The New York Times Crossword Puzzle thread

mjc said:

2 or 3 words i thought should count today, including lepton.  Thanks (i guess) to this thread, i'm now hooked on Spelling Bee in addition to crossword and acrostic.  Having a little trouble getting used to reusing letters, but all good except for some snarling about their word list.

I still can't do acrostics.

drummerboy said:

I still can't do acrostics.

I think you have to be old.

ETA: and how could i forget? the most debilitating of all, sudokus....

tenpenny not a word?

argh....

I complained about "poppet" not being a word once and it was a word the next time it appeared. I'm sure I'm not the only one who complained, but he does amend the list sometimes.

zucca said:

I complained about "poppet" not being a word once and it was a word the next time it appeared. I'm sure I'm not the only one who complained, but he does amend the list sometimes.

hmm, I forgot what word I complained about. will have to dig up the email, but I should check the next time it comes up.

Oh! The one that recently went from not counting to counting (I want to say it was during the same week) was “galangal.”

Papadum is next.  I mean, they can't permit naan and not allow it, right?

I try it every time! Merriam-Webster seems to prefer "popadam" and "popadum," neither of which I've ever seen.

But also, "pfft" is a word, supposedly, in Spelling Bee land. This is the kind of thing that makes attaining Queen Bee even more of a challenge than it already is.

My very first genuis level ( without any help!) this morning

oots said:

My very first genuis level ( without any help!) this morning

how many words?  I'm up to ten so far on today's.  have a "Nice" mark so far.

ah I see the numbers - now I have Great - 12 words and a 68 number.

Yesterday was troubling. I only got hemlock at the very end of the day but some days something with all the letters jumps right out at me.

That's first word was funny. I used dang...

bikefixed said:

Yesterday was troubling. I only got hemlock at the very end of the day but some days something with all the letters jumps right out at me.

That's first word was funny. I used dang...

dang-me too #1

1st pangram was #2

jamie said:

ah I see the numbers - now I have Great - 12 words and a 68 number.

i have 21, but i think I hit genius at 19

2 pangrams

Fun Thursday xwd puzzle.

oots said:

i have 21, but i think I hit genius at 19

2 pangrams

Here's the point system - I did get one pangram today and am currently amazing at 15 words.

geez. I got 29 words and I'm only at great.

The puzzle was fun today! 

And three pangrams yesterday was pretty amazing. Sadly, I was never going to try "duding."

zucca said:

And three pangrams yesterday was pretty amazing. Sadly, I was never going to try "duding."

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I'm a bit lost on today's puzzle. I got the words formed by the circled letters but have squares I don't know what to do with. I'll keep workin' it. 

jamie said:

Here's the point system - I did get one pangram today and am currently amazing at 15 words.

Just curious...where did you get the ranking for today's puzzle?  I didn't know such a thing existed...thanks for posting it here. I'm an avid daily player and most days make it to Genius. Today I managed to come up with 38 words which was worth 155 points. 

alha said:

Just curious...where did you get the ranking for today's puzzle?  I didn't know such a thing existed...thanks for posting it here. I'm an avid daily player and most days make it to Genius. Today I managed to come up with 38 words which was worth 155 points. 

Wow - 38 words is impressive.  Just click on the point number (155) and you'll see the list.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

zucca said:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I'm a bit lost on today's puzzle. I got the words formed by the circled letters but have squares I don't know what to do with. I'll keep workin' it. 

Ah, so what I thought I didn't do needn't be done. So, it's done.  I didn't care much for it. 

jamie said:

Wow - 38 words is impressive.  Just click on the point number (155) and you'll see the list.

Thanks so much for that helpful tip...you can be sure I'll be putting it to good use daily. I was also happy to see that by clicking on the point number, it reveals an email address that can be used to address any concerns about the puzzle.

eta: I just found another word and am now at 39 words for a total of 163 points.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Ah, so what I thought I didn't do needn't be done. So, it's done.  I didn't care much for it. 

SPOILERS:

My son texted me last night "let me know when you do the Thursday and if you're annoyed at it." He did it on the website and I did it on the app, and we had to do different things (as in, he had to do something and I had to not do something) to complete it. Weird.

The March 19 Bee has Ron Paul as an unofficial pangram.   The official one may describe him. 

dave said:

The March 19 Bee has Ron Paul as an unofficial pangram.   The official one may describe him. 

great observation on your part.... grin

Wow! Great Thursday puzzle today. April Fools Day! 

Clever and tricky. Took me quite a while. Each gimmick clue was a challenge. Loved it! 

I finished the puzzle, but I'm still trying to understand 33 and 50 across.

Guess I'll have to see what Rex has to say.

To suggest a word, did you click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the Rankings page, or did you copy the address into your email program?

I’ve clicked on the hyperlink several times.  I just say “ _______ is a word.”  Maybe I should be more gracious?   grin   I don’t even remember what words I’ve suggested.

zucca said:

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.