The pub formerly known as O'Reilly's

Perseverance said:
My husband, 2 year old and I tried to eat there tonight around 5:30pm.  When we arrived, I told the two hostesses that we would like a table for three which included a high chair.  They both looked at me as if I had grown a third head and asked if we had a reservation and what it was under.  I told them I didn't realize that for an early dinner at a pub we would need a reservation.  They just continued to look at me as if I was crazy and then fumbled around to see what to do.  It was like a deer in headlights. At that point, we just thanked them and left and went to Bunny's where there were tables available and friendly staff.

I have to admit, my husband and I were really looking forward to trying Pickett's.  We were disappointed and most likely won't be returning.  I can totally understand needing to wait for a table around a normal dining hour and we're usually happy to do that and grab a drink at the bar without the toddler.  However, having to make reservations for an early 5:30 dinner at a place that amounts to a pub??  This isn't Lorena's.  If this is a place where you do indeed need to make reservations, then you should make that clear on your social media page.  If we knew that in advance, we would be happy to make reservations.  Mostly though, what really turned me off was the attitude of the hostesses which honestly came off as really kind of snotty and unhelpful.  All they needed to say is that, "there's a wait of x many minutes and we can take your name down.  You're welcome to get a seat in the bar while you wait."

If it's popular enough that there is a wait list, then either go somewhere else or wait around to find out why it's so popular.  I usually find that the former is better.

Perseverance said:
My husband, 2 year old and I tried to eat there tonight around 5:30pm.  When we arrived, I told the two hostesses that we would like a table for three which included a high chair.  They both looked at me as if I had grown a third head and asked if we had a reservation and what it was under.  I told them I didn't realize that for an early dinner at a pub we would need a reservation.  They just continued to look at me as if I was crazy and then fumbled around to see what to do.  It was like a deer in headlights. At that point, we just thanked them and left and went to Bunny's where there were tables available and friendly staff.

I have to admit, my husband and I were really looking forward to trying Pickett's.  We were disappointed and most likely won't be returning.  I can totally understand needing to wait for a table around a normal dining hour and we're usually happy to do that and grab a drink at the bar without the toddler.  However, having to make reservations for an early 5:30 dinner at a place that amounts to a pub??  This isn't Lorena's.  If this is a place where you do indeed need to make reservations, then you should make that clear on your social media page.  If we knew that in advance, we would be happy to make reservations.  Mostly though, what really turned me off was the attitude of the hostesses which honestly came off as really kind of snotty and unhelpful.  All they needed to say is that, "there's a wait of x many minutes and we can take your name down.  You're welcome to get a seat in the bar while you wait."

Hi 

So sorry you had a bad experience especially with our staff.  We work a lot with them on training and hospitality so I’m disappointed you felt anything but a warm welcome from our hostesses.  One of them did leave early cause she wasn’t feeling well however that isn’t an excuse.  We will certainly ask them about what happened so we can correct anything on our end. 

As for the timing of when you came in maybe I can add a little context to why that happened.   From 545 till approximately 845 tonight we did a total of 159 covers most of which our reservations.  We were unfortunately completely full from that time period for most walk ins.  If we did have a table open then it was most likely claimed within the next 15-30 minutes so if we had seated you we couldn’t have provided you with the service you deserved cause a reservation would be coming in soon after.  Plus that party would have then had to wait from their original time.  

Reservations help us with kitchen management and also so we don’t create a log jam at certain times where the wait could be an hour or longer.   Our website is close to completion so hoping that will help explain things better.   And of course we wish that our staff had informed you with a little more detail and were more helpful explaining that when you were there.  Again our apologies.  We will talk with them. 

I hope you will give us another try. We love families and are working hard to become your neighborhood bar with great food, drink and service.  

We also have an update on our patio. It is now open with a new fence, lights, music and extended menu.  Again we hope to see you back.  If so please ask for me or our manager Nick so we can personally take care of you.  Thx. 

Cheers. 

Doug Sasfai

973-313-1100 

dsasfai said:
 Hi 

So sorry you had a bad experience especially with our staff.  We work a lot with them on training and hospitality so I’m disappointed you felt anything but a warm welcome from our hostesses.  One of them did leave early cause she wasn’t feeling well however that isn’t an excuse.  We will certainly ask them about what happened so we can correct anything on our end. 

As for the timing of when you came in maybe I can add a little context to why that happened.   From 545 till approximately 845 tonight we did a total of 159 covers most of which our reservations.  We were unfortunately completely full from that time period for most walk ins.  If we did have a table open then it was most likely claimed within the next 15-30 minutes so if we had seated you we couldn’t have provided you with the service you deserved cause a reservation would be coming in soon after.  Plus that party would have then had to wait from their original time.  

