they’re tipsy; apparently there’s a new virus attacking them too. So we’re experiencing a lack of bird calls as well as a silence in traffic noise. If it weren’t for household appliances, you’d wonder if you’d drifted into the set of some weird horror film.

Exciting news on the Family Swan front, though! These pics are about 4or 5 days old, the cygnets have grown even more since then. But just look at them here! How long those necks and legs are! Wings are constantly in motion, I think they’re practicing short flights. When we see the family strolling on the grass down the street in the afternoons, the cygnets seem nearly as tall as the parents. And the colour has certainly darkened over the past couple of weeks. 
This morning I’m sure I heard one try to boom-honk like Dad (it came out softer, low and fairly resonant). 

They are lovely @joanne. Heartbreaking to hear about the Lorikeets. I've heard of an outbreak of Avian Flu among our Turkeys.

Funny you mentioned the songs, my weakest skill as a birder is recognizing songs but since I have been sitting quietly in my hammock I have been able to see the birds as they sing. Our trees are just beginning to open their leaves so it is pretty easy to spot the vocalist. 

I  have 3 bird baths and a fountain with a mix of lawn, flowers, shrubs and  woods. It is a very peaceful spot and is attractive to a wide variety of birds and wildlife. Hard to imagine that I was born a city kid.

No new Hummingbird sightings but the pool is open.

I spoke too soon! Just saw a Hummingbird at my feeder so I'm preparing more nectar. Nice timing because my honeysuckle already has buds.

Another surprise. My ex spotted a nest up on the wrought Iron half balcony on the second story. Today I peeked out the window and saw 3 blue eggs in an elaborate Robin's nest! They build an outer nest and then a tightly woven inner nest for the eggs.

I was worried that she would return so I waited for an hour and then peeked out the next room window and there she was. I quickly closed my window and I'm hopeful that she will be fine with the cold front moving is this weekend. She has no overhead shelter but she is pretty safe from predators.

Morganna said:

So glad to have a new birder with us. Did you move in yet, in the midst of this craziness?

Through all the COVID craziness,  we somehow closed on our house, but the sellers are staying until late June. Counting the days until we move to South Orange!  We have a tiny back yard (but a great roof deck). I will need to figure out the best way to hang some bird feeders. I am birdwatching vicariously through your photos! 

The Robin is warning the Mourning Dove about social distancing.

The Dove is measuring by "bird feet."

Do you have any advice about starlings?  They are aggressively taking over the suet cakes and seem to be pushing away other birds.  Is there a type of seed they don't particularly like?

Beth2 said:

Do you have any advice about starlings?  They are aggressively taking over the suet cakes and seem to be pushing away other birds.  Is there a type of seed they don't particularly like?

They pretty much like everything. I put up a nesting box for Woodpeckers but the hole size turned out to be perfect for Starlings so I had a family for the summer. Other birds will get their fill but they are pushy. Then again I have many Blue Jays who also get domineering.

I love putting up suet cakes for the Woodpeckers. 

The only seed they may not like is Nyjer which is mainly a treat for finches. You could give it a try. I'm betting the Starlings have a nest nearby.

What birds do you usually have? And what kind of feeder? Some of the small feeders may make it more difficult for the big guys.

So as not to disturb my friend the Robin on her nest, I shot this from the ground.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.