The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

Quite hard. I’m knocking on the door but can’t get the pangram so far. 

I managed to make it to Genius without the pangram today. I finally did get the pangram which puts me at 28/128 for the day. I'm pretty sure those numbers will be my final total.

jimmurphy said:

Heynj said:

Well. There will be no Genius level for me today. That’s for sure. 

Yup. No pangram for me either. Maybe it will come to me, but I am pretty sure I am going to have to settle for amazing (and be embarrassed at how easy the word was tomorrow).

marylago said:

jimmurphy said:

Heynj said:

Yup. No pangram for me either. Maybe it will come to me, but I am pretty sure I am going to have to settle for amazing (and be embarrassed at how easy the word was tomorrow).

(28 July. Centre letter 'O')

I expect to be roundly embarrassed, too.  After yesterday's sterling effort, to be stuck at 18 words / 57 points and no pangram is galling, to say the least!

jimmurphy said:

Heynj said:

Today is very tough.

Diathanon would do, but it's a product name.

I think the actual pangram for yesterday was stupid, so I don't feel quite as stupid for missing it.

marylago said:

I think the actual pangram for yesterday was stupid, so I don't feel quite as stupid for missing it.

Agree.

Gotta have your "ing" words cooking, but even those only get you so far today.

I have never gotten to Genius as quickly as I did today. Stared at those letters for at least five minutes before I even saw one word, then it was off to the races, all in one sitting, including two pangrams. However…all but two of my words (!!) are gerunds, and this will, I know, sound nuts, but it all feels so similar that it wasn’t much fun!

I think the key to the puzzle is to recognize a common prefix or suffix and go to town.
Things like -ing, -ed, -tion, un-, dis-, and so on.

Today was -ing. Yesterday was -tion.

Heynj said:

I have never gotten to Genius as quickly as I did today. Stared at those letters for at least five minutes before I even saw one word, then it was off to the races, all in one sitting, including two pangrams. However…all but two of my words (!!) are gerunds, and this will, I know, sound nuts, but it all feels so similar that it wasn’t much fun!

same thing happened to me....saw nothing to start with and then realized it was an -ing day. I'm calling it a day with 31/213.

alha said:

Heynj said:

same thing happened to me....saw nothing to start with and then realized it was an -ing day. I'm calling it a day with 31/213.

Yeah, I got to 30/198 (you must have gotten longer words, alha). Not pursuing it any further.

But I am upset that luminizing is not a word! Maybe just in beauty products...

No inspiration today. Probably calling it quits at Genius, 181 w/ 26 words  

There's a fitting long word in today's Bee. Not a pangram though.

As others have said, I was unable to come up with anything besides mill and gill. I had to put it down before I became distraught at my cognitive decline.

37/251. Close but can’t get the last 5 points. 

ETA: Missed “ilium”. Thought it was iliac. Oh, it is. Oh well…

KarenMarlowe said:

But I am upset that luminizing is not a word! Maybe just in beauty products...

Me too. Seems some light has been shed on names today as well. ;-)

Limn?  Limning?  Really?

BaseballMom said:

Limn?  Limning?  Really?

I got those only because I remembered them from prior Bees and had the same reaction as you. 

jimmurphy said:

I got those only because I remembered them from prior Bees and had the same reaction as you. 

me too... grin

Today's puzzle turned out to be another head-scratcher for me...got to Genius without the pangram and managed to get the pangram later. I'm done for today with 39/201.

34/172 for me. Genius, but the pangram is stupid. Got it by stabbing at the dark. Tomorrow is another day.

37/166, Freakin’ Amazing!

Giving up. Sure I’ll be slapping my head in the morning.

jimmurphy said:

37/166, Freakin’ Amazing!

Giving up. Sure I’ll be slapping my head in the morning.

Me too… 

Anyone ever guess a word that is denied and then have it on your list of missing words the next day?

For example, on yesterday's puzzle I am 99.99% certain I guessed "mama" and it was denied. Then there it is on my list of missed words today.

yahooyahoo said:

Anyone ever guess a word that is denied and then have it on your list of missing words the next day?

For example, on yesterday's puzzle I am 99.99% certain I guessed "mama" and it was denied. Then there it is on my list of missed words today.

I thought that happened to me, and thought I must have just misremembered entering it. Now maybe not? Though I suppose it's also possible we both misremembered. Still, now also seems more possible it was an actual bug.

YES!! That has happened to me more than once. Thought I was hallucinating!! (Misery loves company?)

I think it's more like the mind playing tricks on itself, because it's usually very simple words that I seem to think I've entered and they are "unchecked" the next day.  I would miss 'idea' or 'oleo' but never 'vagabond', for example. 

I’m pangramless today-ugh

oots said:

I’m pangramless today-ugh

It's not an easy one, and I had to remember how to spell it...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!