Reservations help us with kitchen management and also so we don’t create a log jam at certain times where the wait could be an hour or longer.   Our website is close to completion so hoping that will help explain things better.   And of course we wish that our staff had informed you with a little more detail and were more helpful explaining that when you were there.  Again our apologies.  We will talk with them. 

I hope you will give us another try. We love families and are working hard to become your neighborhood bar with great food, drink and service.  

We also have an update on our patio. It is now open with a new fence, lights, music and extended menu.  Again we hope to see you back.  If so please ask for me or our manager Nick so we can personally take care of you.  Thx. 

Cheers. 

Doug Sasfai
973-313-1100 

If it helps please go to open table and search Pickett’s.  There you can make a reservation for most nights and times.  Thx again.  

I tried to eat at Burger King yesterday at approximately 12 pm.  Unfortunately, upon my arrival, I learned that there was a line of people ten plus deep who had arrived before me.  Rather than wait, I took my business to Wendy’s where the wait was much more manageable.

Perseverance's experience seems like one where both sides could have done a better job of being more understanding of the other.

Perhaps the restaurant should make more clear on its website and on FB and Instagram that reservations are strongly encouraged during peak times. And it does seem like the hostesses could have been a bit more friendly and apologetic. That said, for them to say, "we're sorry, we won't have a table until 10 pm," likely would not have done much to make the customers feel better.

I don't see the point of boycotting the place if it's a place you think you would like. I also don't get the point of dismissing it as a "pub" or comparing it negatively with Lorena's. Seems to me they put a lot of time and energy into renovating the space and putting together a nice menu and bar and wine selection, as much as (if not more than) any other recent restaurant opening in the area. It shouldn't be surprising that it's crowded on weekends. And it does seem that many reservation openings exist there tonight and next weekend, it's not like you have to reserve weeks in advance.

If I had to guess, upon arriving and being told that there weren’t available seats when they walked in, Perseverance was indignant and made her feelings known to the hostess. The hostess who should expect occasional snootiness should have thicker skin and not respond in kind. However, to criticize a restaurant for being busy when you don’t expect it to be is ridiculous. As soon as you walked in you should have realized you miscalculated when you saw how crowded it was. As the parent of a small child no doubt eating eating within a particular time is a priority to avoid an upset child. But it’s up to you and your partner to plan accordingly. Doug was very gracious in his response, but if I were him I wouldn’t want your business. More trouble than it’s worth. 

apple44 said:

I don't see the point of boycotting the place if it's a place you think you would like. 

I could see it if your screen name were Disinclination.

gonets said:

As soon as you walked in you should have realized you miscalculated when you saw how crowded it was.

FWIW, my impression from the post was that it wasn’t crowded at the time.

DaveSchmidt said:

gonets said:

As soon as you walked in you should have realized you miscalculated when you saw how crowded it was.

Also how I read it.  However, if existing reservations required all tables by 6:15-6:30, you can't seat a walk-in - unless they agree to vacate the table at a certain time.  I have had restaurants offering me that option; then it is up to me to accept or not.

DaveSchmidt said:

I just reread and I don’t see any reason to draw that conclusion. I figured she would have added this detail. If I’m wrong on that then I could see being annoyed by the response of of the hostess.  

gonets said:
 I just reread and I don’t see any reason to draw that conclusion. I figured she would have added this detail. If I’m wrong on that then I could see being annoyed by the response of of the hostess.  

If we are physically able to seat a walk in we will certainly never turn someone away.  All of the open tables at the time were soon to be claimed in the next 15-30 minutes with reservations.  Again our apologies for not communicating that properly.  If the family is so inclined to give us another chance I hope that they look for me personally so we can take care of them.  

Have a great rest of your day. Hopefully we will see you at Picketts tonight. 

Doug

gonets said:

Be that as it may, hopefully the comments by Doug Sasfai and tomcat help the rest of us understand why tables even in an empty room might not be available at 5:30.

As far as I can tell, Opentable will not take a reservation for 5 at all (I’ve looked at multiple non-weekend nights)  Am I missing something? 

susan1014 said:
As far as I can tell, Opentable will not take a reservation for 5 at all (I’ve looked at multiple non-weekend nights)  Am I missing something? 

Anything above 4 you need to call us at the restaurant and we will put it in.  Because our dining room is small and we have limited large tables if we allowed larger parties to book on their own it could cause logistical issues.  If you call us we will happily set it up for you.   You can also email me at dsasfai@verizon.net with the day and time you like and I’d be more than happy to help.  Thx.  

