The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

KarenMarlowe said:

Ha! Well, I've heard of a journalist referred to as a "journo" but it is definitely slangy. "Aroar" should be there, IMO.

Same two words I was thinking of. But I’d take “journo” over “pfft” any day.

KarenMarlowe said:

Ha! Well, I've heard of a journalist referred to as a "journo" but it is definitely slangy. "Aroar" should be there, IMO.

Yeah, journo?  Aroar is in the crossword all the time.

Day before they wouldn't accept chimenea, which would have been a pangram.

jimmurphy said:

Day before they wouldn't accept chimenea, which would have been a pangram.

I know! I tried it more than once.

one day I kept trying "dobro" and it wasn't accepted. I suppose the editors will claim it's a brand name and not the actual name of the instrument. But musicians use it to refer to any resonator guitar of any brand, so to me it should have been included.

Only miss yesterday was “koan.”  At least I learned a new word.

jimmurphy said:

Only miss yesterday was “koan.”  At least I learned a new word.

Nice! I missed that and a few other simple ones. 

It's a go-for-Queen kind of day! But now, how am I going to procrastinate the rest of the day?

zucca said:

It's a go-for-Queen kind of day! But now, how am I going to procrastinate the rest of the day?

Redactle?   smile

marksierra said:

Redactle?  
smile

Haha, yeah, maybe. 

Got the QB today grin

Stepped away from it for a couple of hours, and got the last word almost immediately when I returned. Hard to believe I hadn't got it earlier. It's actually one of those words that shows up in a lot of the puzzles, so I'd have thought it would have occurred to me right away. 

ml1 said:

Got the QB today
grin

Stepped away from it for a couple of hours, and got the last word almost immediately when I returned. Hard to believe I hadn't got it earlier. It's actually one of those words that shows up in a lot of the puzzles, so I'd have thought it would have occurred to me right away. 

congrats on yesterday's QB  question I missed it by these two: friary and fratty...and it looks like I'm going to be two short again from QB today.

alha said:

congrats on yesterday's QB 
question
I missed it by these two: friary and fratty...and it looks like I'm going to be two short again from QB today.

My misses were affray and itty. Duh on itty but I’m surprised so many got affray (spellcheck doesn’t even recognize it). Was surprised fratty was accepted. 

Same on today.

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

question
I missed it by these two: friary and fratty...and it looks like I'm going to be two short again from QB today.

My misses were affray and itty. Duh on itty but I’m surprised so many got affray (spellcheck doesn’t even recognize it). Was surprised fratty was accepted. 

Same on today.

I didn't really know if affray is a real word, but somehow it was stuck in my head from hearing it somewhere.  My last word was array, which is one of those words that only uses 3 letters, so it appears pretty frequently in the puzzle.

I think I'm going to fall a little short today even 

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

question

Same on today.

I didn't really know if affray is a real word, but somehow it was stuck in my head from hearing it somewhere.  My last word was array, which is one of those words that only uses 3 letters, so it appears pretty frequently in the puzzle.

I think I'm going to fall a little short today even 

Affray I missed just by not seeing it, but fratty? C'mon! That's not a word!

Yesterday was my first QB ever. I have been following this thread for months and admiring all of you. I was really surprised when it happened. Fratty came to mind because of preppy, and because the accepted words are often ones I often think are not quite legitimate.

KarenMarlowe said:

Affray I missed just by not seeing it, but fratty? C'mon! That's not a word!

sorry but fratty really is a word. It's just not very commonly used in NJ. I first heard it in grad school. And it was apparently a pretty commonly used word on southern college campuses. 

Got the QB two days in a row grin

ml1 said:

Got the QB two days in a row
grin

Me too! Might be the first time I did it two days in a row. Can’t remember. 

Bluehouse1 said:

Yesterday was my first QB ever. I have been following this thread for months and admiring all of you. I was really surprised when it happened. Fratty came to mind because of preppy, and because the accepted words are often ones I often think are not quite legitimate.

Great work!

Bluehouse1 said:

yes! congrats!

jimmurphy said:

Bluehouse1 said:

Great work!

Woo hoo! Congratulations!

zucca said:

ml1 said:

grin

when I used the hints, I would get the QB about 3 times a week, so I've had a few back-to-backs in the past. This week was the first without using the hints. Weirdest thing yesterday was that I was certain I had entered "acidic" but with one word left to go, I checked my list and realized I had not. So the last one word was pretty easy grin

ml1 said:

when I used the hints, I would get the QB about 3 times a week, so I've had a few back-to-backs in the past. This week was the first without using the hints. Weirdest thing yesterday was that I was certain I had entered "acidic" but with one word left to go, I checked my list and realized I had not. So the last one word was pretty easy
grin

ml1 said:

zucca said:

ml1 said:

grin

when I used the hints, I would get the QB about 3 times a week, so I've had a few back-to-backs in the past. This week was the first without using the hints. Weirdest thing yesterday was that I was certain I had entered "acidic" but with one word left to go, I checked my list and realized I had not. So the last one word was pretty easy
grin

QB two days in a row is totally astounding to me. I have a grand total of 2 QB's for this entire year  tongue rolleye

used the hints after I got to Genius yesterday and got stuck with 7 words to go. I got the QB pretty quickly after that. My last word was "lineal", and I'm sure I would never have got it without the hint.

On a roll. Got the QB for the 3rd time in the past ten days without using hints grin

today is a good day to go for it. 

Well done! 2 away, and just didn’t see them…

jimmurphy said:

Well done! 2 away, and just didn’t see them…

One word short of QB. It's driving me nuts.

one short yesterday, and they wouldn't take hoyden.  instead, it was hoodoo.  oh well.

mjc said:

one short yesterday, and they wouldn't take hoyden.  instead, it was hoodoo.  oh well.

Same for me.  Hoodoo was my downfall.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.