The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

got "rood" but missed "rand"...also missed "dojo" and "runaround" for a total of 3 yesterday. 

jimmurphy said:

I missed 5.

Rood? Rand?

I’ll never get QB…

jimmurphy said:

I missed 5.

Rood? Rand?

I’ll never get QB…

Rood is an old measure of area, while Rand is the name of the currency unit used mainly in South Africa and a couple of neighbouring countries.

I missed eight, so there are a lot more words I have to learn as well.

Today's center letter M puzzle is quite the challenge. I'm pretty much maxed out at 33 words/152 points and am done for the day.

marksierra said:

Rood is an old measure of area, while Rand is the name of the currency unit used mainly in South Africa and a couple of neighbouring countries.

I looked those up, so hopefully will remember. The other three were just oversights. Have to do a better job looking for compound words.

marksierra said:

jimmurphy said:

I missed 5.

Rood? Rand?

I’ll never get QB…

I always think of rood as a Christian term.

alha said:

Today's center letter M puzzle is quite the challenge. I'm pretty much maxed out at 33 words/152 points and am done for the day.

2̶9̶/̶1̶2̶0̶.̶.̶.̶ Calling it, unless my stupid brain comes up with a word on its own...

Scratch that. 31/132. Just thought of a couple of words.

I’m kind of stalled out at 152 as well. 

Also, just never forgot Yeats’ “To the rose upon the rood of time,” so I get that one!

Today's center letter F puzzle is turning out to be another low word-count one...it looks like about 30 possible words for QB. So far I'm at 24 words/121 points and am ready to call it quits. 

What? Effing is not accepted when there are all kinds of other made-up words???

bikefixed said:

what the eff?

bikefixed said:

no effing way  cheese

marylago said:

Rood was in today's crossword.

marylago said:

I have officially given up trying for QB.  

Yesterday's "Mammon" did it.  If you are not going to accept obscure words, how does a New Testament word meaning material wealth that is certainly not commonly used make it?  

The goal is Genius and a Pangram. 

If I get there quickly, I'll keep looking, but c'mon - "Mammon"?

oots said:

what the eff?

Ya see, THAT is not acceptable because it only has 3 letters.

Got all but one of yesterday's words!  What the heck is 'fanfic'?

Exactly with you on yesterday’s. I wasn’t gonna get that no matter how long I looked.

Fanfic is definitely slang. I didn't have time to spend on yesterday's puzzle so I didn't feel bad about missing that one. grin

marksierra said:

Got all but one of yesterday's words!  What the heck is 'fanfic'?

I missed affiance/ing and of course fanfic. I don't like puzzles with -ing and -ed words.

alha said:

I missed affiance/ing and of course fanfic. I don't like puzzles with -ing and -ed words.

Yeah, what the hell are those affiance things? I know the concept of fanfic but slang is a little maddening on this, especially when there are so many other words that should be accepted.

My oh my...so many words in today's center letter O puzzle. I'm up to 67 words/250 points and am just about ready to throw in the towel for the day.

I'm currently at Amazing today - not too many words, someone should be able to hit Queen status today.

im at genius today ( which is good enough-no need to look for more)

And there it is! First time.

Is there any music when you achieve that?

I would like it if they would say how many words were possible.

jimmurphy said:

Congrats! I'm missing one word...no first time for me today  LOL...again

jamie said:

Is there any music when you achieve that?

I would like it if they would say how many words were possible.

I don’t think so. My iPad volume, though low, is not set to zero and I didn’t hear anything.

jimmurphy said:

Congratulations!

marylago said:

Congratulations!

Thanks! I kinda lucked into an obscure word and a slight modification to a word I had already found got me to 25.

Alha, maybe keep trying! My son got to Queen Bee early today. I was one word away for much of the day and finally got it too. 

I haven't noticed any music, but in my household when Lorde's "Royals" plays, that's the tell.

zucca said:

Alha, maybe keep trying! My son got to Queen Bee early today. I was one word away for much of the day and finally got it too. 

I haven't noticed any music, but in my household when Lorde's "Royals" plays, that's the tell.

Thanks for the encouragement but that one missing word ..."drawly" ... totally eluded me. Oddly enough, I did get "drawl" but it didn't dawn on me to add a "y" to make it "drawly" which, of course, makes me ask myself "y" oh "y" didn't i think of that  cheese

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.