Thanks for the details...another place that treats a family of five as a “larger party” exception.  We don’t generally plan days ahead for dining out, except for special occasions, so likely won’t be dining with you any time soon, given your seating limitations (we’ve called a couple of times, but not with enough lead time for a larger table).  Very glad to see you off to such a successful start, even if you aren’t the place for us.

susan1014 said:
Thanks for the details...another place that treats a family of five as a “larger party” exception.  We don’t generally plan days ahead for dining out, except for special occasions, so likely won’t be dining with you any time soon, given your seating limitations (we’ve called a couple of times, but not with enough lead time for a larger table).  Very glad to see you off to such a successful start, even if you aren’t the place for us.

I actually just spoke to my manager and asked him to change the maximum number to 6 instead of 4.  Our 4 top tables are larger and can fit up to 6 without moving tables around.  We have 5 and 6 tops sit at them all the time so it only makes sense that our open table procedures reflect that.  Thx for the heads up and helping us make that correction.  Hope to see you there soon.  

dsasfai said:
 I actually just spoke to my manager and asked him to change the maximum number to 6 instead of 4.  Our 4 top tables are larger and can fit up to 6 without moving tables around.  We have 5 and 6 tops sit at them all the time so it only makes sense that our open table procedures reflect that.  Thx for the heads up and helping us make that correction.  Hope to see you there soon.  

ps.  just to be clear we can still take larger parties over 6.   Just please call ahead to talk to one of us to do so.   Thanks.

dsasfai said:

dsasfai said:
ps.  just to be clear we can still take larger parties over 6.   Just please call ahead to talk to one of us to do so.   Thanks.

Thank you!

This thread is making me want to go to Pickett's again. Next week both kids are away. . .

Do I need a reservation for two?

Doug, thanks for being in the conversation. 

jersey_boy said:
This thread is making me want to go to Pickett's again. Next week both kids are away. . .

We love to hear that.  We have some great new specials that feature our chef Jose Marquez.  Including a new preparation for our NY strip and his signature Peruvian half chicken.  Amongst other things.  

90%  of the time during the week we can get u in as a 2 for a walk in.  That said if it’s Friday or Saturday at peek hours then that number could go down. 

Also for those that don’t know in the months ahead we will be starting live music as well.  Featuring great local, regional and even some national bands.   Stay tuned!

dsasfai said:

Also for those that don’t know in the months ahead we will be starting live music as well.  Featuring great local, regional and even some national bands.   Stay tuned!

You should try to look up the acoustic duo who played in Spiotta Park in SO this past Friday night July 5. They were really good (but I’ve been unable to locate their name).

Smedley said:

dsasfai said:

You should try to look up the acoustic duo who played in Spiotta Park in SO this past Friday night July 5. They were really good (but I’ve been unable to locate their name).

I passed those guys as they were singing Summer Breeze. Sounded just like Seals and Crofts.

A delicious early Sunday evening  dinner for 2: 

skewer shrimp appetizer ( large enough to to split), 

an Amish Roast Chicken Breast, 

and a Vegetable   Farfale 

A House Special Margarita for openers  

And A Blueberry Crumble with a huge scoop of Vanilla Ice cream to close.

Everything served with enthusiasm and hot off the stove ( except the vanilla ice cream ) 

Worth a visit anytime and a great addition to the Maplewood food scene. 

jersey_boy said:

Let us know when...maybe we can meet up, although then we might need a reservation

drummerboy said:
 I passed those guys as they were singing Summer Breeze. Sounded just like Seals and Crofts.

they're called The [mma] Project.  One of the guys is on MOL but I won't out his screen name.  He can do that if he wants to grin If anyone wants his FB contact info to send him a message, PM me.

Finally made it to Pickett's.  Burger is excellent!!  I had it with the bacon jam - nice!  Simone as happy with the fish tacos and the blueberry crisp was a nice finish.  I also really like the beer glasses.  Place looks great - I like the look of the chairs in the main space, but wished they had a little cushion on them.

jamie said:
Finally made it to Pickett's.  Burger is excellent!!  I had it with the bacon jam - nice!  Simone as happy with the fish tacos and the blueberry crisp was a nice finish.  I also really like the beer glasses.  Place looks great - I like the look of the chairs in the main space, but wished they had a little cushion on them.

Jamie, what kind of fish in the fish tacos and was it grilled or fried? Menu doesn’t  specify.

I was also happy with the fish tacos- pretty sure grilled

Yes need cushions!

Is the beer a pint?

I agree with everything above including the dining room chairs.  The bar chairs are super comfortable though.  

jeffl said:
I agree with everything above including the dining room chairs.  The bar chairs are super comfortable though.  

jeffl is a fricking expert on bar stools. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!