The New York Times Crossword Puzzle thread

marylago said:

Me neither. I got genius but still not the pangram. I can see it but I can't see it. lol!

I reached Genius without the pangram....something which I thought wasn't possible. Later I went back and got the pangram, which was quite a doozy today.

Me too! Well over genius but no pangram. My son says it's gettable, so still trying.

Finally got it! Thank goodness Spelling Bee isn’t timed like the crossword is so I don’t have to know how much time I’ve wasted on it.

zucca said:

Me too! Well over genius but no pangram. My son says it's gettable, so still trying.

nailed it! 50 words 233 points- my best effort to date

oots said:

nailed it! 50 words 233 points- my best effort to date

Congrats on your best effort to date! I have no idea what my highest word/points are, but I think it's safe to say that I won't be seeing totals like today's (61 words and 286 points) anytime soon or possibly anytime ever.

I can't get past 32 words - argh!  lol  At least I'm at Great.

made it to Genius - the pangram was challenging

jamie said:

made it to Genius - the pangram was challenging

I have 53 words; 222 points; at genius; still missing the pangram.  question  

I don't wanna talk about it

bikefixed said:

I don't wanna talk about it

oh oh

I've still got yesterday's game going. I've got 274 points so far.

bikefixed said:

Go ahead. Laugh.

Never did get it. 

marylago said:

Never did get it. 

It was stupid.

bikefixed said:

marylago said:

Never did get it. 

It was stupid.

It was indeed. I got today's. Didn't even realize it until after I hit enter. lol!

Anyone else cranky about a word not counting today?

zucca said:

Always.

I'm still stuck on yesterday's puzzle, and getting nowhere fast.

Crossword or Spelling Bee? The bee disappears for me the following day. But yeah, yesterday took forever  

drummerboy said:

I'm still stuck on yesterday's puzzle, and getting nowhere fast.

The Bee. I'm behind on the xw puzzles too.

If you just stay on the web page for the bee, you can play a game for at least several days. Once you leave the page though, you can't get it back.

zucca said:

A couple words, in fact. Grrr!

Oh makes sense. I do it in the app and actually appreciate the time limit it imposes.

drummerboy said:

The Bee. I'm behind on the xw puzzles too.

If you just stay on the web page for the bee, you can play a game for at least several days. Once you leave the page though, you can't get it back.

The one I’m thinking of is so good!

marylago said:

A couple words, in fact. Grrr!

I don't do the Spelling Bee puzzle so I've skimmed over these comments. However, I am a fan of the Acrostic which shows up every other week in the Magazine. It always take a bit of time but it's very satisfying when completed. Anyone else do it? Yesterday's was particularly frustrating due the very odd last name of the author whose' quote is cited in the puzzle. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I don't do the Spelling Bee puzzle so I've skimmed over these comments. However, I am a fan of the Acrostic which shows up every other week in the Magazine. It always take a bit of time but it's very satisfying when completed. Anyone else do it? Yesterday's was particularly frustrating due the very odd last name of the author whose' quote is cited in the puzzle. 

I don’t do the Acrostic. Is it only available in the print edition? Not finding it in the app.

I enjoy the acrostic too (online). 

jimmurphy, i don't know if it's in the app, but it's available (along with its archive) online by subscription, which i think is about $20 a year for all the puzzles and archives.

Is it considered obsession if i've worked my way back through the acrostic archive to 2004?

Recently i've picked up Spelling Bee and sometimes Tiles.  Interesting thing to me in Spelling Bee is coming back to it off and on during the day, can usually squeeze out 2 or 3 more words.  Annoying thing, of course, is their limited word list, groused about earlier in this thread.

I don't get tiles - it seems too easy.  Am I missing something?  What's the best score?  I got 41 today.  Maybe it's just a no-brainer type of thing.  I do like vertex, something satisfying about it.

Most of Tiles is pretty no-brainer, but there's one design that comes up (eg, yesterday) where the parts are more complicated and overlap, and it gets fairly challenging, at least for me.

iirc, best score most days is about 40, but i think yesterday was 50+.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.